Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
sigh. Kids, love em. Really.

Kid : *thunk* ow! waaaaahhhh!
Papa: You ok? what happened?
Kid: fall down. Waaaahhhhhh!
Papa: Do you want Papa to kiss it and make it better?
Kid: *sniff* Yes.
Papa: Ok, where does it hurt?
Kid: *points at butt*

I walked right into that one. This kid is gonna be dangerous.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Did the Cantina name change slightly or am I insane? Granted, not two mutually exclusive alternatives. :D
Insanity taken for granted, and himself told me last week that it had always been that way just that I hadn't noticed. Seems like you're 'normal'.

Also...gave two weeks' notice at ye olde, soon to be ex-, job this morning.
Hurrah!

@Bugz- It would make sense had it been the same old place. Is that what you meant? If so, your brain has been switching the words for you from the day of the name change until today. Congrats on your newfound power over your devious subconscience.
I'm still too asleep to understand this, but I figured that if I included it I could come back to it later and figure it out.

Morning Folks! Are we all having fun yet?
No. I need coffee.

I survived my first week at the new day job!

Tomorrow, I have to go pee in a cup. :e2bummed:

But now, I am having a salmon burger.
Yay. Yuck. Ooo.

:Thumbs: I'm even taking about two weeks off before starting my new job, so I'll either have time to rock on my WIP, or to complete developmental edits on Messenger II if those arrive by then.
Cool

So, uh, with this new Avengers movie, I was watching the trailer... Not only do I not see a drop of Whedons genius (and okay, genius is hard to capture in a trailer, but it looks like any ole action film); but complaint two- who the hell is the big bad?! Aliens? What the fruittrailer?
Say no more. No bad guys?
I have invented a new rule for writers. And this is said in humor. Really.

"Never piss off the YA brigade"

They will eat you alive.
Suggest you modify this to 'avoid people with hormonal angst'.

Who the marvelverse is Loki?
The naughty Asgardian brother.
Pre-xactly
Yeah, you know, all of you are leaving sucky jobs for hopefully better ones. Now what am I gonna do? Hmm?

I mean, who am I gonna point at and say "Well, at least my job doesn't suck that bad." Oh, my
Does it help if I point out that I actually don't have a job?
Scar is thus quasi epic.
Of course it is.

Yeah, let's go with that, rather than "I can't remember which one of the oddly name and rarely here Cantina folk is Peter."
Sorry, dude. Maybe I shoulda asked that one. I could have blamed newness.
I didn't know either, don't feel bad.

From what I understand, yours truly will have an office to herself - sort of. They are going to park the fax machine and printers in there with me.
So, you're going to leave your office everyday high on printer toner and unable to finish any work at all because of the constant interruptions from people coming in and out of your office and the noise from all the machines. That sucks. that really, really sucks.

sigh. Kids, love em. Really.

Kid : *thunk* ow! waaaaahhhh!
Papa: You ok? what happened?
Kid: fall down. Waaaahhhhhh!
Papa: Do you want Papa to kiss it and make it better?
Kid: *sniff* Yes.
Papa: Ok, where does it hurt?
Kid: *points at butt*

I walked right into that one. This kid is gonna be dangerous.
:roll:

Morning cantinas :Sun:

No sun today. I need coffee and breakfast.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
actually, after the "internet intervention" meeting we had en masse last week and all the eye contact with the boss, I thought I would be put right in front of her for observation.

And with my job - which is order entry/billing, there's no way I wouldn't be interrupted every half hour/20 minutes. People are in my cube all day, bringing me mah work. I just hope I won't have to listen to the bickering and the swearing any more. :)

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, uh, with this new Avengers movie, I was watching the trailer... Not only do I not see a drop of Whedons genius (and okay, genius is hard to capture in a trailer, but it looks like any ole action film); but complaint two- who the hell is the big bad?! Aliens? What the fruittrailer?

I may or may not be working on this movie right now. I find it awesome.

Mileage may vary, I've been told by Marvel comic readers that I am not allowed an opinion because I haven't read the comics, but I'm judging it on its merits as a movie.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
actually, after the "internet intervention" meeting we had en masse last week and all the eye contact with the boss, I thought I would be put right in front of her for observation.

My boss moved me opposite her not that long ago. I did wonder if I'd been put in the naughty seat...even more so when in the current office move-around I'm one of the few people staying where I am now. Anyway, my boss is based in Brighton, so she's only in our office in Aldershot for two or three days a week...and she's on leave now. Not that anyone is especially heartbroken when she's not there.

Going back to my youth, theres the one on the middle of my sternum from when a friend pushed me onto a blunt spikey lamp. I dont show that to just anyone though ;)

I have a scar from picking up a splinter when sliding down a wooden plank. Similarly to you, I don't show that one to just anybody. ;) I was hospitalised for it.

And good morning Cantina.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm back from having the best hamburgers in Toyama. This is Japan, a country that really doesn't understand the hamburger. They think McDonalds is GOOD, for god's sake.

They are utterly shocked when you tell them that Macs probably doesn't hit the top 5 for tasty burgers in the national chains.

It was good. At least they have real meat, real cheese, and fresh veggies. Now, their onion rings, those were good.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'm watching Thor right now.

Much of it is good, but I didn't feel anything for Loki... and didn't really see a Thor/Jane thing - I mean, she thought he was hot, but they didn't connect, at least they didn't seem to to me.

