Freelance writing for magazines

moreferarum

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I did some research last night about magazines or journals in my genre, non-fiction history, so I could maybe polish up some articles and stuff I have and send them off, see if any of these magazines are interested.
Under half of them gave querying information which leads me to ask, if there is no specific guidelines for querying (there weren't even sections about how to submit work), how do I go about seeing if this publication would like my work? Should I send it to their general enquiries with a query just in case? Or should I not bother?
I've worked in newspapers before but that was all written on-site and no work from freelancers really made it in so I don't know what the procedure is.

One of the magazines that does have really specific query advice hasn't updated it's website since 2007 saying their 2007 issue is the most recent copy, again should I send a query just in case they are still publishing or should I let this one go? (It's a shame because it seems like a really good magazine with good freelancing opportunities!)

Sorry that my questions seem idiotic but I would really appreciate just a quick answer right now of whether or not to pursue these magazines and just send a query to their general email address asking if they accept submissions.
Thank you for all your help, sorry to be a nuisance to all you experienced freelancers! :flag:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'd Google the magazine that hasn't updated the site and look it up in AW. Good bet you'll learn it's no longer being produced. Even if it is, unless it's very reputable, I'd be concerned about the lack of attention to the net.

There is info on mastheads in AW. Look up the others that you are interested in and write a general query for your article. It is also a good idea to try to find an issue or sample articles. A Google search for further info can't hurt.

I'm not an expert on this, but it's what I would do for what that's worth.

-Debbie

moreferarum

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your help Debbie, I was concerned about how they've ignored their site for so long too!
Will try and look for some more details, thanks for your response.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I'm with Debbie on the one whose website hasn't been updated since 2007.

For the others, see if you can find an email address for the editor. If the editor's email address isn't listed, figure out their email format ([email protected]), and send your query to him/her that way.

Also, check out their media kit. You'll find lots of useful information about the publication there, like the editorial calendar, demographics of their readership, etc.

*Amel*

Registered
Reaction score
If you are able to find the editor's e-mail address, you might want to write a short note introducing yourself. Explain that you are a freelance writer who is interested in pitching the magazine, and ask if they could send you a copy of their editorial guidelines. If interested, they will either send you the guidelines or explain whatever procedures they would like you to follow.

ketanco

Registered
Reaction score
i have an online magazine and i always read an email from someone who says he or she wants to write for my site. it makes me happy that someone else too found my site interesting. in fact i am looking for one writer now, although on an entirely different hi-tech subject :)