Rejectomancy

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
...and I now have the response to my query.

116 day R from Lamplight. Made it to the final round though, so I'm pleased. (Project Deadlight - hope yours is more successful!)

Thanks Fihr :/ Sorry to hear yours. They are obviously considering the final round subs now then. And you know my luck with the final round these last few months... :(

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Ahaha, that's awesome! I, of course, take all the credit since I called it back on the 10th:

It's true! Could you please put in a good word for my Dragon story?

This is usually the type of thing I frown on in rejectomancy, but this time I feel only happy for you! Congrats! That's freakin' amazing.

Yeah, I wouldn't normally but I just couldn't bear to lose the context.

Ok, when you put it like that I guess there's some logic there

But I'm still thinking that waiting 2 years for $1000 is like driving 20 miles to save 2p a litre of fuel...

Yeah, definitely about the prestige more than the money. Also, bear in mind that if you make it past the six month point, it means you've been passed up to the senior editors, so that would be a really silly point at which to withdraw. I think if you are counting on an acceptance, you need to allow for a one-year turnaround for Tor. Mine was excessive, to be fair.

There are plenty of people who treat them as an invite-only market but Tor.com have published at least one story from the slush that I know of.That story won a Hugo.

For the record, my response was from Liz Gorinsky. It was very clear about what she did and did not like about the story and ended with:

I do hope things will speed up considerably now that we've recovered from the massive initial flood and have several more hands on deck to do first reads.

Thanks all for the good wishes!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
1 million day R from L0re (really, more like 160s or something) after I queried. Yes, I might have a couple band-aids left.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
17 day form R from Strange Horizons. At least this one wasn't signed by a slushie.

(And now I can send it to Clockwork Phoenix.)

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Today I queried a market after I felt they had sat on my story long enough (well beyond the rest of the slush submitted at a similar date). Their response was that they rejected it on the 4th of October. I don't doubt it, but I read through every email I receive before I erase it, including the spam, so this one just plain got lost in transit. Lesson learned anew. Holding off a due query helps no one.

How long did it take to get an answer to your query? I'm about to query about a query. Talk about feeling rejected

oh, and btw: Analog is showing movement on DT after a long hiatus from sending out Rs

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
How long did it take to get an answer to your query? I'm about to query about a query. Talk about feeling rejected
I queried two markets recently, Crossed Genres and Lamplight. Crossed answered within a day, and Lamplight simply sent my rejection notice after a two weeks wait.

Last edited:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Did I miss something? Nine has shut its doors! :(

They cite too many subs as one of the contributing factors.

Maybe some of these newer markets need to just limit their submission windows to give themselves a chance. Or limit subs to 1 per 6 months. They have my sympathy.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
0-day R from Chrome Baby (new market). It was just a silly piece that I decided to throw at them, 'cause you know, what the heck.

Did I miss something? Nine has shut its doors! :(

They cite too many subs as one of the contributing factors.

Maybe some of these newer markets need to just limit their submission windows to give themselves a chance. Or limit subs to 1 per 6 months. They have my sympathy.
Oh yeah, I mentioned that in the other thread.

That seems to be the issue with a lot of markets, too many subs. Either they drown in them or wind up with slow response times. Doesn't seem to click in their head that they don't have to continuously be open to submission. You know, take a break here or there or grab more readers.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
That seems to be the issue with a lot of markets, too many subs. Either they drown in them or wind up with slow response times. Doesn't seem to click in their head that they don't have to continuously be open to submission. You know, take a break here or there or grab more readers.
Reading their statement, it seems more like a loss of love for the business rather than simply a time issue.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Reading their statement, it seems more like a loss of love for the business rather than simply a time issue.
I took as it they just couldn't keep up, since they say:
The slush pile grew, and in conversations that started as private then moved slowly to the editing table, we realized that between the three of us, there was no longer enough steam to keep this ship moving.
Obviously a loss of love played a part; if they really wanted to keep going, they would've grabbed some extra readers or worked something out. Shame, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. A shame, too. I wasn't wild about their pay approach, but it was a nice mag while it lasted.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
216 day R from the L1terarian. It was a one line rejection. I don't mind a long wait but that was a bit miff-inducing considering they ignored my query two month ago.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
216 day R from the L1terarian. It was a one line rejection. I don't mind a long wait but that was a bit miff-inducing considering they ignored my query two month ago.

Sorry to hear that. One line, after 216 days and a two month old query. I think I'd not feel much like bothering with them again.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd not feel much like bothering with them again.

My thought exactly. Sorry for the miff-inducing R, Project Deadlight.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
17-day personal rejection from Untied Shoelaces. My story unfortunately went against one of their stated preferences, so nope (should have read their submissions guide again before sending it in. Oh well).

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I got an untied sl one too. They always make me smile. Got to love that guy...

On the downside I just realised that every single novel query (of 30) had a typo in. Including the two that got full requests. I must have read it 1000 times and still it got through. Aghh!

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
I got an untied R as well.

Not bad, but I have yet to read a second person point of view story that I could get into. One time, once, I got like half way into a second person point of view story, but that healed up pretty nicely.

I love it! It made me smile, it was much nicer than I expected from this market (having heard bits and pieces) and now I know never to sub anything in second person to them again.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
And a 21 day 4 from Strange Horizons. At least it made it past readers. The R was form, however.

First R for the story, going to shoot it off to somewhere else.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got the "Cr0wdid" results. I'm glad two of you made it, but what a long time for nothing. No one even commented on my story, or else there's still a flaw in the system.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Finally got the "Cr0wdid" results. I'm glad two of you made it, but what a long time for nothing. No one even commented on my story, or else there's still a flaw in the system.
Ditto. Unless you count: "Thanks for your interest in Cr0wded Magazine." --lol!

Whatever happened to the 2 readers they were going to have?

Apparently only 10 people looked at my story. Meh. Next time I'll submit flash.