What are you reading?

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Dave Eggers: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.
I thought it would be better.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Reading JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit" by Corey Olsen. It discusses the Hobbit chapter by chapter, touching on the topics of Luck and Bilbo's nature. And it deals with the Hobbit as an independent work from and prior to the Lord of the Rings. (Tolkien tied a lot of things together between the two books and to the history that the Silmarillion covers once he decided to do the larger story.)

Reading now: At Day's Close: Night in Times Past by A. Roger Ekirch.

Almost finished with: History and Harry Potter.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. It is not for the faint of heart. I've never seen quite so comprehensive an array of mayhem inflicted on fictional children and I haven't even gotten to chapter six.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
I found an old edition of the hobbit from the 60's in some old stuff of a family members. So I thought I would read it again.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
The Lovers Room by Steven Carroll, one of my favourite Australian writers. It is quite a compelling story about love found and lost, betrayal, passion, secrets and trust...

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Too Good to be True - It's a discussion of the Bernard Madoff fraud case by some reporter for Barron's. Normally I find nonfiction financial stuff absolutely fascinating (no, really) especially if there's some sort of disaster involved, but this is borderline unreadable. I'm guessing the author signed a contract to deliver X thousand words and then realized she didn't have any actual sources. What I've seen thus far is 99% filler.

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Just finished The Next Always by Nora Roberts, my first contemporary romance (or contemporary novel that wasn't fantastic in some way) and while I enjoyed it, it was definitely a different experience for me and kind of refreshing for how normal, it is.

Starting, Leviathan by Scott Westerfield. I keep getting recommended it so I'm excited!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The Unlikely Pilgrimmage of Harold Fry (Rachel Joyce)

before that:
A Lady by Midnight (Tessa Dare)
Dealing with David (Katriena Knights)

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
A Case of Need by Michael Crichton (under the pseudonym Jeffery Hudson)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful Ruins (Jess Walter)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet Tooth, Ian McEwan's latest. I've spent an unprecedented two weeks on it so far (due to NaNo), I'm about half-way and FINALLY something bordering on exciting happened. I am disappointed so far, but I know there will be more to this story soon...

adm

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading attack if the theater people - it is a fun read. The previous book I read was THe Rules of Civility - both make me happy I am no longer in my twenties

TheKoB

Smooth Operator
Registered
Reaction score
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe.

So brilliant! I almost vomited with laughter.

Currently I'm reading Zen-Mind, Beginner-Mind by Shunyru Suzuki and it's real heavy stuff.