Rejectomancy

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Heard back from One Buck Horror regarding my query today.

Is it just me, or does "still awaiting review" sound like they haven't even seen it yet? I know they've been behind lately, but the Duotrope stats are basically 21-44 (with the exception of one personal rejection). I'm at 55 days, so I was expecting something saying "it's being scrutinized."

Yet, nothing of the sort.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Umm.. guys, what's with partially censoring out market names? It's not like you're badmouthing them or anything.
Well, in my experience, the editors can hear about it thanks to google--damn you google. And since we've been complaining about WP lately...

*tries to not sound like a whiner*

Heard back from One Buck Horror regarding my query today.

Is it just me, or does "still awaiting review" sound like they haven't even seen it yet? I know they've been behind lately, but the Duotrope stats are basically 21-44 (with the exception of one personal rejection). I'm at 55 days, so I was expecting something saying "it's being scrutinized."

Yet, nothing of the sort.
Basically, they just want you to sit on your hands and wait. I was told something similar from The Un-uninvited. :tongue

Writing: The waiting game.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
I lurk on this thread normally, but I had to share this one, because it made me feel so silly for pouting over some of my longer rejections.

My sister just came in the room to tell me that she had received a rejection e-mail. From a market she submitted to in October 2010.

The icing on that horrible slice of cake? It was a form rejection.

At least she didn't even remember that she had submitted!

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was a couple of poems. I guess they were thinking really hard about those few words. ;)

Shadow

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
storiesyoumightlike.wordpress.com
1 day rejection from 42 M*gazine.(edited to be on the safe side) :chair

I lurk on this thread normally, but I had to share this one, because it made me feel so silly for pouting over some of my longer rejections.

My sister just came in the room to tell me that she had received a rejection e-mail. From a market she submitted to in October 2010.

The icing on that horrible slice of cake? It was a form rejection.

At least she didn't even remember that she had submitted!
WOW! Almost 2 years with a market, just for a form rejection. :( Imagine all the other places she could have sent her writings in the mean time.:rant:

:Hug2:to her.

Last edited:

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
It took me a couple of minutes to track this back down, but here's a blog post from someone who waited SIX YEARS for a form rejection.

Gah. Some markets have a disturbing lack of basic respect for writers. It's not like they depend on writers for their product or anything.... :rant:

I'm endlessly grateful for (1) duotrope and (2) markets like Lightspeed and Coloured Lens who respond all but instantly. Markets who turn over slush at lightning speed will get the pick of the litter in the long run, since everyone will submit there first. Ideally, this will drive the lollygaggers to either pick it up or die off.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm endlessly grateful for (1) duotrope and (2) markets like Lightspeed and Coloured Lens who respond all but instantly. Markets who turn over slush at lightning speed will get the pick of the litter in the long run, since everyone will submit there first. Ideally, this will drive the lollygaggers to either pick it up or die off.

I think you're absolutely right about them getting first pick, Sarah. My order of submissions for pro markets is pretty much organized by response time. Clarkesworld and Lightspeed see my work first, then markets that respond in about a month or less, and then it trickles down to the slowpokes. Of course, I dream of fabulous publications like those two accepting my stories, so they'd probably be pretty close to the top positions anyway!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
43 days to a round 2 R from DSF. Looks like they're responding to a lot of round 2's this morning, according to Duotrope.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
43 days to a round 2 R from DSF. Looks like they're responding to a lot of round 2's this morning, according to Duotrope.

Ugh, sorry to hear about that.

I got a 1-day R from S&S 27 for my submission there. It appears like it might be a higher-tier form. Story has already been resubmitted.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear about those Rs, everyone. :Hug2:Hugs!

Waiting patiently for the crickets to cease. Maybe if I eat some of them, I'll get my Rs faster. :evil

All work and no play makes kd a dull girl.

I've tried it. All you end up with is cricket legs between your teeth.

Congrats on the R's everyone; each one is one less to the next acceptance.