Where does your dog sleep at night.

bk.dogge

Registered
Reaction score
Our 33" 140lb Great Dane girl, Boots, sleeps on the bed (takes up almost a full queen sized stretched out), the couch, the floor or her tempurpedic mattress depending on wherever she wants to be. Sometimes it depends on the time of day. She's never left home alone (can't do that to a velcro breed like a Dane), in fact in the 3 years we've had her, she's never been left alone for longer than an hour at any point. She goes everywhere with us and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We actually had to train her and encourage her to go up onto the couches and other furniture. It took a few months until she was comfortable going up and staying up on her own, and even still, asked permission many times before knowing it was okay. Very smart dog and her temperament is truly one of a kind. So much so that sometimes I forget that she is a dog and not a human due to her wonderful personality.

Never has chewed, never has had to be supervised in the house as a puppy. For such a giant breed of dog that can be prone to separation anxiety (My mothers Dane 30 years ago chewed up all of her shoes and up the side of the wall on her first day home) I am glad that we waited until we had the time in our life to sufficiently incorporate these guys into it fully.

Our other, Kosmo, a 10 month old boy, is still kenneled and likely will be until he's a year old. While he still is a "gentle giant" he is much less of one at this point in his life compared to Boots. He's already 34" and 130lbs... and every ounce of that is like a bull in a china shop sometimes.

No bed for him yet. :)

Taytortots

Registered
Reaction score
Website
storywrite.com
I have two dogs, and they both sleep in my room. Jack, my German Sheppard sleeps right up by my face, and sometimes I wake up with him crushing my lungs laying on top of me. Charlotte, a Golden Retriever, sleeps by my feet but sometimes moves her way up.

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Our dogs sleep wherever they want. One, Baja, tends to get up and move around. Sometimes we wake up and he's on top of us. Sometimes he is down on the basement couch where its cooler in the summer.

As long as the room is dog-safe, our pups can and do sleep there.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Our dog (Boxer Lab mix) sleeps on the foot of the bed until it's time for her humans to go to sleep. Then she moves to her thick, comfy bed over by our closet. For the most part, she stays there - although since we moved our son from his toddler bed to a twin, she does wander into his room to hop up with him from time to time. :)

In the morning, she wakes me up by jumping up and getting all snuggly, which include nosing me until I get up.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This morning I felt the puppy (who is a year old now) work her way up between us. I thought she was going to stand over me and wiggle her "it's time to get up" wiggle, but she curled up next to me and went back to sleep. So cute.

Kehengto

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a happy yellow lab fur baby just about a year old. At night she chooses to sleep in her cage, through the day though... whereever she fancies except on the furniture.

In regards to the original post; it's all about the training. We didn't let her on the bed at first, and even now she is allowed up only when we let her. If we leave her alone at the house we shut the bed room doors and she has full reign of the house.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kehengto-
that's the thing though, we trained her too well. she'll come in during the day - she's even napped with my husband. but when we invite her in at night, she goes back out to the living room. Though we've taken to leaving a pillow in the hall by our door - which we leave open at night- and I noticed she was on it last night.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
They sleep in their beds, which are on the floor next to my bed. Well, they have these 'dog cots,' and on top of the cots I put their soft beds. And, of course, their blankets and small-sized sleeping bags.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
One on my bed, all night. One goes to bed with me when I do, but eventually leaves and goes to sleep in the living room. Third dog sleeps on her own bed, next to mine (the bed actually belongs to dog #1, but she's been stealing it for months, so I think it's officially hers now).

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My little Winnie passed away last Summer. She was my only friend for 9 years, but she was sick and she is now in an honored place in the back yard. When she was alive though, she either slept on the bed or by the bed. Gawl I miss her, but she's at peace now.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Our border collies (two, ages 3 & 5) sleep in their kennels, just outside our bedroom doors (master, and nursery). The st. bernard/lab mix (elderly) sleeps at the foot of our bed on a doggie bed.

We kennel the BC's in case of a fire, etc. That way we know exactly where they are, plus they like their 'rooms', and go in them whenever they want a break.

KRHolbrook

is not a My Little Pony
Registered
Reaction score
My doberman pinscher sleeps with me on my bed. We usually stretch out with our backs against one another, or she curls up and sleeps with her head on my stomach. :)

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
On the couch - though he knows damn well he's not supposed to :(

Magnas

Really Devious
Registered
Reaction score
My Boston terrier sleeps in her box. I tried having her sleep in bed with me, but she paces and would take forever to calm down.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HI Magnas, Welcome to AW. That's what mine does. Our a/c was out the other night and we put a window unit in our bedroom until it was fixed and we brought both dogs in to our room with us to keep them cool and closed the door. She paced some but settled down in our shower (where she goes during storms.) I moved a couple times to roll over and she came over and touched my hand both times, I don't think she liked being in there. I've decided she wants to guard the house and it's better to let her. We keep our door open and she comes in when we stir in the morning.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
They both sleep on the floor for most of the night on their respective doggie beds. Our female boxer, Brandi, sneaks up in bed sometime after about 3am when she decides she's too lonely and needs to cuddle.
Our boxer/pit mix Abe climbs into bed in the morning, shivering because he's cold and sneaks into the covers to warm up, usually about 5am.
I usually wake up about 6:30 completely pinned and unable to move because I have a dog on each side of me. Brandi can usually be discovered on her back between me and my husband, paws in the air, snoring away, while Abe usually curls up around and on my legs.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Roxy (our elderly chow mix) sleeps on my side of the bed until I come to bed (my husband usually retires first). Then she usually moves to a dog bed on the floor by my side of the bed (with a long-suffering sigh).

Flick, the young border collie/shepherd mix sleeps in a crate in the bedroom still, as she is not completely trustworthy and has gotten snitty with Wiley over bed space a couple of times. She still has to learn it's not "her" bed.

Wiley the kelpie sleeps curled up against my back. He has less fur than the other two and gets cold, evidently.

Leo, the large, white cat usually sleeps between our pillows.

stonefly

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
When we're on the road, Blackie sleeps on the floor or on the driver's seat. She get's spooked by storms. That's the only time she climbs into the bunk with me.

When we're home, she sleeps under my old Dodge van. I bought her doghouses, but she won't enter them. For a while, I evicted her from her chosen home when I needed to use the van. After a while, I retired the van and it hasn't moved in 6 years.

She has to crawl under the back bumper and rear axle, but when she reaches her spot nearer to the front of the van, she can stand up. She's an amazing excavator. She made a cave for herself. I don't have the heart to move the van. It's hers.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ireally appreciate everyone sharing. I never imagined this thread would keep going like it has.

Now we have 3 dogs, we got the third on Saturday. He's a sweet little guy. Right now he's sleeping in his crate but when he's house broken we'll let him pick a place. Ihope it's in our room. :)