The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Rick! Yikes! I'm sure there are people in here mumbling that bunny would have been toast about 3 cords back, but I'm not one of them! I love all animals and creepy crawlies. However, I am worried for the entire family with those cords. Seconding getting NEW ones!
Rick, oddly proud his last name has two L's in it (and who should stop copying Maryn)
I did it twice yesterday. Quite addictive once you get started, isn't it?
Blue, who is now worried she won't be able to stop.

Welcome, Aardvark! :welcome: You may be new, but your roller coaster emotions are spot on! Congratulations on the full request, first of all! There is no rhyme or reason to this business. Those with more recent experience with fulls will tell you how long to wait and when to nudge (my published book is non-fic, but I first started writing and querying murder mystery several years ago), but it also depends on the agent. Do you know how long they normally take?

Meanwhile, this is the place to wait, and drink and eat and generally take your mind off the waiting. Just a sec, let me brush off that chair for you.

Sammy, ewww. Remind me not to mouse over your whiteout in future! But sorry about the dream. When they feel real it is so draining.

Hi, Nyrak! Good luck with writing.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Aardvark, more from me! Weirdly, I emerged from purgatory after my last post and thought I'd go and greet a few newbies. Weird, because I haven't done that in about a year, and I happened to see your post about heading off to purgatory.

Firstly, purgatory is not to be feared! It is to be embraced! :D Some of us have been here for years, by choice, even after publication and, for many, several books! Xiao first started it to avoid listening to the crickets in her inbox and to kick a few tumbleweeds, but it has become a community.

Secondly, I can't believe how quickly you wrote all those words. Wow. You and Blondchen have a lot in common right there. I know you said you edited it, but have you considered betas? If you are worried about its readiness and acceptance, this would be a great way to get some outside eyes and opinions.

Thirdly, (this is a case of do what I say, not what I do!) keep writing! There is waiting at every stage and if we all stopped writing throughout, we'd never get another book done. Get those words down on paper and worry about it later. It's all 'honing the craft' anyway. And good luck!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Purgies!

:welcome: Welcome to Purgatory, Aardvark! This is the place to gnaw your fingers off, er, pour yourself a drink and wait patiently for the glacial agent responses. Vamp dust for your Fulls!

NIYRAK - Welcome back! Good to see you again.

Jo - congrats on the fanfic lurve!

(((Sammy and NIYRAK))) Get some sleep soon!

I'm at the Battle at the Capitol - geez, there's over 500 teams competing this weekend. Kiddo's team is up in a few minutes. Hopefully no dropped stunts and good timing. We'll see.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made it last night at 11ish ended up taking 71 hwy because there were lots of wrecks on my path to I35. Family meeting will be this afternoon. Dad won't be here. He is left to be out of town this morning. Probably for the best. Mom and dad don't get along.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Caleb, glad you made it!

{{{sammy}}} But I have to admit, the horror writer in me loves that dream.

Welcome, Aardvark! Read the Purgatoryisms sticky at the top of the R&D room. You'll be less confused. :)

Concert was wonderful! 3 hours long! The band and the audience got quite hammered by the end. :tongue Fiddle and bagpipe wars. Irish pipes. Irish dancing. Bodhrans. Drumming wars. Fun-fun-fun music. A terrific emotional arrangement of "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair" and the live performance of "The Night I Punched Russell Crowe In the head" is always the best.

The cats were Not Happy that I slept in till 8:15. :tongue

We all have a free schedule today. :Wha: I shall be editing, now that the 'roids and mouse venom are kicking in.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

welcome aardvark! this
is the perfect place to wait.

caleb, glad you are there safe.
i hope family meeting goes well.

HI NK!! waves!

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Welcome, Aadvark! There's always room at the bar.

I think I've figured out an approach to save this stupid freaking manuscript. It will require a John Hughes marathon...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rick, I haven't yet got a reply from Kid Two, Bunny Owner, but he's got some kind of chew-proof cord covers in the room where the bunny sometimes roams free. It might be a good idea for the room into which your bunny is most likely to escape. I remember he said he bought it at the local pet store but that Amazon has the same thing, but I don't remember what it's called. I do remember that the cost seemed prohibitive to bunny-proof this house, which only has the bunny for a few weeks a year at the most.

Kid Two says there are lots of horror stories about bunnies who electrocute themselves by chewing cords. They're so irresistible!

Maryn, chewing a cord as we speak

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They do indeed suck. After years of complaints, it's apparent they cannot make one of the channels we pay for come in without snowy interference. Swell. And the HD channels are in and out so often that it's ridiculous. Mr. Maryn and I place bets on whether we'll watch the news and Jeopardy (two different channels) in HD or regular. Loser has to bring Popsicles to the other.

Maryn, high-stakes gambler

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
afternoon purgies!

hiya ardvark, welcome!:D

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Aardvark!

Sammy, what a weird dream. I had the scariest/grossest zombie apocalypse dream recently, too.

