XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim are both minor masterpieces, but the overwhelming sense of the US market I get is one of fear - there hasn't for example, been anything as ambitious as Cerebus (however badly that ended up), nor as groundbreaking as Maus or Palestine in ages. The same titles keep getting regurgitated with slightly different flavors, and the entire market is shrinking as people wonder why there aren't more readers...

On a related note, I really detest the shiny paper which sticks to my fingers, and leaves unsightly marks on the page. I tend to stick to golden age or silver age comics when I go on spending binges to avoid buying something which is destroyed in the process of enjoying it.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually toying with the idea of trying to make a digital migration in comics. I've got... well, not an ungodly, but a hell of a lot of graphic novel compilations taking up a lot of shelf space, and a move out of our apartment and into our first home is driving home the point of just how much space those precious comics take up once you start looking for boxes to pack them in.

Also, for the record, since I'm Canadian, both Cerebus and Scott Pilgrim are products of Canucks, not Americans.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. The rest of the world does not make the Canadian/American distinction. :D (my bad, seeing as I should be more exacting in such matters). There's great filing cabinets from the late eighties which fit about a thousand GN's in them, and I have five in my shed. Packing those up is going to be a nightmare...

I love the idea of digital comics, but I've only seen about a dozen which I would consider keeping in that format. Too often people go by the comic page dimensions and ignore the screen dimensions (and scrolling up and down the screen to read a conversation is a deal breaker, IMO).

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The rest of the world does not make the Canadian/American distinction.

Think of it like the England/Scotland distinction, except historically instead of us constantly slaughtering Canadians, we just subject them to our television.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Think of it like the England/Scotland distinction, except historically instead of us constantly slaughtering Canadians, we just subject them to our television.

We gave you Bryan Adams and Nickelback. I think that clears any debts.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim are both minor masterpieces, but the overwhelming sense of the US market I get is one of fear - there hasn't for example, been anything as ambitious as Cerebus (however badly that ended up), nor as groundbreaking as Maus or Palestine in ages. The same titles keep getting regurgitated with slightly different flavors, and the entire market is shrinking as people wonder why there aren't more readers...

Wait. You're saying they keep reissuing old crap for our consumption? No way. No how.*

*These statements totally don't count recent remakes of: Fright Night, 21 Jump Street, Total Recall, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Freaking Three Stooges, etc. Screw it, here's A-M (probably not all US).

Yes. US Media...

*runs away from thread as fast as possible*

In all fairness, South Park isn't exactly the standard to which all US media is held. That's The Simpsons. TYVM.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. You're saying they keep reissuing old crap for our consumption? No way. No how.

Um... Crap. Okay. In a nutshell - yeah.

To elucidate - nothing which has appeared in mainstream (read: superhero) comics in the last decade has advanced the language of the form significantly, and in fact some of the titles I have read seem to be debasing the form. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

It isn't a criticism limited to comics. Is there a game show which has pushed the boundaries of the format in recent years? No. We get the same thing handed to us with shinier sets, more infantile presenters (a fetus is going to be presenting something soon at this rate), and dumber questions.

The problem here isn't with the publishers and broadcasters, it is entirely with the audience - we should refuse to accept second-hand entertainment, and demand higher standards. If everyone stopped buying things out of habit and looked for quality (and there are great works out there if you look hard enough) then the entire market improves.

Habits kill inventiveness. Originality suffers. We get yet another rehash of something which wasn't blisteringly brilliant the first time.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, I write stuff like this and for the next week have to fend off e-mails from people whining that I'm being mean and insulting their "favoritest thing EVER"... :chair

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, I write stuff like this and for the next week have to fend off e-mails from people whining that I'm being mean and insulting their "favoritest thing EVER"... :chair

It's impossible that mixing Star Wars and Office Space could be anything but awesome. (Not 100% sure that's what you were even talking about, btw.) :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
In all fairness, South Park isn't exactly the standard to which all US media is held. That's The Simpsons. TYVM.

So true.

Also, I was reading the 'news' yesterday. It said that someone called Jessica Simpson had had a baby. I'm going 'Bart, Lisa, who was she?' It's not just the media. I think American life is judged by the Simpsons now.

And in the USA / Canada debate. I know the difference, but that's because at school we were taught that we used to own it.

Good morning cantinas :Sun:

Er, :Coffee: first I believe.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

As long as you wear the kilt while you're doing it, you can talk ugly about anything you like.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I am home today from work since I'm supposed to be contagious. I hope I feel better soon. I'm not feeling as good as I thought I would this morning though.
:Hug2: and I hope you feel better soon. Just pretend you are incubating the plague that will bring the end of the world and maybe you'll feel a bit better.

Just imagine meeting all those annoying people you don't like and coughing on them or shaking their hand.

I leave for less than a day and we get another new name? :Shrug:

So, it's my birthday and I'm not doing anything special today. Very busy work day with lots of meetings. Planning to go to my Krav Maga class tonight. Husband is working late, so I must fend for my own food. I swear, the older I get, the less exciting birthdays are.

Upside: Avengers this weekend.

Happy B-Day, mine was a week ago. I forgot though, till my little one started singing happy birthday in the car on the way home. Apparently the teachers at Day-care remembered and told him.

So true.

Also, I was reading the 'news' yesterday. It said that someone called Jessica Simpson had had a baby. I'm going 'Bart, Lisa, who was she?' It's not just the media. I think American life is judged by the Simpsons now.

And in the USA / Canada debate. I know the difference, but that's because at school we were taught that we used to own it.

Good morning cantinas :Sun:

Er, :Coffee: first I believe.
Coffee should come first, I agree.

This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?

I've been here long enough without American TV that I have no idea who that is. I have heard the name before, but haven't felt a need to do an intensive google project.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?

I went and looked in the end. She's no one important that you need worry about. And don't be embarassed. I had no idea who she was either which is why I originally thought that she was yellow with four digits on each hand and two-dimensional.

ION, I am darning socks.

Ooo, bananas :banana::banana:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
*Drives by Cantina, peppering everyone with confetti from a tommy gun*

Helloooooooo!

*speeds off into the workday*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Confetti party!

I must finish watching the banana vid later.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning friends!

I'm feeling more normal today. Actually got the kitchen cleaned this morning and everything.

Oh and Mr Kricket is officially a Brony. Apparently when he's up late with the baby he's been watching My Little Pony. I tease him about it relentlessly.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
morning all ... another day, another rejection. and now off to work. That's kinda of adding insult to injury don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.