• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Scrivener, yWriter, or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejket

Noobus Perpetuus
Registered
Reaction score
I use Mac and Linux, and the only cross-platform solution I really like is HTML -- so I use Bluefish with local pages on Dropbox to generate and organize the material. For the formatted manuscript, I use LibreOffice.

I do like Scrivener on the Mac, and I do like Zim on Linux, but nothing is as seamless across platforms as HTML, and it's very flexible when it comes to organizing information and prose.

ShadowyEclipse

SPAAAAAAACE!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Scrivener with the N.W contest, but my trial ran out, and since I am broke now, No more wonderfulness, I can't buy the full version.

If you got the money, go Scrivener. It is MAGICAL. Even if you DON'T have the money, buy it. The guy who makes it does it by himself, so go support an Indie.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Word Perfect x5, I also use Word 10--I prefer WP in that the grammar checker makes sense, I love the little drop down thesaurus box, and the control I have over work space etc., and the reveal codes window is fantastic--not just the tabs and so, it shows you everything.

This. (Though I'm still back on X2.)

I'm looking into Liquid Story Binder, as well.

JeffC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maynedon.com
I migrated to Scrivener a month or two ago. Prior to that I used Open/Libre Office for a few years, with about a decade of Emacs before that.

Scrivener doesn't really help me with composing a rough draft, but I love it for revision work. When I write, I put the program in full-screen, typewriter mode, ignore its other features and just type. When I give what I wrote a quick once-over the next day, I break it up into scenes and write summaries. On subsequent drafts, I add meta-data.

As much as I think Scrivener is a great tool for organizing a large amount of text, the program's greatest feature (IMHO) is its ability to keep all bells and whistles out of my way until I want to use them.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
As much as I think Scrivener is a great tool for organizing a large amount of text, the program's greatest feature (IMHO) is its ability to keep all bells and whistles out of my way until I want to use them.

That and its export/compile functions. I love that I can work in my preferred font, line-spacing, etc, then output it in a completely different format that suits a given editor, without changing the original.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I really like Scrivener, but it's not very portable, which is its biggest drawback for me. I'm an administrative assistant, and sometimes I end up working on more than one computer at work as well as my laptop at home, and Scrivener doesn't seem to work off of just a flash drive. It seems like it would as long as the program is installed on the actual computer, but that's not an option at work. So right now I'm back to pen/paper and Word. Which is a shame. I really like the organization options with Scrivener and some of the other programs out there, but I really need something completely portable.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm falling for Scrivener. I was just a plain old text editor to write because all the other crap from some of the other word processers was getting in my way.

I've probably not used all the features to the best of my abilities, though.

However, I haven't purchased it since the NaNo trial ran out, but the hubs still owes me a Christmas present so that may be it.

Apologue

Pure heart, filthy mind
Registered
Reaction score
iaWriter is my software of choice. I use the version for iPad, so it's very portable. I can easily export directly to email or save to the cloud. It also has a focus mode that lets you only see the line of text you're working on so that you don't get bogged down in wanting to go back and revise. The program is definitely not ideal for revisions, but for the simplicity of getting first drafts done, it is perfection.

It used to have a feature that allowed you to sync to Dropbox, and I hope they bring that back with a future release.

http://www.iawriter.com/

Emtock

Registered
Reaction score
I've always used MS Word (I had the 2009 or 10 version on my old computer, but all I have on my new computer is 2003, which is fine for me). I once tried using yWriter, though. It had a lot of cool things, but it didn't work well for me in terms of getting the story onto the page.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
My favorite was Word Perfect 4.2. The entire program could fit on a 5-1/2 inch floppy and run off of any computer. It was fast, simple, efficient unlike any of the bloatware made today.

So what do I use today since "advances" in computers have made WP4.2 obsolete? Paper and a fountain pen. Then transcribe using Open Office or Google Docs.
There are Notepad replacement programs out there that might work well, too.

I use Notepad++, because it allows me to create syntax highlighting for scripting, programming, HTML, etc. And it, too, can run from a disk (I use a USB flash drive).

I'm thinking about buying NewNovelist. But I'm always paranoid about software anymore, that doesn't provide a trial. I mean, if even Microsoft will let you try MS Office...

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
When it comes to just first-draft writing, getting the words on the page, I've been using Ommwriter. It doesn't have many (or really, any) formatting features, but it blocks out everything else on the screen, which helps keep me from getting distracted.

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
I tried Scrivener, but I just didn't like the feel of it, so right now I am trying WriteWay. It isn't free, but I was able to get the top version at half price, so no complaints there. You can use it on up to three computers, save in different formats, use a very good storyboard, move scenes and chapters around, keep extra scenes, have all of your research in one spot, and it even has a spot for using characters. I like this better then Scrivener, because WriteWay was made specifically for Windows, though there is a Mac version coming out, sorta the opposite of Scrivener, which I am not sure if there is a Windows version or not.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I tried Scrivener, but I just didn't like the feel of it, so right now I am trying WriteWay. It isn't free, but I was able to get the top version at half price, so no complaints there. You can use it on up to three computers, save in different formats, use a very good storyboard, move scenes and chapters around, keep extra scenes, have all of your research in one spot, and it even has a spot for using characters. I like this better then Scrivener, because WriteWay was made specifically for Windows, though there is a Mac version coming out, sorta the opposite of Scrivener, which I am not sure if there is a Windows version or not.

There is now.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I didn't know there were so many different writing software out there. I knew a little about yWriter and definitely Scrivener. I really do like Scrivener though. It is taking me a little bit to learn to navigate though, but that's mostly because I've used MS word for so long. However, I'm really debating on buying it though. Simply because at this moment I'm not really trying to publish. (I'm want to learn a way lot more about it before I do.) So, once my trial is up, I might just go back to MS Word or yWriter. yWriter is free right? Are there any other free software programs out there?

EDIT: To Scrivener Users: I'm trying to learn a little more about using the corkboard to outline. Did the tutorial offer any help, or did you just have to learn? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
I agree completely.

I'm not saying Scrivener is not OK. It didn't work in a way with which I was personally 100% comfortable. May be fantastic for others, but it's definitely not for me.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded a few free trials and settled on trying StoryBox because I preferred its interface to others. I've used it to plot and write one first draft, and I feel obligated now to purchase it, rather than just use the free version. But since I have a discount for winning NaNo, I'm considering trying Scrivener before committing to spending money on one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.