Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember that remake.

I mostly remember watching it, hoping it was going to be better than it turned out to be.

:D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, 90s television...

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., American Gothic (essential viewing), Brimstone (underrated), Babylon 5, Highlander (the first season and the last are rather disappointing, but the rest is great entertainment), X-Files...

:) Yes, I remember most of those title, though I was in grade school and didn't watch many of them because of content :D.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I remember that remake.

I mostly remember watching it, hoping it was going to be better than it turned out to be.

Tim Daly needs a better agent. He seems to crop up in everything I stop watching.

:) Yes, I remember most of those title, though I was in grade school and didn't watch many of them because of content :D.

Pfft. I was watching horror films when I was a kid. I saw Predator as soon as it came out on video. :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft. I was watching horror films when I was a kid. I saw Predator as soon as it came out on video. :D

Mom made the mistake of letting me watch Poletergeist at age 4-5, because I loved things/movies like Krull, and Willow, Beetle Juice, Legend Of The White Horse, and I had no problem with them...

Poltergeist stayed with me, a long time.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I was rather ambivalent about Poltergeist - nothing I hadn't seen before (The Spanish and Italian stuff from the 70s is MUCH more extreme).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I can empathize on that. :)

Of course, the funny looks I get when I explain why I don't wear ties can get rather tiresome.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
*searches for leftover nachoes under the couch cushions*

geez, how long have these Oreos been under here?

:hi: hounds

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I guess I missed everyone, I'll be back in a week or so. Save me some newbie meat. :D :Hug2: to all ye horror hounds. :)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Never been through one before, but I've done everything I can to get our documentation ready including completely reorganizing our Setups libraries on the hard disks. We're a helluva' lot better off than we were 8 months ago. If the auditors find anything screwy it's more a matter of something we didn't foresee rather than something we intentionally covered up.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like crazy fun times all around, as usual. Horror movies are best when you're just a little too young to piece them together. Anymore, I have such a hard time enjoying them - too many plot holes that make me want to scream, or reliance on plot-induced stupidity to make it work. Or, maybe, we've just gotten worse at writing horror movies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Or, maybe, we've just gotten worse at writing horror movies.

Depends. Some (not all, mind, but some) of my favorite horror films would count as modern. The Fly (Goldblum variety) is as tense and smart as any horror from the 40s.

And yes, I know it was made before some people on this site were born - still modern.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The sequel was.... well, what sequels frequently are.

Well... yeah. But it does have a few neat ideas in there, even if the handling is as inept as could possibly be. I loved the placebo notion, and even some of the interactions had potential - on the whole it is utterly depressing, given the excellent standards of the first, but those small moments make it worth watching at least once.

Now, if it had been directed by Cronenberg...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anymore, I have such a hard time enjoying them - too many plot holes that make me want to scream, or reliance on plot-induced stupidity to make it work. Or, maybe, we've just gotten worse at writing horror movies.

I think a lot of horror movies that get the green light these days assume (rightly? alas, perhaps so) that most people in the audience view horror flicks the way they'd view a stand up comic routine--"I better not go more than 3 minutes without experiencing what I came here for." People go to a standup show and have 3 minutes straight without at least chuckling once, they get that feeling that this comic isn't all that good. I think filmmakers believe the same about horror audiences--they don't want to go more than a few minutes without something reminding them they're watching a horror flick. There has to be constant darkness, reminders of death and murder, supersaturation of "atmosphere," and ample jump scares to go around. And for some story ideas, this can work, but it shouldn't be a "one size fits all" storytelling philosophy. All too often, it's hard to fit a sensible story into your movie when it's packed nearly to bursting with "horror," "horror" and more "horror."

I remember watching The Woman in Black remake and thinking, "My God, this movie is trying so hard to scare me it's kind of annoying." Nobody in that movie could even open a door without making it look like they were about to enter the sub-basement of Hell. And I actually kind of liked it; it had a few genuinely inspired moments, but I liked the original more because it's more assured. It doesn't force the tension on you with music and abundant shadows. It lets the suitably mysterious and tense story do the work, then picks its spots and hammers it home only when it needs to.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
We passed our ISO 9000 audit with only 3 minor problems/issues! The auditor never even interviewed me saying only that he'd taken a look at a few of my Time Studies & Setups and everything looked neat and well-organized. I'd taken pains to reorganize everything so it looks like a file library and things aren't spread all over the place (like they were when I first got there).

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
We passed our ISO 9000 audit with only 3 minor problems/issues! The auditor never even interviewed me saying only that he'd taken a look at a few of my Time Studies & Setups and everything looked neat and well-organized. I'd taken pains to reorganize everything so it looks like a file library and things aren't spread all over the place (like they were when I first got there).

Doesn't it suck when you go through all that work and the auditor just looks, shrugs and says, "yeah, ok."? It makes you wonder if you could have gotten away with gibberish as long as it looked organized.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Right now it seems that all the tricks have been used and scaring somebody is just a matter of which combo they use in a film. The real horror anymore comes from what they do to a well-rounded and developed character and what kind of evil, nastiness they can make that character endure. Or at least that's how it seems to me. Sure, I jump at certain things in a movie and I like that. But I like turning the movie off and wondering what's in the shadow behind me even more.

Have you noticed a certain elevation in preachyness in films? I have. I don't care how my characters vote and I don't want to know what the director thinks of various issues. The Uninvited pissed me off to no end.

And for some story ideas, this can work, but it shouldn't be a "one size fits all" storytelling philosophy. All too often, it's hard to fit a sensible story into your movie when it's packed nearly to bursting with "horror," "horror" and more "horror."

I remember watching The Woman in Black remake and thinking, "My God, this movie is trying so hard to scare me it's kind of annoying." Nobody in that movie could even open a door without making it look like they were about to enter the sub-basement of Hell. And I actually kind of liked it; it had a few genuinely inspired moments, but I liked the original more because it's more assured. It doesn't force the tension on you with music and abundant shadows. It lets the suitably mysterious and tense story do the work, then picks its spots and hammers it home only when it needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.