Writers who can draw (or have other artistic talent)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Have you thought to take a picture of it, and then upload it onto your computer from your camera (or memory card)? My scanner makes my pencil drawings look like crap, so I started to take pictures instead. However, you need to have good lighting or else the drawing will come out looking too dark, which I've done. But I'm not for showing off my work in a professional manner, just to show it off on the internet to friends and on DA.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
You could scan it section by section and then stitch it together. Most photoshop-like programs can do that, I believe.

I'll have to try that, first I have to install photoshop again.

Have you thought to take a picture of it, and then upload it onto your computer from your camera (or memory card)? My scanner makes my pencil drawings look like crap, so I started to take pictures instead. However, you need to have good lighting or else the drawing will come out looking too dark, which I've done. But I'm not for showing off my work in a professional manner, just to show it off on the internet to friends and on DA.

I have considered it, but these new digital cameras confuse me. There's all those options and yet it's so difficult (for me) to find out how to even look back at the pictures I've taken. It's the only piece of modern technology that I've handled, that I can't quite figure out. I think partly because I don't use it much, my husband prefers to take the pictures, and every camera is different. Why can't they have a universal menu?

I need to just buckle down and learn how to use it properly, but that will have to wait until after the craziness of school has passed again. I was going to do it this summer but this summer was crazier than my time in school.

Thanks for the suggestions both of you.

runningfree

Registered
Reaction score
I actually started out doing art first, then worked my way into writing.

At some point when I was younger - pre-teens I think - I had this deep desire to write and illustrate my own novel. It stayed floating around in my head despite the fact that I had not a lick of ability to draw or write to save my life.

I started teaching myself how to draw and that took a couple years (still learning!) I haven't started illustrating anything yet, it's WAY harder than I thought it would be but I like to do wildlife and flowers. I'm challenging myself to do more portraits so hopefully that will help when it comes to character sketches.
My art is here - http://www.aubreycampbell.weebly.com

I tried to do the same with writing and teach myself but it just didn't work out until a couple years ago when I grabbed it and wouldn't let it go until it cooperated. :p

Sometimes I think that I should just stick to one or the other but there are days when I simply do NOT have the patience to work with my pencils and I must tell a story.
And then there are days when I simply can NOT stand to sort out words and I desperately need my pencils.

The only challenging part is that there's never enough time to do both of them. :p

TimSenese

Registered
Reaction score
I write, of course. But I also take pictures (I went to school for photography) and can sing/play guitar. Between those things, that's pretty much how all of my free time is spent. I like it.

I don't have any music released yet (I'm hammering out the details on a 5-7 song EP kind of deal) but you can find some of my pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsenese/

Any comments are appreciated!

Mare

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryjhicks.com
Painting and drawing was my main escape until I finally
gave in to the long cherished dream of learning to write. In school I never bothered to learn grammar—to busy drawing! Now I'm learning where to stick a comma, among other things. :)

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Canadian author Douglas Coupland (one of my favourites) also works as a sculptor - he once said something like "I've tried to see the difference between a book and an art project, but I really can't."

And yeah, drawing and sketching was the only thing I was really good at at school. Don't do it anymore though, I'm not sure why. I always preferred writing.

Louis Spector

Life is what you make it
Registered
Reaction score
I also paint, in fact I'm better at it then writing. I've painted my cover idea for my book but have put my painting on hold while I work on my memoir.