The Bouncy Castle in Space

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I know, and I've never eaten either. In fact, I don't even know what they look like. And I've lived in the US for years.

Did I miss out?

Well...

They're good in the way that only something absolutely bad can be.

And they're pretty darn hard to explain, because they have things in them that are non-food items.

But you may be in luck. Word is that the company doesn't qualify for bankruptcy yet, because they didn't follow all the steps. And that they are hoping to sell the secret recipes to somebody. So all is not yet lost.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
On a separate note--did you know the common asthma drug Singulair can make you crazy...?

Inability to sleep, crazy-ass dreams if you do fall asleep, anxiety attacks and depression. Yep, I've had them all. Fortunately I figured out what was wrong before I started hallucinating...

It's been quite a strange fall. But now I know why I haven't been able to write a damn thing, and hopefully a few days off the drug will fix that.

Wish me luck!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I know, and I've never eaten either. In fact, I don't even know what they look like. And I've lived in the US for years.

Did I miss out?

I tried them when I visited an American friend. I'd sum them up as strangely synthetic. I think if you didn't grow up eating them and don't have fuzzy feelings about them, you're not going to miss them.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
MsJudy - Fortunately, one of the few things I don't suffer from is asthma, so I didn't know that.

I'm very glad you figured it out, though. That could be frightening. And depressing, if it kept you from writing.

It took me several years to figure out that muscle relaxers (prescribed for fibro) were causing me to have weird heart rhythms. The doctors couldn't figure out what was causing it, but I quit taking the drugs and realized the irregularities stopped. Took them again and they returned. Duh!

But I hope there's an alternative for you? I think breathing is pretty major even when not writing.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Inability to sleep, crazy-ass dreams if you do fall asleep, anxiety attacks and depression. Yep, I've had them all. Fortunately I figured out what was wrong before I started hallucinating...

It's been quite a strange fall. But now I know why I haven't been able to write a damn thing, and hopefully a few days off the drug will fix that.

Wish me luck!

While I enjoy crazy-ass dreams for the most part, those other things sound terrible. I hope you can find a less debilitating asthma drug.

My daughter likes to bake, which is great, except I really have a weakness for sugary snacks and I think I'm going to gain a lot of weight if she keeps this up. Yesterday she made frosted pumpkin spice cookies that were, oh my God, so good! I really need to develop some self-control.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks, Sheila, for sharing that link. I haven't been there before, but I've bookmarked it for when I have time to peruse without distractions.

I pretty much suck at frosting cookies that way, or any other way, for that matter, but they look really luscious. I love soft cookies the most, and pumpkin is the only vegetable my kiddo thinks is worthy of human consumption. I have a recipe we make for pumpkin bar cookies that I think are more cake than cookie, but he asked me to make some just the other day. Perhaps we should try these instead.

killdeer

Registered
Reaction score
On a separate note--did you know the common asthma drug Singulair can make you crazy...?

Wish me luck!

UGH!

Good luck with writing and finding better drugs!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Kind of like Jaffa cakes, in my opinion...

OMG I love jaffa cakes!

Now I am starting to worry that I've never eaten a Twinkie!!

It was so weird, the first I heard of this was when some guy posted on my freecycle list asking for Twinkies! That really was one of the weirdest posts I'd ever seen, until I saw the news. Maybe he thought he could put them on ebay for a lot of money....

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, only now the union and management are in mediation, so maybe ... just maybe ... all will be well.

:e2cookie:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
If you've never eaten a Twinkie, you definitely should. And then you should try a deep-fried Twinkie.

But probably only once. Unless you aren't afraid of high cholesterol and heart failure.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
OMG I love jaffa cakes!

So my nerdy 13yo has been watching the Yogscast, a bunch of nerdy guys, mostly British, making youtube videos about video games. One group has built a jaffa cake factory in Minecraft. So we had to order jaffa cakes from Amazon to see what all the fuss was about.

I was not impressed, but one of his friends (who just got elected student body president) loved them so much he persuaded the school student store to carry them for a week on a trial run.

We are doing our part for international collaboration, I guess...

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving all!

Everyone's asleep, and I'm enjoying a cup of coffee in quiet. I love mornings. I hope you all have a safe and happy day!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving! Drink lots of sweet tea and eat lots of pie. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Happy turkeys day, all.

My mom, sister, kids and I will be dining at Asilomar today.

http://www.visitasilomar.com/

Full buffet, with a walk on the beach afterwards. Plus mule deer wandering by most days. And someone else gets paid to wash the dishes.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
MsJudy - you posted at 11:11, my favorite time of all!

Hope everyone had a wonderful day filled with great food and fodder for many wonderful memories.

I was fortunate enough to receive a rejection letter today. It didn't suit their needs at this time.