Holy crap - I did not know Kennth Branaugh directed! It sure was a pretty movie. I loved how Agnar looked. But the costumes/armor were ridiculous. They looked like spray painted plastic. Which they probably were.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ali- you mock my scar!

Eye- owww. That sounds dire. You could have bust a femoral artery too.

Did you watch all the prequel movies? I'm guessing that you'll enjoy Avengers more if you watch the prequels. If you watch Thor, you'll get the Loki background in the marvelverse. :)

Thor was actually my least favorite of the prequels, but it's worth watching, imo. And not to stare at the Thor actor...okay not *just* for that.

I'm not that sad, but let's blame Peter anyway. :D

I um, watched iron man. Is there a Black Widow prequel? And yes, Blame Peter (who is one of the SFF mods folks)

It's still light out, so I very clearly saw the night's first snowflake. Boo.

Dire.

'Tis midnight here. And I'm falling asleep while editing, which is Not Good. Therefore, off to bed go I.

Dobre Noche!

Dzien dobry!

Mileage may vary, I've been told by Marvel comic readers that I am not allowed an opinion because I haven't read the comics, but I'm judging it on its merits as a movie.

Do you need a live in co worker?!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, well, mockery is fine too ;)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Feel free to mock mine in return. I have a row of four tiny spots on the outside of my right wrist. i tried to steal a chip / fry off someone plate one lunchtime at school, and he stabbed me. I never expected school cutlery to be so sharp.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Fenika
I didn't hear any air guitar riffs when Ali posted, so I doubt she was mocking you. Scars are cool, don't worry. Doesn't matter how you got them, you can lie if you need to. No one needs to know.

Aliwood
1. You need to be quicker. They actually had time to stab you with a fork? Slow hands, slow hands.

2. Of course it's sharp, the lunch lady spends a significant part of each evening listening to the eagles, dreaming of broiled children, and sharpening the tableware. You didn't know?

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Morning Bos, how goes it? We're talking about scars, you got any cool ones with good stories? I'm in the mood for chains and dogs and the like.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Bos, how goes it? We're talking about scars, you got any cool ones with good stories? I'm in the mood for chains and dogs and the like.

I almost cut my finger off when I was five or so, but the rest are mundane things I got from falling off things or surgery in sketchy countries that like to think they are less developing than they are.

:D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Morning all,

Spending some time editing in a local coffee shop.

Did my piss test. As a reward, I bought a red velvet biscotti to go with my coffee.

I need to get these mms off my plate so I can do some writing. Wearing lots of hats can be a pain...

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

OOooooh. :)

Not that anyone is especially heartbroken when she's not there.

Once in my life have I worked for someone whose absence made me sad (work-sad, not real life-sad). It's a shame it doesn't happen more often.

Much of it is good, but I didn't feel anything for Loki... and didn't really see a Thor/Jane thing - I mean, she thought he was hot, but they didn't connect, at least they didn't seem to to me.

Yeah, they felt very rushed. Like, because it was established in the comics they didn't actually need to include any organic development. I did enjoy Idris Elba, though, in his little role.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning!

It's still light out, so I very clearly saw the night's first snowflake. Boo.

Boo!

Seems like you're 'normal'.

I...I don't think anyone has ever called me that before. I'm not sure if I'm happy or bummed about it. :ROFL:

Sooo jealous.

I'm watching Thor right now.

Holy crap - I did not know Kennth Branaugh directed! It sure was a pretty movie. I loved how Agnar looked. But the costumes/armor were ridiculous. They looked like spray painted plastic. Which they probably were.

Semi spoilery:
The love story was the worst in that. I mean, I get the attraction and all, but that went to undying love pretty quickly.

I really need to see all the pre-Avengers movies.

They're all pretty good. The Ironmans are my favorite, followed by Captain America. I think the plot and such was better in Hulk than Thor. But I'd rather stare at watch Thor.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
They're all pretty good. The Ironmans are my favorite, followed by Captain America. I think the plot and such was better in Hulk than Thor. But I'd rather stare at watch Thor.

I have to admit, I was quite surprised by how true to the original comic book origins Captain America was. I was sure they would update it, and take it out of the WWII era, but even the old Plucky American Can Do Attitude (tm) was retained, rather than glossed over with a more contemporary coat of Dark n' Gritty paint.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding comics and movies:

You know what I'm tired of? Rehashing origin stories. It makes sense for some flicks, really, like Captain America needed to be what it was. But I liked how Iron Man dispensed with that part pretty quickly, and see no reason, NONE AT ALL, why the new Spider-Man reboot has to go through the "bit by a radioactive genetically modified spider" bit all over again.

Does *anyone* out there not know this story by now?? Can't we just move on to a good story??

:Soapbox:

Ok, done now.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Does *anyone* out there not know this story by now?? Can't we just move on to a good story??

Well, if you want to get into the craft of it, I suspect that the easiest explanation for why you'd need to revisit the well and tell an origin story again is... It's just easier to tell that story. You get your hero still learning about their powers and how to be heroic. If you're in a hurry to just get a movie out there (And I believe Sony is, because if they DON'T make a Spiderman movie, they lose the license back to Marvel) then you've got a ready made arc that just needs tweaking.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but in the new Spidey reboot, have they gone back to making him a scientific boy genius that invents his web shooters again? Or are they still sticking with it being a freebie of his mutation?

Status
Not open for further replies.