What Would Be A Good Age?

Snowybunny12

Registered
Reaction score
I am aware that most people don't have loads of thrilling material to write about at age thirteen. However if you have an idea that would work best in memoir form and you have enough material to make it work- what would be a good age to consider it seriously? And what's the market for younger-then-twenty memoir writers? Thanks!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

When you've got a good story, you write it. Assuming you're a writer, of course. So, go ahead!

The market: Don't worry about it. Since memoirs by teens are rare, they're also marketable.

Go for it! And good luck!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Snowybunny12

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I've started writing it so I guess I'll see how this goes...

Though I do have another question- what are the general guidelines with show vs. tell in memoir? I have a hard time with that in other genres :tongue

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Unless you're a celebrity, you show as much as you can. You use narrative summary to connect scenes and fill in the less interesting, but necessary bits.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I survived

Registered
Reaction score
You can definately start writing now if you don't finish for a while and want to add a couple of yrs as you go fine. Or you can wait until your removed from your situation and then write it as an adult looking back. This might be best if what you're writing about is traumatic and you're not ready to face it head on yet. I'm thinking of a Child Called It and The Lost Boy by David Pelzer. Both were written when he was an adult but from the POV of a child. Either way definitely keep a journal as you go so you have lots of memories to pull from. Annmarie

Snowybunny12

Registered
Reaction score
You can definately start writing now if you don't finish for a while and want to add a couple of yrs as you go fine. Or you can wait until your removed from your situation and then write it as an adult looking back. This might be best if what you're writing about is traumatic and you're not ready to face it head on yet. I'm thinking of a Child Called It and The Lost Boy by David Pelzer. Both were written when he was an adult but from the POV of a child. Either way definitely keep a journal as you go so you have lots of memories to pull from. Annmarie

I'm not writing about anything traumatic- I'm writing about my journey as a shelter worker and as a rabbit owner.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say start now by all means. I wish I still had some of my original writing, for perspective if nothing else.

And your story sounds very unique!

I survived

Registered
Reaction score
James Herriot

Amen to that! I love James Herriot's books!