Weird thing about it is I couldn't remember sending them a query for a PB, so I looked it up. I couldn't figure out their guidelines because their site was contradictory with QT, so all I sent was a query as to whether or not they actually accepted email queries for PBs, because the site said they did accept email queries, but didn't give an address for kidlit queries.

Guess I shot myself in the foot that time.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for all you teachers and others who are brainier than I am.

My little avatar has been staying with us for the last few days. I have felt that she is behind in her speech, but mom doesn't want her screened. Lately she has picked up quite a bit with vocabulary and sentence length, but she's still doing something I don't quite understand. Sometimes she says, "I want that." or "I need help." But then she turns around and says, "Me can do it." or "Me hungry."

Is it normal at the age of 3 to still mix that up so much? I just don't remember that far back with my older kids, and by this age my son still had a very limited vocabulary.

She's smart, though. Since she's been here she has seen way too many toys on the television commercials. This morning she saw some fairy dolls and said, "I gonna tell Santa to bring me them." Then a commercial for duplo blocks had her saying, "Michael wants those." I asked her if she wanted some of those, too. She rolled her eyes and said, "Michael will share." So I asked if she would share her fairy dolls, and she said, "Oh no, them is mine."

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Your examples sound quite normal for a 3yo. English syntax is SO freakin' complex, and they just have to learn by example and practice. Her brain is figuring out the rules, without being logical enough to understand rules if you explain them to her. For example, how do you explain when we use I and when we use Me? Even if you could figure out a simple version of the rule, she wouldn't be able to grasp it and apply it. So she'll do what's called "overgeneralizing"--doing something that's correct, but using it for every situation, even if it doesn't fit.

If you want to nudge her along, just repeat what she says, but in correct grammar: Yes, dear, I can do it, too. I'm hungry, too. You're right, those are yours. Gradually she'll pick up on things.

If you can understand clearly what she means, she feels comfortable talking, and you can tell that she's learning new words quickly, I wouldn't worry at this point. At that age, there's a wide range of what's normal. Kids have to be severely delayed before we actually take it too seriously.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Judy, for the reassurance. I do repeat back to her as you suggest, but often she looks at me like I'm crazy and says, No, Nana, ME can do it. But I'll keep doing it. The grammar cop in me won't allow me to stop.

I guess it's a miracle that learn to talk at all with the confusion of the English language. I remember when we were in Germany, one of the men I worked with was complaining about English. He loved to use the example: Look, son, these are blackberries. But they're red, father, not black. That's because they are still green.

I appreciate you for reminding me that she's come a long way in a short time.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
He loved to use the example: Look, son, these are blackberries. But they're red, father, not black. That's because they are still green.

That's a great example!

But as a German, he shouldn't complain. One of the reasons our syntax is crazy is because we use a blend of Latin and Germanic forms. Being able to make compound words (like blackberries) comes from the German roots.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I just did something maybe a little crazy. My oldest son turns 18 soon and starts college next fall, so I've been thinking a lot about myself at that age. It was...a crazy mixed-up time. I was supposed to be the super student, full scholarship to UCI, and I walked away from it all. Ended up working minimum wage jobs to put myself through school. Then got accepted into a PhD program in Albuquerque--and walked away from that, too.

So, I was feeling nostalgic and googled a couple of people who really mattered to me during those first 2 years. They're both now professors, one at U of Memphis and one at Stanford. I'd love to chat with them--it's been 30 years, and I still feel like they helped steer me in the right direction, however painful it was--so I sent them both emails. But... I do wonder if they'll judge me, a lowly kindergarten teacher. You guys know how much I love my job, it's not that I feel insecure. It's more that I wonder if there's anything we'll have in common any more, and I'll just be disappointed.

Plus one of them is male, and the last time I saw him, he wanted to kiss me, but I was living with someone so I said No. But the guy I was living with was wrong for me in every way, and I should have kissed this guy and walked away from the other. So... there's a little more history there than just Old Times, and this could potentially be very embarrassing.

But I hit Send anyway, so Too Late. What's done is done.

It does feel strange to look at my stable, sober, mature, responsible son. It makes me realize just how lost and crazy I was at the same age. And how much I've grown up. And for some reason, it makes me want to get in touch with people who knew me when I was crazy. Isn't that odd?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's crazy at all. If you hadn't made the choices you did, would you be sending this son to college soon? And I've lost track of most of my old friends from school, but when I do run across one, it's all good.

But I definitely want to know how it goes with the one you spurned. That part would definitely have me thinking twice. But since you already hit that send button, have no regrets for whatever develops.

And never, ever, EVER give someone else permission to look down upon you for your career choice. Kindergarten teachers are at the top of my list of professionals who deserve all our thanks and gratitude.