• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Times New Roman vs. Courier New

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times but I can't find the answer I am looking for by using the search option. So, I have always used Times New Roman, but I was wonder which is preferred the most when writing a novel? Sorry for inconvience, I appreciate the help.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
When writing a novel, use whatever you're comfortable with. When submitting a novel, follow publisher guidelines. Take a look at the Manuscript formatting threads stickied to the top of the Writing Novels forum for more details.

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I found it in place you suggested. That answered all of the questions I had about formatting.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed to agents in Courier New. My agent subbed it to editors in Ariel. My editor changed it to TNR.

Never once was the font mentioned--people just changed it to what they liked.

So basically, no one really cares, in my experience.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Same as Shady - subbed in Courier New and the editor just changed it to TNR.

Go with whatever you're comfortable with. Change it if a submission guideline requests a particular font.

JJ

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that TNR is generally favored for fiction and Courier for screenplays. I prefer TNR myself.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
The majority of the places I looked said to use Courier. Apparently, it is easier to read. I have run into my share of those who want TNR. By all means, use what the agent asks for. If no guidance is provided, I'd go with one of the two mentioned above. Using courier will give you an accurate word count if you are using the 250 words/page. You get a much different number with TNR.

Danthia

Either works. I prefer Times myself, as I feel it's easier on the eyes.

ejket

Noobus Perpetuus
Registered
Reaction score
I think Courier New is way too light for hard copies---I don't understand its appeal except maybe for drafts (easy on ink/toner).

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with Courier. Naturally, you should follow any specific guidelines that a publisher provides.

Do not use Courier New if you can find a darker Courier. I know that a lot of style sheets will say to use "Courier New," but I doubt that anybody means this to be taken literally. Courier New just happens to be the version of Courier that everybody has on Windows computers.

There are also these versions, which look essentially the same but are darker than the anemic Courier New:

Courier10 BT
Courier MM Screenwriter
Courier Std
Courier Final Draft
Dark Courier

And if you convert a document containing Courier New to a PDF, it usually gets converted to Courier (Type 1), which is very slightly darker than Courier New.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Write in whatever is most comfortable to you. Submit in the font the agent/publisher specifies, if they specify; if they do not, go with either Courier or TNR, whichever you like best.

I both write and submit in TNR, and agent and publisher have been AOK with it.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I think Courier New is way too light for hard copies---I don't understand its appeal except maybe for drafts (easy on ink/toner).

I like Dark Courier when mailing out a story or ms. But you have to be careful when subbing via email. If the pub doesn't have that font, what you send might look a bit screwy at their end.

ejket

Noobus Perpetuus
Registered
Reaction score
I like Dark Courier when mailing out a story or ms. But you have to be careful when subbing via email. If the pub doesn't have that font, what you send might look a bit screwy at their end.
Yes, that's important to keep in mind.

BTW, digging around further, I discovered that Final Draft Courier is also a free download. I have to admit that I like it better than Dark Courier... check it out :)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Write in whatever is most comfortable to you. Submit in the font the agent/publisher specifies, if they specify; if they do not, go with either Courier or TNR, whichever you like best.

I both write and submit in TNR, and agent and publisher have been AOK with it.
Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.