Freelance Writers Wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Kylabelle, I'm not sure I exactly understand the issue you were having with the Mturk tasks. If it was just a random HIT for some other person (and not write.com aka crowdsource) then who knows what it could be. I've seen a lot of HITS on there that make no sense. Sometimes people post jobs on there for specific people and you might not have access to it. But any of the HITS that belong to crowdsource should be pretty self-explanatory. You accept the HIT, choose which one you want and then you're taken to the page where you write your article.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
andiwrite, thanks for the tips. I am just, I confess, technologically backward in general and the MTurk site is just something I am going to have to spend a little time getting used to.

I did just receive an email from Write.com informing me that Amazon/MTurk's new rule is five hits a day for ten days but that the ten days no longer need to be consecutive.

So that helps. I also have received very clear directions about how to proceed, what to click when and that sort of thing. I did not have any of that when I first was looking at MTurk pages so it was confusing.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, that makes sense then. See I didn't even look at it until after they'd approved me and sent the directions, so I had a better idea of what was going on. :) Enjoy the site! I think m-turk is fun once you get used to it.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still have a few days of my 10 days to go. But I wrote my first full article today. I really like doing the callouts too, but there aren't as many available.

Even if I don't make a ton of money, I feel like I am getting some experience. I just saw a blurb where crowdsource will give a $50 bonus for writing 50 articles a week. So instead of $11 an article, it would be $12. I don't have time for that, since I work full time.

Anybody else having good luck so far?

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't worked in a few weeks, but I'm planning on getting back into it this week. Btw, I heard the bonus was for 25 articles a week. Are you sure it's 50? That seems pretty steep. Borderline impossible. Would definitely be impossible for me, but I thought I was told it was 25, which is do-able. I could be wrong.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, the correct number is 25 articles, not 50.

Today was my last day of having to do 5 HITs a day for the 10 days. Now I can just focus on writing the articles.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am still having good luck. Tonight there were a bunch of "callouts" available to write. They are my favorite because you get $2 for 20 words. (Even though some of mine are 40-50) They are quick and easy and I can do them even with the kids running around the house.

However, I am having a bit of a moral dilemma. For the most part, I stick to the orthopedic callouts because I am a physical therapist. Some of the articles that I have been reading in order to write the callout have factual errors and dangerous information. I reported these errors this evening but have not had a reply as of yet. If these articles were being published with my name on the callout, I would not do it. Even though I'm not the one writing the bad information, I don't really want to be associated with it in any way.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I am still having good luck. Tonight there were a bunch of "callouts" available to write. They are my favorite because you get $2 for 20 words. (Even though some of mine are 40-50) They are quick and easy and I can do them even with the kids running around the house.

However, I am having a bit of a moral dilemma. For the most part, I stick to the orthopedic callouts because I am a physical therapist. Some of the articles that I have been reading in order to write the callout have factual errors and dangerous information. I reported these errors this evening but have not had a reply as of yet. If these articles were being published with my name on the callout, I would not do it. Even though I'm not the one writing the bad information, I don't really want to be associated with it in any way.

I've had similar things like that doing freelance writing. One time they wanted an article about a medical condition that I have (don't want to get into details, sorry). I thought, "great" since I know so much about it. I spent a lot of time writing the article and sharing everything I know, which unfortunately, includes the fact that this medical condition is not curable and not very many things help with it. The client didn't like that. They basically got mad at me for telling the truth about the condition and instead wanted me to provide a list of tips and remedies. It made me really angry because there ARE no remedies. And the last thing I want to do is give people with this particular condition false hope.

I wasn't willing to rewrite the article to include lies. I can do a lot, but that isn't something I could live with.

thewritereflection

Registered
Reaction score
Oh. That is, IMHO, pure nonsense. People should get paid for whatever amount of work they do.

Agreed. There are far too many "services" out there like this that take advantage of writers. Even if you were paid outright, $11 for 300 words is terrible. Freelance writers need to start banding together and refusing to write for such paltry wages. Only when we refuse to do it will clients pay more.

thewritereflection

Registered
Reaction score
$11 an article is certainly better than the 4-5$ I'm making for the same length article at Textbroker.

Do you know why they can pay that kind of crappy rate and get away with it? Because people are willing to work for that low rate. If we all start refusing, they will have to raise rates. But sadly, there are far too many people who will work for $2 an article, so the rates will only go down from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.