The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dys and Fire, yeah 3 ADA counselors tried to work with him last semester because so many teachers were having issues with him. It's tough when the student refuses to acknowledge he has a problem. He simply lied to every one of them and said he had no trouble in any of his classes. They had samples of his work showing it was about 3rd grade level and knew he had issues, but not much they can do when he refuses to admit it.

May, he doesn't have outbursts. He's disruptive in that his questions are either off-topic or about something covered 15 minutes before or about something so simple, it's obvious he has trouble with simple comprehension. I spent time with him out of class last semester and his comprehension level is about that of a 8-9 year old (maybe even younger). I tried and tried to explain simple concepts to him and he just. doesn't. get it.

They are going to try to talk him into retaking some of the classes he failed before and get him out of my class. How the hell is he even going to understand the basic concept of the Shakespeare Debate, let alone research and write a paper on it? I'm already stressing out over this. I talked to our counselor here and she said she tried already to steer him out of my class when she saw it on his list, but apparently he likes me. Why that would be, I have no idea. He irritated the hell out of me last semester and made me cranky more than once. I never get cranky, but he strained my patience.

Also if I could do what's best for him, I'd tell him he's living in a dream world and will NEVER be hired as a cop and needs to accept that he has limitations. That I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there for him to succeed at, but a cop isn't one of them. (And if anyone does hire him, I'm moving because I'd be scared to death of the idea of him with a gun.) I shudder to think what is going to happen when he realizes that the last EIGHT years he's spent trying to get an Associates degree in Criminal Justice is not going to pay off. How is allowing him to take class after class being kind? Frankly I think his parents use us as babysitters and I pretty much resent having my time wasted.

*sigh* I know I'm being a b!tch, but honestly, how are we helping this guy?

Last edited:

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Purgatory never disappoints.

Dolphin secks and a nuanced discussion of disabilities in the education system.

*luff*

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Dragon, I've been in classes with people like that and it's soooooo frustrating. Hope you guys can get it figured out, for the sake of your sanity as well as the other students.

For a bit in college I was an in-class assistant for a blind dude. It was pretty interesting. You should have fun, Dys. :)

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Jo it's tough on everyone. I wish our college didn't have an open door policy and required the usual GPAs of other schools.

I'll trade ya, Dys. :)

Last edited:

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feel better, Lily.

ETA: Off to kill things in game. :) That's good for easing lots of frustrations.

Last edited:

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
We have a blurb/teaser for The Center Point:

A list of names, an old map, and a drawing of a Native American warrior named Komaket: these are the items "professional student" Dennis Kozma receives on his twenty-fifth birthday from his father, who died fifteen years ago. Unfortunately, Dennis' memory is tainted by accusations his father defrauded their town.

The map leads Dennis to the graves of the men on the list...members of a secret society awaiting the return of Komaket. While unraveling the mystery of the secret society, Dennis discovers a shocking conspiracy: town officials covered up a dark secret and framed his father.

As he strives to clear his father's name before the long-awaited arrival of Komaket changes his quiet New England town forever, Dennis comes to a startling and fateful realization - nothing is what it seems and all clues lead to...

The Center Point.

Get well, everyone. It's going to be a long winter.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering today whether this is a writing thing - collecting strange and unique experiences. Like, I'll have a weird/unusual/bizarre experience and go, "Hey! That was cool!" And then when I go tell someone else they give me the :eek: look and back away.

I have a writer friend who says the writer's motto is that a good story is better than a good time. In fact, she made it into a haiku and sells it as mugs through her website.

May, he doesn't have outbursts. He's disruptive in that his questions are either off-topic or about something covered 15 minutes before or about something so simple, it's obvious he has trouble with simple comprehension. I spent time with him out of class last semester and his comprehension level is about that of a 8-9 year old (maybe even younger). I tried and tried to explain simple concepts to him and he just. doesn't. get it.

They are going to try to talk him into retaking some of the classes he failed before and get him out of my class. How the hell is he even going to understand the basic concept of the Shakespeare Debate, let alone research and write a paper on it? I'm already stressing out over this. I talked to our counselor here and she said she tried already to steer him out of my class when she saw it on his list, but apparently he likes me. Why that would be, I have no idea. He irritated the hell out of me last semester and made me cranky more than once. I never get cranky, but he strained my patience.
Ah, okay, yes, I've had students like that, too. It's very challenging because you can't be cruel to the student. You have to support him. But sometimes supporting him isn't letting the university treat him like a cash cow. I'm sorry you're stressed out about it! You're doing the best you can, though, it sounds like.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great blurb, Vandal!

Thanks, May. I'll deal with whatever ends up, but doesn't mean I have to like it. Kinda sad, though, and kinda funny too. My campus manager sent an email saying how much he likes me and my classes. I sent one back asking "Why? Why does he like them? He makes me cranky. How can someone like me when they make me cranky?... Stop laughing and I know you are." I know she was laughing. At least she sympathizes with me because she did send another very nice email. Oh, well...that which does not kill us makes us stronger. :)

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
productimage-picture-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish-9641_zps1f076085.png

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Tim wins the internet today.

I was going to give it to Cake, for this:

Dolphin sex. Righhhhttttt. I just hope they went out on a few dates first, or got her some fish.

Congratulations and hugs to Lily (feel better!)!.

