The Wardrobe

Clueless

Going on a mental vacation.
Registered
Reaction score
I always wished that I would have a great adventure. One of those where I learned something new about myself as I vanquished my foes. With swords. I was obsessed with learning how to use a sword.

Clueless

Going on a mental vacation.
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound rather ridiculous...

But as a child, my mom would tell me that the brain could do anything. Like if you can convince it strong enough, it can do anything you wish it to.

So...I tried to convince my brain that I should have wings XD. I would stand in front of a mirror and tried to picture having wings as strongly as I could.

...unfortunately, no results. Sigh. lol

I remember as a kid I argued with my mom about the possibility of having wings. It started off as a simple question that grew until it consumed 3 years of my life as I tried to find an answer. I even created a theory based on Darwin's theory of evolution. My mom indulged me just enough to keep my attention on the subject.

This is the same woman who convinced me that I was a mutant that was growing a third ear.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
What a wonderful thread to resurrect.

A unicorn. I wanted a unicorn more than anything in the world. I used to go to sleep every night and pray that when I woke up there would be a unicorn on the foot of my bed waiting for me. And every morning I woke up hoping and hoping it would be there.

I recently had a dream that I flew to a special magic land and there was a unicorn and it was the Best. Dream. Ever. It's so silly to say that, but you have no idea how much just seeing that unicorn filled my whole heart with joy.

chrysalnix

Registered
Reaction score
I tried knocking on trees after the branch had been cut away from it, leaving an oval shaped "doorway" to somewhere awesome. No one ever answered the door.

Alternate worlds were always a big thing with me. When I used to go swimming, one side of the pool would be a normal place, but then I'd swim to the opposite side and it was a magical place. If we'd actually owned a pool, I'd have probably ended up at the Olympics one day from so many otherworld travels.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
What a wonderful thread to resurrect.

A unicorn. I wanted a unicorn more than anything in the world. I used to go to sleep every night and pray that when I woke up there would be a unicorn on the foot of my bed waiting for me. And every morning I woke up hoping and hoping it would be there.

I recently had a dream that I flew to a special magic land and there was a unicorn and it was the Best. Dream. Ever. It's so silly to say that, but you have no idea how much just seeing that unicorn filled my whole heart with joy.

We Unicorns do that, you know. :heart:

Nightingale

Registered
Reaction score
Goonies was my favorite movie as a kid so I always wished for some incredible adventure, full of mystery and danger. Everytime it rained I created some kind of treasure map to follow through my neighborhood LOL!

hingraham

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hollyi.com
I wanted to wish my way to Mars like John Carter. (Edger Rice Burroughs)

YESSSSS!!! I'm not the only one! (This is always one of the joys of the Internet, finding out you're not alone.)

Still love the Barsoomian books. Didn't go near the movie, like so many. They seemed to get it half right, alas, which is worse than so wrong you can consider the names an eerie coincidence.

Patrick.K

Registered
Reaction score
I always wanted too be in a medieval era, where magic ran rampant and the forests where infested by demons and I would be part some sort of crusade as a paladin fighting evil for my country and going on glorified quests.

First book i read was on my own was Oath Bound Wizard by Christopher Stasheff I preferred more of magical knight over a wizard though haha

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i used to munch on my grandmothers gaillardias. the petals were the same color and shape as corn candy, so i figured they must taste the same. of course they didn't but that didn't stop me from sampling and spitting. blanket flower is the one flower i refuse to grow because i know how nasty it tastes--s6

Working Spy

Reading is my eye candy!
Registered
Reaction score
Little kid dreamin'

I rode my bike to all the huge (well, to a 6 year old) homes being built along the lake and dreamed of designing my own. Of course that took money - even I knew that - so, of course there was a Fairy God Mother with buckets of the stuff...too pragmatic? Story of my life.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have been thinking about childhood portals since I stumbled across this thread. Something weird happened to me the summer between sixth and seventh grade. Actually, that's not quite right. Nothing really happened but whatever didn't happen, it scared the hell out of me.

I was with another girl, a classmate named Rita. We lived in a small town, Great Bend, Kansas. I lived on 26th street. Rita lived a few blocks to the west. At the time Great Bend had a population of maybe ten thousand. It was an oilfield town and there were strangers passing through town looking for work.

My grandmother lived on the east side of town, on Frey Street. Rita and I used to ride our bikes in the morning, often over to Frey Street. This particular morning we were late getting home. It was about ten a.m. and starting to get hot. We decided to find some shade and rest.

We were headed north, riding on a dirt road that was more or less parallel to the highway overpass. This road was bordered by open fields on the right, a few houses were in sight on the left. There was an arrowhead shaped grove of trees in a field, a little ways from the dirt road. When I say grove, i mean about ten to twelve trees, well spaced.

