• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Elite Finesse Literary Agency (formerly Finesse Literary Agency)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FYI - Writer Beware reports that:
- Finesse Literary Agency is now doing business as [The] Elite Finesse Literary Agency. (How do we know? The owner, Karen Carr, didn't change her name--or her fee-charging M.O.)
Other listings include K.E. Carr / The Elite Finesse Literary Publishing Agency.

bubblegirl

Resident Bubble Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bubblegirl.net
I have to say, anyone looking for an agent should read Preditors and Editors first. Victoria, your crew have a great website there. I always check on there before contacting firms. Let's say, I've had bad experiences in the past.

S.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Okay--now THAT'S a brilliant name change. Nobody will EVER guess that The Elite Finesse Literary Agency is the same as the Finesse Literary Agency. No, really...um...yeah.

(*insert sarcasm notice for those who can't detect it easily*)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
bubblegirl said:
I have to say, anyone looking for an agent should read Preditors and Editors first. Victoria, your crew have a great website there.
Actually, P&E is Dave Kuzminski (who I'm sure will appreciate your compliment). Ann Crispin and I run Writer Beware, which has a similar mission but is a separate operation (we provide general warnings about literary fraud plus some specific alerts, while Dave provides lists of agents and publishers with specific notations as to which ones charge fees, etc.)

- Victoria

Richkd

Registered
Reaction score
Finesse

I used Karen about 7-8 years ago when I was a young(er), unpublished author. I had yet to learn the BUSINESS of writing, but my eyes are wide open now. Ms. Carr sat on my work for 4-5 months despite assuring me that publishers would be contacted fairly quickly. She charged me a fee (which is a no-no for a professional, but I didn't know that at the time), then didn't cash my check for 9 months. I have no idea if she actually contacted any of the publishers she said she did, but based on the responses (or lack thereof), I have to assume the worse. That episode turned me off to agents permanently, and I have been published by legitimate publishing houses three times since, so I won't be going back to an agency.

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Richkd:

Welcome. Congratulations on your pubs without an agent! You do realize that you've never been represented by an agency though, right? Lumping working with an agent in with being scammed by a preditor leaves you with an unfortunate misconception of the process.

It's supposed to be difficult, not useless.

GB

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
That episode turned me off to agents permanently

I don't understand this. A fraudulent, incompetent agency is not representative of what legitimate, competent agencies can provide. It's like saying "I was ripped off by a quack, so no more doctors for me!"

danielleputnam4

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You

I just wanted to say thank you so much. The Elite Finesse Literary Agency just contacted me about a series of books I am working on wanting to know if I could submit some more sample chapters. Then she asked me to pay her $170 total for recieving my information. Being a new writer and trying to get published I almost paid her; however I ran across this website first and refuse to pay her now. Thank you so much for helping new authors like me.