The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Oh, boy!

T42 said:
Dear Mr. McDermott,
Please do not address us in such a tone. Apparently you did not receive our email of 2/4/2005. We will resend it now, and we would be interested in your reaction.

Thank You,

PublishAmerica Author Support

That reminds me of one of PA's most prevalent lies. Either they didn't receive your e-mail - or you didn't get theirs. I can't TELL you the number of times they insisted that they didn't get e-mails I sent them. It's absolutely laughable.

Either they have the worst e-mail system in the world - or they're big liars. Wanna guess which it is????? :idea:

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
If JK Rowling (Harry Potter) had gone with PA would she have only sold 50 copies????
One of the most profound questions I've seen on the PA board in a long, long time. I would bet my last $100 the answer to this is "yes."

On another note, if anyone is really bored and interested in seeing PA's paperwork for when they originally filed their LLLP, check out here http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/ucc-charter/CharterSearch_f.asp and put in "Publish America" in the first search box. The results are sloooooowwwwww but you can see .pdfs of all the paperwork, including the name of their lawyer, and if you search hard enough you can also see Meiners' signature. Anyone here adept at handwriting analysis?

lucyishome

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
realitychuck said:
I've been thinking that Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's stages of dying are appropriate:

1. Denial ("No, it can't be. PA is a traditional press.")

2. Anger ("Those bastards lied to me!")

3. Bargaining ("Please, Larry, can I have my book back?")

4. Depression. ("I'm an idiot for getting scammed.")

5. Acceptance. ("On to my next book.")

I know I felt this way. Thank-goodness I can laugh about it now.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Oh yeah for those of you keeping up...I am still waiting on those nude Vin Diesel pictures..:Lecture: I mean if Sherry can mention a snake and get one in email..well why the heck can't I mention Vin Diesel and get him in email? Hum? Ok, I expect those picture(s) by dark, or your apology by tomorrow.

:hat:

Sorry, I had to say it and give you kind folks an update, I know some of you were wanting that just alittle bit more than others. :Clap:

lucyishome

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Renee Bagley said:
Oh yeah for those of you keeping up...I am still waiting on those nude Vin Diesel pictures..:Lecture: I mean if Sherry can mention a snake and get one in email..well why the heck can't I mention Vin Diesel and get him in email? Hum? Ok, I expect those picture(s) by dark, or your apology by tomorrow.

:hat:

Sorry, I had to say it and give you kind folks an update, I know some of you were wanting that just alittle bit more than others. :Clap:

Sorry Renee I have been such a slacker. I will get those to you asap. Now if I can just remember where the heck I put them.

:Shrug:

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
lucyishome said:
Sorry Renee I have been such a slacker. I will get those to you asap. Now if I can just remember where the heck I put them.

:Shrug:

Go, go go! LOL... *waits patiently* :flag:

:Thumbs: Too funny.

I'm uh just in a hurry for them, well because I am in search of an original avitar..yeah uh-huh!

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
"Anyone here adept at handwriting analysis?"

Yea..would say alot if Meiner's handwriting disappears when held up to a mirror. You know vampires... they can just suck the life out of something, can't they?:cry:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
From the PA board:
PA books are premium books because you will sign all your copies. Readers can come on here and see the authors on the message boards. They can link with your web site to contact you personally.
Compare this to buying a cheap paperback with no personal contact with an author.

PA has also allowed you to use the cover art for merchandising. Many give away free bookmarks etc with their books.

Where is this author getting this (mis)information? I've bought signed copies from authors of cheap paperbacks. Also, I interact all the time on-line with authors whose books come out in cheap paperback editions (and in hardback editions as well). It depends on the genre, but many many romance authors have web sites. Many SF and fantasy authors are on-line as well, interacting with readers -- some are even on these boards. :)

Many of these authors with those cheap paperback editions also get to use their cover art on their web sites, for bookmarks, etc. Many don't bother because they know it's not worth the money they spend on it, and they'd rather spend their time and energy writing books. But then again, they know their books will probably be on the shelves, and they won't have to do anything to get them there except write books people want to read.

Price is a factor. I've often left a book on the shelf because it was too bloody expensive. If it's something I really want, I might pay more, but only if the edition is really really nice. In other words, I won't pay a premium for a PA book, but I'll pay more for a nice book by a legitimate small press, such as Meisha Merlin.

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
"...and if you search hard enough you can also see Meiners' signature. Anyone here adept at handwriting analysis?"

We don't need an analysist to tell us he's a jerk, scum bag, scam artist, yellow bellied sap sucker... the list could go on and on. Of course this is only my opinion and my opinion alone.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
What?

Savannah Blue said:
"...and if you search hard enough you can also see Meiners' signature. Anyone here adept at handwriting analysis?"

We don't need an analysist to tell us he's a jerk, scum bag, scam artist, yellow bellied sap sucker... the list could go on and on. Of course this is only my opinion and my opinion alone.

Now Sara, if you would only tell us what you really think!!!! :tongue
LOL!!!

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, Nancy

NancyMehl said:
Now Sara, if you would only tell us what you really think!!!! :tongue
LOL!!!

I'm just going to have to get over being so shy and spit it out one of these days.

