The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with The Uninvited? It's a zine for the iPad and all those mobile devices. They've had a story of mine for 64 days now, sent an inquiry yesterday to poke 'em. Haven't heard back as of yet.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Good news.
But the difference in style between the new incarnation's cover and the former one's is well, stunning... and not in a good way.

Looks like a box art of some 3rd rate video game :(

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Has anyone ever submitted anything to The Postcard Press?
Nope, but they look like fun :) And even though they're non-paying, it doesn't look like they accept everything sent their way, either.

New crime mag, run by Jeremiah Tolbert and Nick Mamatas: The Big Click. Currently closed to subs, but they'll be paying $100 a story.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
New crime mag, run by Jeremiah Tolbert and Nick Mamatas: The Big Click. Currently closed to subs, but they'll be paying $100 a story.
Awesome, thanks for sharing. :) Looks like I might have something up their alley. *waits for them to open submission doors*

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about AE? I've had a story there forever, and their website is either down or dead. Duotrope says something about 'may be declared dead', if I'm reading things correctly. Sigh.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'd bear with them for a wee bit yet. Perhaps their ISP is having server issues. Acceptances have been reported on duotrope as recently as 26 Feb, which would appear to indicate they're still up and running.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Izz! Hope they're still alive ... I had a story at Weird Tales when it went (temporarily) under a couple of months ago, and I was waiting and waiting to hear something, not realizing it was never going to happen. Lol - don't want to do that again.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With all the interest in western stuff around here lately, I saw this today and thought someone might be interested. Anyone subbing to either of them? Apparently the western one opened for subs in November, but I don't remember hearing about it.
THE EDGE OF SUNDOWN
An Original Anthology of Western Horror Stories
And then also from the same group, not Western obviously:
STEAMPUNK CTHULHU (working title)
Both are found here: http://www.freewebs.com/brian_sammons/editorwork.htm

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone remember who wrote the were-octopus story? Because that's one of the anthologies she's putting together - were-aquatic creatures.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone remember who wrote the were-octopus story? Because that's one of the anthologies she's putting together - were-aquatic creatures.
That was Victoria. Haven't seen her on lately.

ETA: Twitter n00b, but what URL does she want you to email with?

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Had to make a Twitter account--I truly dislike most of these social networking things--but at least it's for a cause.

I am not making a twitter account.

Not for any money.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Show me the fake and I'll decide :D

It has to be a really good one.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
One of the anthos is about coins--does that help? I think they're all semi-pro paying. I'll find out more and see if I'm interested, if not, oh well.

Update: So one of the requirements it seems for the antho call is that you need an author site: "Author websites need three things at a minimum: Your name, what you have had published, how to contact you. Clear, concise, professional." Also, you need one publication that actually paid you.

I think I'm out, haha. I've been meaning to buy a domain and make an author site, but haven't done it yet.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a market, per se, but an editor (Jennifer Brozek, who seems to have good credentials) posted a tweet just a few minutes ago looking for authors interested in writing dark spec fic stories.

https://twitter.com/#!/jenniferbrozek/status/179248510196125696

Thank you so much for sharing that, Michael! I'm traveling and would have certainly missed it otherwise, even though I follow her on Twitter. Because I saw your post, I contacted Jennifer and snagged the very last invite for the coins anthology.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
One of the anthos is about coins--does that help? I think they're all semi-pro paying. I'll find out more and see if I'm interested, if not, oh well.

Update: So one of the requirements it seems for the antho call is that you need an author site: "Author websites need three things at a minimum: Your name, what you have had published, how to contact you. Clear, concise, professional." Also, you need one publication that actually paid you.

I think I'm out, haha. I've been meaning to buy a domain and make an author site, but haven't done it yet.

I just use my blog. Fortunately I had the foresight to get one under agcarpenter.blogspot.com in the midst of the others I doodled around with. (I even had one called Pencil Vomit that was for my artwork.)

The blog, apparently, was enough. And my small, but solid publication credits. I got an invite for the were-steampunk antho. ('Cause, really, what else would I be interested in?)

Aggy, kind of excited