Amarie, that's appalling. And...yeah. Now these asshats are claiming Sandy Hook didn't happen, it's all a plot to, you know, take peoples' guns away.

So tired of the stupidity.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
This + 1,000

What Cricket said.
I hate guns, I understand why people would want to have a gun for hunting or to 'feel safe'. But, I'm sorry, nothing or no one will ever convince me that a private citizen should ever own an assault rifle. It's just another penis extension. If you don't like that, sue me.

((((Lily)))) feel better soon.

Freezing cold here this morning. Very heavy frost overnight. There's a possibility of heavy snow on Friday but the Met Office, being the Met Office, is hedging its bets and not confirming anything.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Uhhh, very few private citizens own "assault rifles", as by definition, that's a full-auto select fire rifle that's military grade, and the limit of how many Americans can own full-auto weapons was reached decades ago and they can't be resold.

That term gets thrown around a lot on TV and incorrectly, because most of the people using it don't know what it means or are doing it deliberately to scare people with the term. And it really bugs me that even our legislators don't know anything about the things they're trying to make laws about.

Just to be accurate.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhh, very few private citizens own "assault rifles", as by definition, that's a full-auto select fire rifle that's military grade, and the limit of how many Americans can own full-auto weapons was reached decades ago and they can't be resold.

That term gets thrown around a lot on TV and incorrectly, because most of the people using it don't know what it means or are doing it deliberately to scare people with the term. And it really bugs me that even our legislators don't know anything about the things they're trying to make laws about.

Just to be accurate.

Sorry, but why would any private citizen own a rifle that can tear children to shreds in a matter of seconds?

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Wrong, KT. Semi-automatics such as the AR-17 are military grade weapons with a very minor modification, and in point of fact, military trainers prefer that soldiers learn how to use them on semi-automatic mode, because on full auto the barrel tends to drift up and the aim is not as accurate. But semi-automatic weapons with high-capacity magazines enable a shooter to shoot very rapidly and without the need to reload, and yeah, why the hell does anyone need these weapons in one's home?

I am not claiming to be an expert, but from what I do know, the gun industry has shifted from selling rifles for hunting and revolvers for legitimate self-defense to military weapons, because they appeal to peoples' fantasies of soldiering and insurrection.

FWIW I do own a pistol, though I haven't shot it in ages, and it's locked up in a storage facility in the Bay Area. A Smith and Wesson revolver. I bought it when my neighborhood and my building in particular had a lot of crime. It was a fear-based decision, and I don't know to this day how rational it was. What I do know is, that's plenty of gun for home defense, that I have absolutely no desire to carry it in public, and that I do not want to live in a society where walking around armed is considered rational or desirable.

IMO, organizations like the NRA promote irrational fear so that they can make money for their true masters, the manufactures of weapons and ammo.

Call me paranoid. But at least I'm not the kind of paranoid that thinks it's appropriate for private citizens to own military grade weapons.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be phasing back in again.... It's been a very long and hard 30 some odd hours of mourning. I'm not okay, but I'm standing again instead of kneeling. I'll be fine. I'll be okay and thank you everyone for your concerns.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be phasing back in again.... It's been a very long and hard 30 some odd hours of mourning. I'm not okay, but I'm standing again instead of kneeling. I'll be fine. I'll be okay and thank you everyone for your concerns.

I left you some hugs on FB, but have some more :Hug2:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all. Thanks for all the cheers. :)

Amarie, I'm so glad you're all right! *keeps mouth shut about stupid gun laws*

Lily, hope you're feeling better.

(((Caleb))) I must have missed what's going on, but glad to see you here.

Snowing here and people are driving like idiots. It took me 20 minutes to get only 1/3 of the way to work, and then I encountered a parking lot on the main road. Decided screw it and turned around. So glad I can work from home.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
{{Caleb}} Sorry you're having such a rough time of it - hope things improve
Amarie - I'm so glad you're all right.

On the gun stuff, I should probably shut up too, as I'm incapable of arguing politely with people who think the average citizen (or hell, below average and above average ones either) needs to own a Bushmaster, but IMO the quibbling over the definition of an assault rifle is silly. (Not anyone here, I already had this argument twice this week w friends on FB) It's anything that has one or more military-style features (which *are* well defined). The old definition required 2, and then proceeded to blow holes in said definition for various grandfather provisions.

That said, the idiots who are going after the guy from Sandy Hook are proving why the rest of us call them gun nuts.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

Hugs for Caleb.

Caffeine for me.

Trying to focus on this being a good day.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Ink- why is it that people drive like idiots when the roads are bad? I'm surprised that people make it through without completely destroying their cars.

Gun Law Stuff: Unfortunately, most crimes are committed with guns obtained illegally. The only way to stop some of this would be to close our borders, but then we'd still have criminals who steal the guns of lawful people (which is also a problem we have).

I think there needs to be a designation made about semi-automatics as well. My father's trap gun (which he solely uses for shooting clay pidgeons) is a semi-automatic. It loads 4 rounds before you have to reload. So, I think the laws need to be a bit more specific in terms of just semi-automatic, etc. Because a gun used solely for sport in this case, I think, should be allowed.

But, anything that remotely resembles a military style gun- no way.

((Caleb))

Status
Not open for further replies.