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
I have proof from amazon that this is not my doing in case someone is interested.

Removed message as it's moot now. Anyway, it was about something we aren't speaking of right now...

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
More delusions...

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/7898.htm

All the way at the bottom, Michellet says...

it's the publisher's job to publish.

a publisher should HAVE to edit a book, but they can certainly request an author do some editing and make suggestions.

though I thought that the big guys sometimes rename a book, make certain changes, etc. to make it what they consider marketable.

We have the opportunity to have our books, if accepted, sell as they are. So you're right, it is OUR responsibility as writers to write a good book that needs minimal edits

Well, at least she got part of it right. I like how she spins it though - you have the "opportunity" to have your books published, I mean printed, I mean published, as is.

Hmmm. yeah. I guess that's one way of looking at it.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Amazon Slammer is back..

underthecity said:
The Amazon slammer's on a rampage.

I looked at HBM's book Crispy on Amazon, and his book is getting hit hard. Not just from travis tea, but a variety of different aliases. Nobody deserves this, I don't care who published it.

This has gotten out of hand, y'all. If someone knows something, speak up.
Who knows, one of us could be next.

EDIT: I just realized Jaws mentioned a couple pages back about not drawing attention to this. Umm, should I delete this post or let it stay?

utc

You are so right, no one deserves the treatment that I just saw on HB's book. That is so ridiculous to "hit" a person, any person, in that way.

I do not know who is doing it, but whoever you are (yeah you)- you are a petty little person. PA needs to go down (out of freakin' business, period, there I said it), but there is absolutely no point or integrity in giving someone a poor review just because they published with PublishAnything. Get a life! Write a book! Maybe you should use your vendetta to actually take down the one who is hurting the authors, that would be PA, duh!

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I think not drawing attention to this is best for now, so I agree with Jaws.

I also am of the opinion that some of what's taking place is expressly for the purpose of casting doubt within others of our motives for facing down PA. Some folks will remember that it was once believed that I was responsible for the slamming until I made the point that I sign my name whether it's a good or bad review and that I rarely review anything.

Even when I asked for information from Title Wave Management just the other day, I used my real name. Not my fault that they didn't recognize it. I guess they'll have to blame that on PA since PA deletes my name and P&E whenever those are mentioned in their forum.

Personally, as I stated recently, I think that reviews are useful only when when those come from someone whose name or position is recognizable to the public. Otherwise, it's a nice gesture, but it's really a waste of time. Besides, if your name or review doesn't help the other person's book make more sales, do you want that author thinking you didn't say something positive enough?

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Renee Bagley said:
\I mean if Sherry can mention a snake and get one in email..well why the heck can't I mention Vin Diesel and get him in email?
We can send snakes in e-mail now? Guess I haven't kept up with advancing technology. Hmm...idea for next project...

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
reph said:
We can send snakes in e-mail now? Guess I haven't kept up with advancing technology. Hmm...idea for next project...

Yes snakes have been arriving via email. Not a real one, of course, but full of spite none-the-less. Heck LucyIsHome had my hopes all up when she sent me a message here, privately, titled Vin Diesel. I thought holy crap, there is a God.:hooray: LOL..

Your next project it can't be about snakes, so perhaps it should be about the project I was speaking of..lmfao...ok ya'll I should stop wasting space on this particular thread re:Vin.
:wag:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Naked Pix

Renee Bagley said:
Yes snakes have been arriving via email. Not a real one, of course, but full of spite none-the-less. Heck LucyIsHome had my hopes all up when she sent me a message here, privately, titled Vin Diesel. I thought holy crap, there is a God.:hooray: LOL..

Your next project it can't be about snakes, so perhaps it should be about the project I was speaking of..lmfao...ok ya'll I should stop wasting space on this particular thread re:Vin.
:wag:

Yeah, where are the naked pix? I've had a really sucky day. I hate snakes, I hate my job, I hate lawyers (sorry, Jaws), I hate PA, I hate my... Well, I'd better quit while I'm ahead. I could use a diversion, you know what I mean?

Is it just me, or does the PA-related crap get deeper every day? It seems as though something new rears its ugly head every day any more. This Amazon Slammer nonsense is really wearing on people. I don't know who it is, but I wish he or she would just STOP already. It's breeding suspicion and distrust, wearing down morale, and just generally making people cranky. To the Slimy Amazon Slammer: Take a Midol, get drunk -- hell, smoke some crack if it will help you chill. Just stop with the idiocy. You're not helping your own cause, whatever that may be.
:Huh:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Folks, the more attention you pay this newest slammer, the more motivated he/she/it will be to continue. By giving recognition to this being, and revealing that you're upset or angry with what it's doing, you're giving it exactly what it wants. Ignore it, or combat it behind the scenes. Don't feed the energy monster.

- Victoria

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Let's focus our attention on fanstory.com...

....where it appears that all mention of PA, including the highly touted partnership and any PA related threads have been removed. I'm sure if I'm wrong that someone will tell me :Shrug: , but it sure looks that way.

And...

Mr. America
Interesting. I want to know what you had to say.:idea:
Then email me and I will telleth you....

love-smiley-024.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.