Escape from a Concentration Camp

Miller Robert

Registered
Reaction score
Russian POWs were allowed to be farm labor in Germany or join German-associated military formations.
Ukrainian women were the basic resource of German farm labor. Nazis exploited mainly ostarbaiters from the western parts of the Soviet Union (Ukrainian and Belorussian people).

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
A whole pile of British POWs wrote memoirs that were published in the fifties and sixties, and many were reprinted by Ballantine in paperback. Libraries or used-book shops can get them for you.

While these won't recreate the experience of civilians in concentration camps, you can use them for general research into the times. Plus, many of the writers had been keenly observant and included details of what they had seen or heard of the treatment of civilians.

Some works you might look for in particular include I Was a Doctor in Auschwitz, by Gisella Perl.

Hahnx111

Registered
Reaction score
Auschwitz

Take a look at the Sonderkommando Revolt that took place at Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1944. I would advise caution in anything Holocaust related. Keep in mind the significance of that event and the people who experienced it.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a necro'd thread from last year. One thing that did occur to me (before I noticed the date) is that everyone seems to be thinking "Concentration Camp" = "Nazi".

There have been plenty of concentration camps by plenty of different groups throughout history.

It wasn't just the Nazis. The Nazis have kind of ruined the word .. before that (say World War I) people had no trouble calling centralised camps to contain foreigners as 'concentration camps'. (Because they concentrated the groups into one place for administrative reasons)

eg - If you a Lutheran in Australia during World War I you might have ended up in this concentration camp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrens_Island_Concentration_Camp

So remember - concentration camps weren't just used by the Nazis ....

Mac

Last edited:

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
But we definitely can say: Nazi=extermination camps.
But there are plenty of other extermination camps as well - not just the Nazis.

The obvious one is Pol Pot - google the 'Choeung Ek Extermination Camp' for one example.

As much as I'd like to say the Nazis were a rare aberration .. we humans have a nasty tendency to do terrible things.

Mac

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a great escape idea for you, OP. But I think the more you know about what it was like the more likely you'll be to think of an idea that will work for you. I've been a long time fan of Elie Wiesel- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elie_Wiesel

He's a great writer, poetic in his prose, so reading his first hand accounts of life in a concentration camp, I don't think you will find a chore. I'd recommend "Night" and "All Rivers Run to the Sea". Good luck.