• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Boroughs Publishing Group

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Has anyone had any experience with these guys? They're an epub.

http://boroughspublishinggroup.com/

The website looks nice. I like the covers. They seem to have a quick turn around time for submissions.

The only buzz I've heard about them is Chris Keesler, formerly of Dorchester, is working for them -- but I don't know enough about him/her to know if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

Anyone?

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Hi!

I've had interactions with them and will have an interview up with them in a few weeks. So far, my interactions with them have been pleasant and enthusiastic. I also received an email from them about Chris Kessler. I think that's quite a coup. My personal opinion, of course. If I hadn't just sold a story to Champagne Book Group, I would submit to them (all the normal warnings aside to give them two years).

ETA: Sorry, I should have posted the blog. It's not up yet but I can come back her and let you know when it is: http://www.SeeJanePublish.wordpress.com

I thought the website looked nice.

Again, all surface stuff. I'm sure others will deal with the business stuff. :-D

Cassie Knight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
The only buzz I've heard about them is Chris Keesler, formerly of Dorchester, is working for them -- but I don't know enough about him/her to know if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

Anyone?

Sorry, I just saw you asked about Chris being a good or bad thing. In my opinion, very good. He used to work for Dorchester but I don't think that should be counted against him (unless others know more that I certainly don't). He's a strong proponent of romance, has been a dedicated final judge for contests and quite a nice guy. I would have LOVED to have him as my editor.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Thanks Cassie. I just heard from one of my RWA friends that "Chris hung in there when everyone else left Dorchester. And I don't think he had anything to do with the business decisions that hurt them."

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I love their website. Looks very professional, in my opinion. Their books covers look very professional as well.

One thing I'm currently a bit worried about when looking at their website is that there's no mention of their staff anywhere (by the way, if I'm missing the link to their staff page or something, let me know). On the About Us page there's some random info, but nothing on who exactly works for them. Since they seem to be new, it's possible that they just haven't uploaded the info yet, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

But if I were submitting to them, I would wait until I was sure who was working for them, and what their experience is.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Just heard about these guys and that Chris K. had joined them. That makes me think they me be a start up to watch, but I wish their About Us page actually gave background on whoever is running the show.

Cassie Knight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Interview on Boroughs Publishing

Hi!

I'm past time in posting this; however, I have an interview on Boroughs Publishing at www.SeeJanePublish.wordpress.com

This is a good chance to learn a bit more about them.

And while you are there, you might want to check out other interviews on other publishing houses such as Crimson Romance, Musa Publishing, Lyrical Press, Soul Mate Publishing and more. I have Champagne Book Group, eTreasures and more coming.

Hope the interview helps. I know when I have another book ready, I'm going to submit to Chris. I'd love to work with him as my editor and Boroughs looks great (yes, new, I know all the warnings).

Best,

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Thanks for the link & interview, Cassie.

One question you may know the answer to. Is Chris the owner of the company or just the head of editorial? The mentions him being "at the helm" but I wasn't sure if it was overall or with regard to content & acquisitions.

Cassie Knight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
He's their Editor-in-Chief and responsible for all editorial content. That's what they meant when they said he's at the helm.

(I know this 'cause they emailed me. :-D)

Hope that helps.

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
He's their Editor-in-Chief and responsible for all editorial content. That's what they meant when they said he's at the helm.

(I know this 'cause they emailed me. :-D)

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot, thanks.

If you're in touch again could you ask that their "About Us" actually tell authors a bit on the "Us" behind the company? T
he fact that they've hired Chris says a lot, but I know of another start up some time back who also hired a former large house editor then ended up abruptly going out of business after many setbacks, delays and "computer crashes" over the course of a couple years.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
I love their website. Looks very professional, in my opinion. Their books covers look very professional as well.

One thing I'm currently a bit worried about when looking at their website is that there's no mention of their staff anywhere (by the way, if I'm missing the link to their staff page or something, let me know). On the About Us page there's some random info, but nothing on who exactly works for them. Since they seem to be new, it's possible that they just haven't uploaded the info yet, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

But if I were submitting to them, I would wait until I was sure who was working for them, and what their experience is.

Found this link which mentions another staff member. Not sure how up-to-date-but she's an attorney with experience in editing and publishing(as an author).

https://gust.com/c/boroughs_publishing_group

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
24 hrs after using the online submission form, I received what looks to be a personal email (since my name was used in the body) stating they look forward to getting back to me soon.

Also, I read online that they are based in LA.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
24 hrs after using the online submission form, I received what looks to be a personal email (since my name was used in the body) stating they look forward to getting back to me soon.

I get a surprising amount of spam with my name in these days, so it's no longer an indicator, sadly.

Susiemax777

Creativity Rocks, try it!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Hi all
I'm new to the forum but I can tell you a little bit about Boroughs Publishing Group. Chris is the Editor in Chief, Jill Limber is an Acquiring Editor and also one of their authors and the other person in the management side of the business is a lady called Michelle Klayman, who is herself an author, editor and lawyer. Hope this helps

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Hi all
I'm new to the forum but I can tell you a little bit about Boroughs Publishing Group. Chris is the Editor in Chief, Jill Limber is an Acquiring Editor and also one of their authors and the other person in the management side of the business is a lady called Michelle Klayman, who is herself an author, editor and lawyer. Hope this helps

Thanks Susie! Have you had any experience subbing to this pub?

sharla

What's up??
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharlalovelace.com
Our RWA WF chapter has been getting some spam email from them about setting up pitch sessions at RWA National. They should know better than to do unsolicited promo to an RWA list. Not cool.

Susiemax777

Creativity Rocks, try it!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Boroughs Publishing

Hi guys
I have experience with this publisher. I've got a contract with them recently for my 3 romance novels which will be due out towards end of year hopefully. I have to say both Chris and Jill have been absolutely wonderful. As a first time author they have guided me every step of the way and helped. So I might be a bit biased but I think it's the start of something good!

jamidavenport

Romance Author living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamidavenport.com
I have recently accepted an offer from them. I don't have the contract yet, but I'm very excited to be associated with this new publisher. I think they're very selective and heading in the right direction.