Twelve Laws Every Blogger Should Know

rhondawrites

Queen of Procrastination
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.winmcgrath.com
Thank you for sharing the article. I've heard so much talk about copyright laws in regards to using links and images in personal blogs. It is nice to see the specifics laid out all nice and neat.

zarkia

is picky about what she likes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threecornersquare.com
thanks for posting this. good article, but i wonder how it works in the rest of the world.

amarierayne

Registered
Reaction score
Gives ya something to think about. I think most people are OK when it comes to these things. It's people who do reviews on products and services all the time generating hundreds of readers that makes the difference in some of these things.
I agree also that some things in there are outdated now but a little research into the current laws doesn't take long.

lgendrot

Registered
Reaction score
Goodness! I had no idea there were so many legal aspects to blogging, it's almost too intimidating! (almost, :) )

NovelTk

Registered
Reaction score
Good info especially if one is paid and/or seeking massive followers. Also, I think it's important to protect all work even if no one intends to steal it. "ya neva know..."

Tiffany Price

Where Imagination Soars
Registered
Reaction score
Blogger Laws

Very interesting things to know, thanks for sharing.

Rawiya

Registered
Reaction score
Reading up on the shield laws was interesting. It reminds me of the book "Feed" by Mira Grant where bloggers are supplanting traditional news media.

It also crossed my mind that "ain't being involved in evolution" fun as I read the laws?!?! :D

karlhindle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.keybasher.com
Where where you 6 months ago when I needed you ;)

I'm currently being sued in a defamation case in New York (Senese-v-Hindle) for $5 million - I wrote about a convicted fraudster and called him "a convicted fraudster" - I'm on sound legal ground, but it is still a huge pain the B-hind.

Nevertheless, this is an excellent overview of the legal position - thanks!

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
Still getting used to the blogging thing. Noticed that I don't tend to do 'deep linking' - perhaps I'm not deep thinking (?) Have also learned to just keep my camera around and take pictures of the books I'm reading and want to refer to in the blog. Nobody will ever confuse a picture of a slightly worn library copy with downloaded imagery from a commercial sight. Do need to put the copyright notice on the blog.

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That is great information and some of the rules are really good to know. Especially the content copying.

Thanks for posting!

DiannaG

Registered
Reaction score
That looks like a really comprehensive list. I wish there were more places to find information on the counterpart Canadian laws.

kevin the wolf

Risking Honesty for Sanity
Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant information. I am a new blogger always looking for information on the limits to what I can do. All writers need boundaries, even if they choose to cross them, it is good to know they are there.

Kevin The Wolf

http://beautifulshadows1.blogspot.com/

quietguy

First one to talk loses.
Registered
Reaction score
Law Schmaw

Looks like the recommendation was from Dec 2006. See below:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/closings/staff/061211staffopiniontocommercialalert.pdf

I always knew it was a good and ethical practice, but I never knew it was law to disclose being paid by the subject of a post or article. Great post!

It also appears as though they decided not to "recommend formal action" on this matter. So...it doesn't look like a law to me. It's best for your readers to disclose paid relationships but it doesn't look like it's required. At least not from this document.

Anumie

Registered
Reaction score
One way to avoid issues with "deep linking" is to make sure you attribute all your links. This way, when people hover over a link, there's a little popup that says "related article on X website" or something. Wordpress has its own field to enter this information when you create a link, but most people ignore it.

Copyblogger has some great tutorials on blogging. They target the internet marketing crowd a bit, but many of their tips will apply to anyone who wants to write a blog that people would want to read. ;)