Can you write a nonfiction novel about a criminal who has been dead for over 30 years?

Karen Landis

Registered
Reaction score
As soon as I think of something I want to say, I read a post by someone who knows what they're talking about. Thanks a lot, HapiSofi.

RedWritingHood

Registered
Reaction score
My brother is a murderer. He killed four people. I published a nonfiction book about it. I changed the names of everyone in the book so no one would sue me. If my brother, who is paranoid schizophrenic, ever gets out of prison, he's likely to find me and do me in. Another problem with my book was that the publisher made changes that negated some of the truth. It really upset me, since my whole point was to tell the story of what it's like to be the sister of a murderer. I risked my life for her lies. One of my big lessons from this whole thing has been to learn to overcome fear on all levels. It's working. I'd say go for what feels right to you. That's what I did.

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious why some here seem afraid of writing this story as non-fiction? I'm a crime reporter and newspapers, books, and magazines report true stories about criminals all the time.

My book, now on sub, is about recent crimes committed by people who are still alive but I'm still not worried about libel because it's all true and well documented.

Personally, I think your book would be MUCH more gripping if it were nonfiction, that is, true.

And although Capote used the artful term "nonfiction novel," the current genre name is "narrative nonfiction."

It's a wonderful and very popular genre -- think "Killing Pablo," "Seasbiscuit," "Black Hawk Down," "Devil in the White City," and on and on...

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
40 K into the fictionalized version and going to finish my first draft by the end of the month. Then on to do edits/rewrites. I found out some information on the actual people that surprised me. One of the killers is still alive, just released in October of 2012. He's nearing 65-70 and living nearby.

I've had such a great time writing this, so exciting to work on something that I feel is good. I've never completed a ms so soon, it's amazing when you have a subject that practically tells you their story. A lot was changed from actual facts and so I've evolved the story into my own. I can't wait to do the rewrites! I spent about three months writing what would be a baseline of 50K. Then I have enough room to do my rewrites and add whatever I need or whatever needs to be changed when it isn't working. So far, I'm hoping it will be around 65-70K.

It took me years to write my first ms. This one is strangely writing itself for me and I've had nothing but a clear image of everything I want to happen from day one. I've never mapped out a story either, maybe I should try that more often!

Sounds like it's going to be fascinating! Keep us posted...