Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there. I believe the agent you're waiting to hear from is at a romance writer's conference in Florida at the moment. She'll probably be back to "business" next week. Good luck!

THanks, yeah I know about the conference, and the marathon. Busy, busy, busy. :)

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
Hi, I'm Lucia and I'm a newbie here :) Currently working on my first YA novel and looking forward to getting to know you all!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Got two rejections for one novel and then one request for a partial. Keeping fingers crossed.

Also got an acceptance for an e-novel (YA) but undecided whether to go with this publisher or not. I'll think about it. In the meantime, on with the newest, They call me Master Fantastic. Up to sixty pages (to be revised, of course) and once I reach 125 or so (single-spaced) then the hard part begins.

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
Thank you for the welcome :)
Good luck with the partial J.S.F! As for the e-novel, I wouldn't commit unless I was sure about going with the publisher so do take some time to think!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
@ J.S.F - congrats on the partial and the e-pub if it all checks out and you decide to take it!

@Lucia - nice to see you :hi:

Me - I'm still waiting to hear back from the agent ;)

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck on the agent search all. I kind of gave up on the agent scene this fall and have just been subbing to publishers. Got my first contract last month in a genre I never thought I'd write. I still like hanging out with the YA crowd though.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck on the agent search all. I kind of gave up on the agent scene this fall and have just been subbing to publishers. Got my first contract last month in a genre I never thought I'd write. I still like hanging out with the YA crowd though.

What genre? Just curious... :)

woodtop255

Heather Topham Wood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorheather.wordpress.com
It is so hard to be patient and wait to hear back. I just want my book out there now. I know some agents don't respond to queries with a form letter if they're not interested. But what about agents who request partials or fulls? Do most of them normally let you know either way?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience and to my knowledge the querying process goes a little something like this:

At the query level, any of the following may happen:

A) No response means no
B) A form rejection
C) A request for a partial or a full (and perhaps a synopsis)
D) Perhaps a personalized note with the rejection (though this is incredibly rare)

With a request for a partial:

A) Form rejection
B) Personalized rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes
D) Request for more pages (and maybe a synop)
E) Request for a full (and maybe a synop)

With a request for a full:

A) Form rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes about what did or did not work for them
D) Personalized rejection with an R&R (re-write and re-submit and which could still result in a rejection afterwards)
E) An email asking to have a phone conversation which may or may not result in an offer of representation (at this point)

I think that's about it. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, but I think this is a general guideline of the process.

HTH :)

Oh, and welcome :D

woodtop255

Heather Topham Wood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorheather.wordpress.com
In my experience and to my knowledge the querying process goes a little something like this:

At the query level, any of the following may happen:

A) No response means no
B) A form rejection
C) A request for a partial or a full (and perhaps a synopsis)
D) Perhaps a personalized note with the rejection (though this is incredibly rare)

With a request for a partial:

A) Form rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes
D) Request for more pages (and maybe a synop)
E) Request for a full (and maybe a synop)

With a request for a full:

A) Form rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes about what did or did not work for them
D) Personalized rejection with an R&R (re-write and re-submit and which could still result in a rejection afterwards)
E) An email asking to have a phone conversation which may or may not result in an offer of representation (at this point)

I think that's about it. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, but I think this is a general guideline of the process.

HTH :)

Oh, and welcome :D

Thanks and very helpful! BTW, I love your quote about falling on your face is still moving forward.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
^^ Aww, thanks :) It is a great quote (as is the man who said :D)

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Yellow, it's paranormal erotica. Never expected to write it, but it seems I have a knack for it.

Heya Mel! Hope you're doing well.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Em :) Congrats on all you have going on. Funny how your niche sort of found you rather than the other way around, hey?

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
So very true. It's the hubby's fault. He dared me to try writing it again. I wrote two shorts in December, once of which I had to learn more about, so I kept writing. Over 50,000 words written in 6 days and a month later, I had a contract.

Hoping I can pull it off again with my newest piece. How was the move? (I think it happened...sorry if I'm a bit flaky).

Boy Wonder

in the Batlibrary of the Batcave
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. Just popping in as a relatively new member though I've been lurking a long while :)

I've gone through the thread and already found helpful insight! So thanks for that :D

I've not attempted to publish anything but I'm still hoping to connect with people dabbling in the same stuff.

Congrats to those who have gotten a contract(s) and good luck to those still waiting for word!

Awkward first post in this thread over ~

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Glad to see a new face here. Hope you explore YA-SYW and the other share your work threads when you reach 50 posts. This is a great place for feedback.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote randomish scenes in Taylor-made today. By "randomish" I mean that they aren't in novel order, but they were all thematically non-random. My poor android boy is haunted by the memories of the personality that was programmed into his body before he was. I've been having lots of fun writing those memories, and I had some inspiration this week, so I took out a notebook (usually I type when going straight through the novel) and jumped ahead to a series of those memories. What was nice about that is that the memories will be split up, but that section of memories happens to be a straight plot line, so it was nice to follow it without breaking it up yet.

Then in the shower, I had a brainstorm about when my MC meets up with the girl from those memories, so I wrote that down too.

On Saturday I wrote 10K. Today I wrote far less (10 hand-written pages). But I'm way more excited about today's writing than Saturday's.

Status
Not open for further replies.