Glad you made it, Caleb.

I'm trying to figure out what to wear to Medieval Times.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Purgies.

This wasn't really how I wanted this to come out, but... partly the reason I've been gone for periods over the last few months is because I'm been unhappy. Really unhappy, as in self-esteem plummeting and depression rearing its head again unhappy.

Our landlord's son moved in with M and I last November and at first all seemed well. It was only for a few months and I'd previously lived with him briefly and he seemed fine. Then when M was gone for an extended period over Christmas, I started to notice a darker side to him. I kept getting irritated texts over things I was doing (I have extreme anxiety over having properly locked the front door, and the way I checked it woke him up, for one example. I apologised and tried to tamp it down etc.) until it got to the point I was getting one at least every week. We started to really clash over living matters and the atmosphere in the house plummeted as M and I constantly felt we were walking on eggshells; everything we did was wrong, but we felt unable to voice any dissatisfaction with him because of our landlords.

M went to a work party thing tonight and the landlord's son and I ended up having a full-on nasty argument. I've been travelling the past two weekends and had to do extra laundry, including dressy things I had to wash seperate because experience has taught me throwing them in with a normal load doesn't end well. Anyway, I explained that, but he kept on going nuts, saying I used the machine too much and was a nightmare to live with, and a bunch of other stuff. When I finally mentioned that he's made it uncomfortable to live here, he lost it at me. I got told to stay out of his way, and he'd stay out of mine (what does he think I've been doing for the past two months?).

I've been miserable the past few months, to the point where it's affected my demeanour at work. M has been deliberately spending more time at his girlfriend's because the atmosphere is so bad here. I've basically sat on my bed crying and shaking for the last hour, talking with a friend on my phone because I really don't feel safe being on my own with just him in the house right now. I'm going to have to text M later so we can talk when he gets home, as this really can't go on.

I'm not proud I lost my temper, but I'm glad I said something even if I got completely steamrollared by him. I know I'm not perfect to live with, but I'm surely not the nightmare he said I was. I can't understand why he didn't bring this up normally, instead of making it a confrontation which automatically put me on the defensive. I've house shared for almost ten years and honestly haven't felt so uncomfortable with a housemate before.

I'll probably delete this later, but just needed to say it somewhere. I have to work tomorrow and I won't be able to get anything done tonight now as my nerves are shattered.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Vfury, so sorry you are going through that. Can you and your other roommate put on a united front and go to the landlord? Believe me, I'm sure the landlord is very aware of their son's issues. I'm also sure you are good tenants and the landlord won't want to lose you. Either way, it sounds like either the son needs to go or you do.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{vfury}}}

He sounds like he totally took advantage of being the landlord's son and is a prime fuckwad on top of that. He knows you both are afraid of complaining because he can whine to daddy and daddy will take his side.

Was it in your lease that this freak could just move in with you two? It sounds completely illegal!

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
so sorry you are dealing with this vfury. =(
you deserve your own haven and peace and space.
it seems the landlord is taking advantage by
having son with you?? *hugs* i hope it works out.

we miss you. thank you for popping
by to share. *gives hot cocoa*

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
All our leases are for our rooms only, so it's completely legal. TBH, I don't think our landlords would take our side. M and I had been deliberating moving to our own place for a while now, but this might have to put the accelerator on things.

I kept trying to be considerate because his room is between the kitchen and the sitting room, the prime social areas, but it's starting to look like he can't handle any noise in either, which is ridiculous. For everything I try to make an effort in regards to keeping quiet, there's ten more things I'm failing at. Even if I could predict when he was out, I'd do my laundry then. (I had to do this with my towels for a while, as he didn't like M and I using the dryer, either.)

Last edited:

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Photos Cin :)

V, that is absolutly rediculus :( Sorry your going threw that.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
((((((vFury))))) I'm sorry you're going through this shite. He sounds like a nightmare. Hope you can get things sorted one way or the other.

Cindy-those are lovely photos. That villa looks beautiful. The town looks beautiful.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
thanks, puglets. it truly
was a trip of a lifetime. worth
all the anxiety making before
and some during. hard to be away
from bubs but still love the time away. =)

v, i hope something works out so it is
a positive outcome for you. *sending all
good thoughts*

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
vfury, he's showing classic abuser behavior:

Controlling how much noise you can make
Doesn't like you "spending money" (that is, using the electricity for the dryer)
Screaming and badgering

If he was doing this to his wife, I'd bet money that his next step would be physical abuse.

Since you and M were talking about your own place anyway, please, please get out as fast as you can!

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
I've been making notes and he treats me entirely different to M. I'm not surprised he did this when M wasn't here, and I'd bet money he didn't expect me to argue back. We were planning to start looking properly when I got back as M hasn't saved up enough yet, but at this point I'll loan him the money myself if it gets us out. It's not enjoyable living here anymore.

(I'm also noticing depression signs in him, but it's hard to have sympathy when he's lashing out at me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.