fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Linds

Can't Touch This, Stop, Query Time!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I am so so excited about this show. The first series was amazing - funny and smart and so full of awesome. I wish I knew when it is coming out...

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
I nearly did something incredibly messy in my knickers when I first saw this trailer.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I was shocked to see that the first episode of Korra has been released. I found Korra to be a strong main character, including physical strength and fitness. When she kicks some ass it comes as no surprise. There are some other intriguing characters too, so this seems promising. My only complaint is that the villain seems boring so far.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Yesterday I was shocked to see that the first episode of Korra has been released.

*BLINK*

Wha?!?!?

I heard that they would release it in May. There's a website that is linked to Facebook, if they get 100,000 likes and shares, they'd release the first episode a week early...

Unless I read that wrong. At which point, must to library I go to watch episode!

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
Only watched one or two episodes of the first series, since I never really got into the setting, but this one... This one looks good. I'll probably watch it online

The part where she does water-bending, the word in the background is , which is kindness, charity, etc. It's interesting, because you would expect them to put the word for water. Instead, they give personalities to the elements. It's not new, but I like the director's call on this.

Directly after that water-bending scene, we see the lady kicking ass all over the place with fire. The juxtaposition between the two, kindness and violence, leads me to think that they might be exploring using force in the name of "good" and the moral ambiguity of it. They'll probably extend it to the political arena since she's fighting a few authority figures in some shots.

The animation is really smooth and the backgrounds are gorgeous. Was there large scale battle scenes in the previous avatar? I hope this one will have all-out war since it'll look incredible with the effort the artists put into painting the scenery.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, OMG, OMG.

A girl Avatar with elemental powers! Airships! Creepy new world order!

Looks at steampunk story in sigline.

OMG, OMG, OMG.

This could be really, really good timing.

:snoopy:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Directly after that water-bending scene, we see the lady kicking ass all over the place with fire. The juxtaposition between the two, kindness and violence, leads me to think that they might be exploring using force in the name of "good" and the moral ambiguity of it. They'll probably extend it to the political arena since she's fighting a few authority figures in some shots.
Yes, the teachers did say that she lacked restraint, and then she destroyed things in the city. Maybe the bad guy will provoke her to destroy some more stuff, thus giving benders a bad reputation. Maybe she will even hurt someone and then feel a lot of guilt afterwards, like a character in one of my books, hi hi.

The animation is really smooth and the backgrounds are gorgeous. Was there large scale battle scenes in the previous avatar? I hope this one will have all-out war since it'll look incredible with the effort the artists put into painting the scenery.
Yes, it gorgeous. I especially like how Korra has a very physcal presence. She's like a teenager who has just grown some muscles, but hasn't completely learned to control them yet. And yes, there were a couple of huge battles in the previous series.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
The animation is pretty good and I like the character design, but I don't know if I'm impressed with the writing.

I like the direction the story is taking, but I'm not seeing much originality with the characters yet, or the dialogue. I'm hoping they make good on what they said about taking a more mature turn with the show. To tell the truth, I kind of wish it had gotten picked up by Adult Swim, rather than Nick.

I'm also kind of wondering about the steampunk angle. Where would the British influence have come from? And I hope they don't follow in the footsteps of X-Men. The premise has the potential to seem a bit washed out, considering all the X-Men movies/series' that have been spawned in the past decade.

Someone else said the villains seemed boring. I agree. The AtLA team has always spawned some pretty boring villains, sans Zuko and Azula. They like making the bosses super evil, which will probably be the low point of the show. I'm hoping they also veer away from making a romance present too soon. I'd rather see Korra single for a while.

I'm glad they aren't relying too heavily on The Legend of Aang. I just wish they'd tried to break their character molds a bit with the brothers. I'm seeing too much Zuko/Aang there. Tenzin being super serious is a nice surprise, though. And not hooking up the kids of the original gang, or even having them be best friends, is interesting.

Last edited:

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
I. Cannot. Wait. I watched the entire Avatar series over one weekend, and went back and rewatched most of it during the week.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
There's nothing imaginary about the four elements my friend, they've just changed terminology to the four states of matter--solid, liquid, gasses, and okay not matter, but energy.
I think the word you want is "plasma". But, no, the four (or five, or whatever, depending upon the culture involved) elements are not good descriptions of the classical states of matter. That had to wait for people to gradually develop real science.

The series actually does sound interesting. I'll have to check it out. (Though lately I've become reluctant to risk another time commitment; I find myself perversely hoping a new thing won't be too interesting. Sad.)

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the 2 episodes on KorraNation over the weekend and I'm still squealing and flailing.

I think I may love this show more than its predecessor. The story seems a lot less straightforward Hero's Journey-ish and as a protagonist Korra appeals to me more than Aang. Plus seriously, how many action-adventure kids' shows not aimed at only girls have nonwhite female protagonists? Not gonna lie, I'd love Korra for that alone.

Liz_cm

New, but ready and revving to go
Registered
Reaction score
Saw both episodes and I'm excited for the series. This is going to be great, and I do agree with Bickazer with the female protagonist being none-white.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Omigosh I am SO freaking excited for this show. (Definitely a nice change from the crappy depressed week I've been having.)

Sadly, I can't get the site with the first two episodes to work. :cry: WHY DO YOU HATE ME, LIFE????

...ah, well. Eventually, I will be able to see them.

...I hate waiting. This looks too epic to do anything so mundane as *wait* for it, goshnabit!

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I like this show for dabbling in the philosophies of martial arts, so I was happy about the airbending training session from episode 2.

I'm a little worried that they're going to use the professional bending tournaments as little more than an excuse to pump each episode full of action. Seems like lazy writing. :p

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I dont know if you guys already know but The first two episodes are on iTunes for FREEEEEE!!! Just watched them and i cant geek out enough right now!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Holy, holy, holy - stuff got real fast! How on earth did Amon learn to strip bending? (Also, great way to turn the previous series' least liked aspect into something awesome this time around.)

*dances and flails with all the fangirl feels*