G'Day

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL.

What I've started doing is hanging my washing on a clothes horse thing inside the house. We need it during winter, when it can rain at any moment, but I also use it in summer, to avoid the spiders who love the washing line outside. :)

Kimmy84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimtaylorauthor.blogspot.com.au
HAHAHA,
Look at us a bunch of writers discussing the weather and our washing!
I have 6 kids, so I'd need LOTSA clothes horses! I do use them for towels but find my house is so cold inside even in summer that the washing takes so long to dry it starts to smell. Whack 'em in the dryer!

My other problem lately was gastro... Everyone had it but me... and everyone got sick in bed... so I had doonas, sheets, pillows, mattresses and lots of favourite cuddly things to get through the wash. Not to mention every towel in the house... and some socks... Some one managed to puke on their own socks... BLECH!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sydney is all over the place lately. Ranging from 36 one day to 22 the next... Its really playing havoc with my washing ;)

Interesting... I'm coming back home to Sydney for Christmas. I probably won't need my snow suit after all. :D

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I have I a 15 year old daughter and looking back on her early years, we never suffered from the gastro stuff, but nits, nits, nit and more nits.

We even took them to Fiji and my daughter had one very mortified mother. See I have really thick hair...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm betting this thread wasn't approved by those hard-working people at Tourism Australia? ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

It must be a hard job... "Come to a hot, dry country full of things that can kill you!" LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I think Australia's doing a lot of things right. But yeah... All the things we're famous for aren't exactly big selling points.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

It must be a hard job... "Come to a hot, dry country full of things that can kill you!" LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I think Australia's doing a lot of things right. But yeah... All the things we're famous for aren't exactly big selling points.

Almost everyone I've met while travelling has said how much they'd love to visit Australia. Of course, I keep pretty quiet about the headlice and the national drinking problem.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. But yeah, every adult I've met in Australia drinks too much.

Actually, that's changed recently. I gave up drinking last year, and dad doesn't drink any more, which was very unexpected. I think he would still drink a lot, except he has an iron problem. No booze allowed.

Mum would probably drink still, except she's allergic to alcohol. When she found out and joked that it might be hereditary, I thought that would be a fate worse than death, not being able to drink.

And y'know what? Nearly a year without alcohol, and I hardly miss it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's my point. I think Australia likes to talk itself down, in a way that other nations don't tend to do. I think it's a pity.

Kimmy84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I'm of the 'No Drinking' variety. Still have a beer on a birthday or at a big BBQ, but just one... I seem to have no interest in drinking. Also, its VERY hard to look after 6 kids when your hung over! Oldest is 12 youngest twins are only 18mnths.

Australia rocks, 'nuff said!

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's my point. I think Australia likes to talk itself down, in a way that other nations don't tend to do. I think it's a pity.

We talk ourselves down constantly - and what's more, we have very little to show to prove we don't suck. :)

I think it might be a case of the grass always being greener on the other side, you know? :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, grass is greener is a common problem, it seems.

We should start a new tourism website... "Australia: The grass is so green you'll need to wear sunglasses at night!"

Hmm. It might need some work... :tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Totally braggable. :tongue

Kangaroos have probably made the average American think about Australia more often than our political presence. Although maybe I'm talking out of my arse... Australia came off quite well after the economic crisis hit England and America quite badly. Our dollar's never been stronger, as far as I know.

So chances are we're being thought of more often now. Like we're stepping out of our "Young country" persona and actually kicking butt.

/ramble

(The previous ramble may be total horseshit for all I know. This is why I'm not studying politics at Uni!)

Kimmy84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, Iv'e also heard we have a funny accent... Now living in Sydney, I know I have NO accent. Iv'e lived in 4 states and some of them have accents, but Sydney is too multicultral I think to form an accent.

Im with you CF, as much as people complain about politics, I think we did ok... But i know nothing either!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone going to see The Hobbit on Boxing Day? I haven't ordered the tickets, so I'm pretty sure it'll be sold out for the first few days at my local cinema. But I'm planning on seeing it before New Year's.

But what I find baffling is this: The movie was shot in New Zealand. The first screening is in New Zealand. We're New Zealand's immediate neighbour. Yet we're getting the movie 2 weeks after most countries. In fact, Australia is second-last to get the movie (last is Iceland, if memory serves).

What's up with that?

But yeah, I've been rewatching LOTR these past few days. I find it very hard to sit through a 3-hour movie in a single day, just coming back to it periodically, but I'm 2 hours into the second movie now. Such a great film.

I think the first one is still my favourite, though.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Has anyone noticed our little thread has almost 100,000 views, despite us being drunks, time wasters and layabouts?

So perhaps we aren't doing that bad for tourism...