I don't know what kind of trees they were but they were all the same. I didn't know the names of many trees then. They were not very tall, the trunks were slender. I could easily have circled one with my hands. The trees were planted like someone would rack billiard balls. The first tree pointed north, then there were two trees, then three. Like that. Lots of grass between the trees, lots of space, no rusted out cars or junk.

We parked our bikes and settled under a tree. I think we said something about chiggers but not much else because we were winded. And then I had the shudders, just all over cold and trembly.

I thought I was sick from the heat but then I had the impression someone was staring, glaring at me, right between my shoulder blades. I was an imaginative kid ( I read a lot of Bradbury. )and kind of sensitive about it, so I was looking around for a reasonable explanation. I had just decided that there was no one in the grove when Rita jumped up and said "Let's get out of here! Someone is watching us!"

We ran our bikes to the road and tore out for the houses. All the way I could feel a rushing just behind me. I was really frightened. I felt like something dark was following us. Maybe a man. I was too frightened to stop and look but when I tried to look over my shoulder i couldn't see anyone. We stopped at a friend's sister's house first. I remember pounding on the door in a panic but no one was home. And no one was behind us.

We went around the block to my grandmother's house but didn't go in. By then we were embarrassed to be so frightened of nothing. We sat behind her chicken house for a while and talked it out. I thought someone, maybe a hobo, had been running just behind us on the road. Rita said, no, whatever it was, had been over us all the way to Frey street. We rode home through the center of town. We even dodged the trees in the city park.

Of course we used to tell it at slumber parties and it always got bigger and scarier--wings and teeth and the ghost of a demented hobo. We didn't stay friends once we got to high school but we did talk about it once in high school. We decided that no real person could have been in that grove because we would have seen him.

The grove of trees was there until the eighties. I told my daughters the story but not the exact spot because I didn't want them to explore. I always thought about walking through it with my camera but my feet failed me. Then one day it was knocked down. After a while I decided that it was all imagination but when my mother died we were cleaning closets and I found a diary from that summer. The story was there, in bare bones. So something did happen. Although nothing happened.--s6

Last edited:

Patrick.K

Registered
Reaction score
Wow that story sent shivers of my spine reading at 3 a.m. in the morning good way too get me thinking my cats someone in my house o_O

gswillis04

Gonna finish it. Really. Tomorrow.
Registered
Reaction score
Portals. Those wonderful portals.

Narnia and Middle Earth. I always wanted to visit those places and many others I found later. Even in my 20s I wanted to go there. I wanted adventure! I wanted to be the hero! Alas, while I read those books over and over as a kid, wishing to travel to those lands, I stayed the scared little nerd boy surrounded by drooling, brutish rednecks in the deep south.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister--I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal of my own.
You mean...you don't still look...? The moth ball fumes I've inhaled over the years...

LGwenn--I wanted to talk to animals. And then I was going to go live with them far far away from my crazy family.
I wanted to be able to talk to animals too. I did talk to them. They seemed like they were listening...

I also spent a lot of time trying to perfect the nose wiggle, sadly without success, and would rub any lampish type object, but my wishes haven't yet been granted. (Genie features has a backlog, maybe? I'm trying to be patient.)

I didn't exactly look for hobbits, but hobbit houses. In case the hobbits needed a housesitter while they were off having adventures. How cool would a round door be...

Btw, the flat I moved into recently has very high ceilings and plenty of room in the lounge to park a Tardis, so if anyone has any contacts...

spikywriter

Registered
Reaction score
As children our escape was to imagine ourselves as orphans. Overbearing parents much?

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
As children our escape was to imagine ourselves as orphans. Overbearing parents much?

LOL, yikes.

I hope you learned later how lucky you are to have them. :)

As for me, I wished so badly to have an adventure like the first post mentioned. I'm still wishing to fly and see the world. Our Earth can be as fantastic as any fantasy story. This wish of mine is really reflected in my fantasy writing. :)

Petros

Registered
Reaction score
The house I grew up in was very small, and my bedroom was barely bigger than a closet. It was a loud, chaotic house, for various reasons, and I always wanted a quiet space. Call me antisocial, but my biggest wish was to have a whole big island just for myself.

EChavez

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted a thatched roof cottage in the middle of an English forest. Fairies, babbling brook..the works. I have not outgrown this. Not one smidgen.

This.

Also, I wanted a magic cupboard where I could make my toy figures come alive, like in The Indian and the Cupboard. I wanted a tiny horse that I could hold in the palm of my hand. I still do, actually.

JBClemmens

Patient Seahorse
Registered
Reaction score
If I forgot to say it before, Welcome EChavez. One time I saw a small pig embedded in the rug fabric in an upstairs bedroom. I don't know if it was real or just my medication. It made me think of Indian in the Cupboard, though.

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get my Hogwarts letter at eleven. I didn't turn out to be a mutant during puberty. I didn't find out I was the Avatar when I was sixteen.

So help me, if Gandalf doesn't come to take me on an adventure when I'm fifty, I will be very cross indeed.