Blogging about the past

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I liked this post. I wonder though, why didn't she appeal for mercy if her son did?

She actually did, but her request was turned down.

The courts had found, partly based on her own admittance, that she had been the driving force and possibly even the sole executor of the murder so they placed the larger blame on her. But part of the reason was also that it was felt that he was a victim, damaged from his mother's sexual abuse and manipulative behaviour from an early age. That was how the neighbours felt and why they welcomed him back into their fold - they pitied him and blamed the (according to them) "unnatural" mother.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I'm part Sami, and since today is international Sami Day, I wanted to celebrate it by sharing some photos taken on an expedition to Lapland in 1868: http://victorianexplorer.blogspot.se/2013/02/a-visit-to-lapland-1868.html

I think their faces bear testament to the extremely hard conditions they lived under, and it makes me rather proud of my ancestors for carving out a living in a really inhospitable land.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com

twasadark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
xcpublishing.net
It's actually good to see you're nervous about it. Far too many people don't ever even think about the issue of image copyright, or assume just saying "I'm not claiming I made this" and/or "fair use" covers it. That's not okay.

But! The great thing with old photos is that there are all these wonderful institutions comitted to making their collections as accessible as possible, which often means letting you use their images. Time for a tour, with examples. :)

I agree with this! IMHO we should be scrupulous about copyrights. I write educational materials for a living, and the publishers and schools I work with get a lot of their images free at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page. Just be sure to look at the permissions portion of the image page. Many times it is in the public domain or has a creative commons license.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
http://queensransom.wordpress.com/2013/03/01/the-interrogation-of-count-cagliostro-part-2/

More of my laborious efforts to translate 18th-century French. It's slow going, but the results were fairly interesting this time. It's an interrogation of Count Cagliostro, the mystic/charlatan.

The best part: Google translate came up with this phrase: "he f*cked and disposed of the diamonds". Way to go, Google translate.

PS: I also recently posted two writing-related posts. Check 'em out if you're so inclined.

ConnieBDowell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookechoes.com
Translation is definitely an art, angeliz2k! :)

I don't have a historical post to share, rather the promise of one--and quite a few more if anyone joins me. I'm hosting a Women's History Month Blog Hop on March 15, 2013. Link in the signature.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Because I need to lose weight, I'm a vintage gal, and I'm currently writing a book set in Britain during WWII, I got the brilliant idea of trying out a wartime diet. I'm blogging about it (with added tidbits about WWII) here:

http://wartimedietexperiment.blogspot.com

I also managed to seduce other people in joining me and we have a FB group for sharing recipes, inspiration and encouragement if anyone wants to join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131359027072396/

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Flicka, that's dedication!! Very neat.

I tend to forget this thread, but I do blog historically ... Here is a post touching on my subject. One about very old/very new shoe styles. A post touching on a recent fascination with digitally preserved shorts, this one showing Edwardian and flapper hairstyles and fashion. A question on the merits of keeping history and artifacts "fresh" (and many other things). A great series I found about ancient Roman anaesthetics ... or was it poisons?? And, finally, my particular favorite and the newest post of the lot: Diagnosing Henry.

Enjoy! (I hope ...)

Fokker Aeroplanbau

Registered
Reaction score
Website
negationcorner.blogspot.com
Like so, so many other bloggers and historians I approached the figure of George Wallace. Here is the post.

On a unrelated note, I've really liked this thread. It is more than useful... Who does not like the odd anecdote? The weird bit of nonfiction that should be, by all rights, fiction?

twasadark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
xcpublishing.net
I blogged (only a month or so late) about Color in Historical Fiction, a panel I attended at the HNS Conference. Please come check it out HERE! It's only my second post, but we all have to start somewhere, I suppose.

Oh, and by the way, I've already had a complaint about my blog's colorful header and the font size, by the same person. Your take on both will be appreciated should you chose to share it!

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Twasadark, that's a great post; I'm bookmarking your blog! (I did a post about mauve not long ago, too.) :)

Put up another post about the first queen in my novel, and a small collection of some of the most fascinating women of the Merovingian period. Some of these people would make great novels, y'all!! :)

I also have a pair of videos which might be of interest to other authors; how to do your best public reading of your work. VERY very good sort of YouTube workshop (clearly done at a conference workshop of some sort; and I would so love to have this woman come to a conference I attend every year). They're about 14 minutes each, but very much worth a peek!

Finally, I have an interview in with Elizabeth Chadwick, the English author of this summer's "The Summer Queen" (and about 22 other novels!). Depending on how long it takes her to complete, that will publish very soon!

twasadark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
xcpublishing.net
Twasadark, that's a great post; I'm bookmarking your blog! (I did a post about mauve not long ago, too.) :)

Put up another post about the first queen in my novel, and a small collection of some of the most fascinating women of the Merovingian period. Some of these people would make great novels, y'all!! :)

I also have a pair of videos which might be of interest to other authors; how to do your best public reading of your work. VERY very good sort of YouTube workshop (clearly done at a conference workshop of some sort; and I would so love to have this woman come to a conference I attend every year). They're about 14 minutes each, but very much worth a peek!

Finally, I have an interview in with Elizabeth Chadwick, the English author of this summer's "The Summer Queen" (and about 22 other novels!). Depending on how long it takes her to complete, that will publish very soon!
Glad you liked the color post, Diane!

Great links - I've bookmarked them!

lsjohnson

all things 18th century
Registered
Reaction score
Website
traversingz.com
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for putting up their blogs and sharing all sorts of fun facts. I am all things 18th century these past two years, and it seems to be turning into a proper obsession. Very glad to have more fuel for the fire!

Also, as part of my day job I handle art permissions and copyright issues for book publishing--which is not too different from web publishing. If anyone has any questions, I may be able to answer them.