Victoria Foyt's novel coming under fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't feel I can characterize this book one way or another without reading it. But I don't think I could stomach it. It sounds really awful! and the samples are prose are dull.

scottken

Registered
Reaction score

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I think the only way VF is going to end this anytime soon is to come out and address the issues, publicly, and not with a friendly media contact.

She especially needs to address the issues PoC presented and she dismissed. I don't think a simple..."I made a mistake," is going to put her back in good graces with readers or her fellow authors.

I don't think this is going away anytime soon...

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I think a author response would just light a fire under it even more.
if done at the right time, which would be about now.

everyone who posted here sure their not victims of a viral campaign?

either way, I aint gonna post on this anymore. :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
If it's a viral campaign, it's not a very good one. Contrary to what some marketing people think, there is such a thing as bad publicity. Having your name attached to a story that will probably sink a once-respected magazine isn't going to help with any but the Aryan-Nations Racial Holy War crowd. There are too many professional writers who are genre giants saying 'Wotthehell?' about this.

I indulged my curiosity and read the first chapter online soon after I heard about it. I was not impressed. Less so, after I read a summary of the rest of the book. If not for the RaceFail issues, it would probably have sunk without a ripple into the millions of other questionable self-pub works. The book is developing a gravity well far stronger than it deserves.

Foyt has guts, I'll give her that. She's not backing down. It's a real pity that her connections, money, and marketing aren't attached to a better book.
Although I'm not attending WorldCon, I know a few folks who are. Be certain this is a major topic for discussion.

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Guts? Guts?

To me, guts would be to step up to the plate and admit fail. To me, her sense of entitlement prevents her from admitting she failed.

And this book fails on so many levels...

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Let's confine comments to discussion of the book and not the author, please.

Also, I agree with veinglory that further comment from the author would only stoke the fire. Not only is Author's Big Mistake at play in that situation but, more importantly, a book must be able to speak for itself. If it can't, no apology, no explanation made after publication will do anything for it. The work must stand or fall on its own.

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Ari, I understand what you are saying, but in this case, I am not sure you can separate the author from the book because of the authors comments are especially relevant in this forum.

Still, I will respect our AW rule and try to keep it about the book...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have had people make various claims about my book that I disagreed about (albeit on a much smaller scale). My approach was to respect they opinion but not engage with it.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
So call me crazy but I requested a copy from Netgalley.

Planning on doing a compare/contrast between this book and another reverse racial book. I think the other one is called Crosses and Naughts but the title might be reversed.

rosiroo

Chasing the flow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
So call me crazy but I requested a copy from Netgalley.

Planning on doing a compare/contrast between this book and another reverse racial book. I think the other one is called Crosses and Naughts but the title might be reversed.

That sounds an interesting read. Good luck with the reading ;)

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Enough with the shitty personal insults, people. It doesn't belong here, and you damned well know better.

So knock it off.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Apologies. For those who are curious, I saw on Amazon that the sequel's come out. Haven't heard anything about it though.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Apologies. For those who are curious, I saw on Amazon that the sequel's come out. Haven't heard anything about it though.

It's on pre-order, so not actually out. I'm sure some people will blog about it, but unless it fails in new and special ways, there's not a whole lot that hasn't already be said.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious whether, and to what extent, all the negative publicity she got might have made her write this second in the series in some way differently.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
It's on pre-order, so not actually out. I'm sure some people will blog about it, but unless it fails in new and special ways, there's not a whole lot that hasn't already be said.

Good to know, thanks for the info!

@Blarg- I somehow doubt it.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Because doing black people wasn't enough this new book has to include Magical Aztec tribe with a magical plant that magically survived.

First words: "Oh no you didn't" Does that mean the third installment will include a slangy Asian of nondescript ethnicity?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15842524-adapting-eden

Also, her boyfriend is still the "Beastly man" making him the "Beastly man she loves" somehow is supposed to make it better???

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Because doing black people wasn't enough this new book has to include Magical Aztec tribe with a magical plant that magically survived.

First words: "Oh no you didn't" Does that mean the third installment will include a slangy Asian of nondescript ethnicity?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15842524-adapting-eden

Also, her boyfriend is still the "Beastly man" making him the "Beastly man she loves" somehow is supposed to make it better???

You're kidding, right? I can't believe the first words are, "Oh no you didn't." That'd just be...wildly...

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
You're kidding, right? I can't believe the first words are, "Oh no you didn't." That'd just be...wildly...
*My* first words were Oh no you didn't.

Sorry, but I thought she'd learn *something* but she makes it abundantly clear in the blurb that she didn't. So this new book will center around Aztecs... *sighs* and "Beastly" black boyfriend.

LJ Hall

For I am a Rain Dog too
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I thought she'd learn *something* but she makes it abundantly clear in the blurb that she didn't. So this new book will center around Aztecs... *sighs* and "Beastly" black boyfriend.

The Aztecs were in the first book, too. I haven't read it, but there's some schadenfreude to be had in reading some of the lengthy, detailed criticisms of it that're out there.

I'm trying not to attack the author here, but her personal views ARE relevant when she's made so many statements about this series and the viewpoints that she's taken. So without attacking her personally, I'll just say that it's very very clear from her statements that she simply doesn't think that she's done anything wrong. At all. She's not going to fix anything if she doesn't believe it's broke, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.