The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Lisa Maliga said:
Hello folks,
In my quest to get my book's rights returned to me, I sent them a letter via certified mail on April 7th. [It was received 4/11/05 by Jessica Lewis] I wrote:

As for your request, in the spirit of the conditions described in the amendment that you received, we hereby grant you permission to make your book available free of charge as you have requested.

Thank you,
Author Support Team
[email protected]
And I sent them this:
I have not signed an amendment, nor did I sign the agreement that was sent to me back in March.

The only thing I will sign is a full release of my book's rights back to me, the rightful owner.

My book will be available on my site, and through thousands of online links. So your unsavory company will not profit one iota from my book.
Does anyone have any comments/opinions about this matter?
Thanks!
:welcome: Hi Lisa, It's good to have you here. I was also sent an amendment contract and did not sign it. I sent them a letter stating pretty much the same thing and got the "we grant you" speech. It used to be "Don't Take That Tone With US" and "You Will Apologize". For some reason they are taking a different Tone and it could be that we pointed that out so much on this board. My concerns are that they have some how amended my contract themselves without my knowledge because they act like I did sign it. They are suddenly "granting permission" as stated in contract. Bull Crap! I don't need their permission and if they have changed my contract then they are looking at a heavy lawsuit. Glad to see your spunk. You and I will get a long good:)

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Oh! Was one of them a shiny-domed Dutch gnome? I had some fever dreams last night and I'm pretty sure I saw that motley crew. :roll:
Little Missy, I'm glad to see your feeling better. I missed you yesterday! I didn't miss yesterday, could have done without yesterday, but I missed you:)

MsRasputina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.insomniaville.com
James D. Macdonald said:
In that same book, the town of Itoman (a place on Okinawa important to the action -- the book is a nonfiction account of the WWII Battle of Okinawa) was consistently spelled AUTOIMMUNE (yes, all caps). How did that happen if it wasn't through editing by spellchecker?

Forgive me for butting in, but I just had to delurk for a sec ... was the book actually printed and sold like that!? That's horrible.

As long as I'm here, anybody wanna be on a reality show for authors?

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8800.htm

(Check out the bookmillionaire.com link in the first post.)

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I was playing the Dungeon Siege II preview build last night (computer game), and I came upon something called an invocation circle (or incantation circle, or something like that). Anyway, the description of it was something like, "This invocation circle resonates with harmonic <something-or-other>," and my first thought was of PA. I don't think I'll ever be able to see that word again without thinking of PA.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
That is quite probably the dullest sounding reality show I've ever heard. I would not make gripping viewing.

"HE'S SITTING ON HIS *** POSTING ON FORUMS INSTEAD OF DOING THE WRITING HE SPENT THE WHOLE DAY SWEARING TO DO! NO, WAIT....HE'S LOADING UP WORD...LOADING....LOADING AND-OH THE EXCITEMENT!"
"Jeremy, if you look at the clock, you'll see-"
"We'll be back after he's finished watching Dead Like Me. Folks, we're sorry. We didn't think this through. So sorry. Really. Great commercials coming right up."

SeanDSchaffer

MsRasputina said:
Forgive me for butting in, but I just had to delurk for a sec ... was the book actually printed and sold like that!? That's horrible.

As long as I'm here, anybody wanna be on a reality show for authors?

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8800.htm

(Check out the bookmillionaire.com link in the first post.)

Howdy, MsRasputina, it's nice to meet you. Welcome to AW. I hope you enjoy the site.

And I can assure you that PA prints and sells stuff like that all the time. Go to Amazon.com and check out the cover for Wyverinia Chronicles sometime. That's my PA book. Ugh, that cover is awful -- and I drew the darned thing myself! I never realized it would look that bad in print.

I'm sure PA realized that, though; they just didn't give a flip, and that's one reason I don't like that publisher too much.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
Gratian Gasparri said:
They don't know better. This happened to several of my friends who are better writers than I am. In fact, I would be more than happy to recommend their work to my publisher. Unfortunately, their work is tied up with PA for the next seven years. Which is why I, despite not being as good a writer, have sold more copies of my books than PA's top author.

Sadly, this is one of those big myths promoted by PA. Editors don't take the cookie cutter approach to manuscripts, rather they tailor it so that you are presentable to an audience. In other words, they make it the best darn book possible.

Among the published authors on this board, I'm the low person on the totem pole. I just signed a contract with a four figure advance (six if you count the two figures after the decimal point). Has PA paid you a sufficient advance to cover the postage necessary to send them a signed copy of the contract?

In short, if your book is as good as you claim, then you should be giving it the chance it deserves. This can only come from a commercial publisher.

PER THE MODERATORS

This thread is not about ME. So any questions or concerns about ME and MY BOOK need to be addressed to ME in PM.

In answer to your question about PA...they didn't say anything to me about cookie cutter books or convince me to go with them by any manner.

I sent my manuscript...they accepted it. There were no sales tactics used to persuade me to join PA.

Lastly I have 3 novels that PA does not have and in the process of writing #4 and #4, could you please refer me to your publisher?

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Little Missy, I'm glad to see your feeling better. I missed you yesterday! I didn't miss yesterday, could have done without yesterday, but I missed you:)
Thank you, Mem. Feelin' much better thanks to all the virtual stuff y'all sent out yesterday. I'm not subjecting myself to a repeat of yesterday, though -- that would be too, too much punishment.:ROFL:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Richard said:
That is quite probably the dullest sounding reality show I've ever heard. I would not make gripping viewing.

"HE'S SITTING ON HIS *** POSTING ON FORUMS INSTEAD OF DOING THE WRITING HE SPENT THE WHOLE DAY SWEARING TO DO! NO, WAIT....HE'S LOADING UP WORD...LOADING....LOADING AND-OH THE EXCITEMENT!"
"Jeremy, if you look at the clock, you'll see-"
"We'll be back after he's finished watching Dead Like Me. Folks, we're sorry. We didn't think this through. So sorry. Really. Great commercials coming right up."
So, where are they holding auditions? :roll:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Yesterday!

I have to get this off my chest because yesterday exhausted me! I think it is great to invite Pa authors over to talk about their viewpoints and to listen to what they have to say but to allow it to go on all day and evening and for all of us too feed into it was sick. Even though it was suggested by other members to let it go we all kept feeding into this persons game. Myself included. I was under attach in her very first post and I had to put up with that at Pa and do not want that in a thread in which I am supposed to be safe from harassment. Pa let their authors bash me for a week before they banned me and guess who's post were always deleted. When I saw that happening last night, I was upset. I had to listen to and put up with all that garbage before I found this place and I make a point not to go to the Pa threads very much for the same reason. It’s the same ridiculous stuff. These people are going to defend PA until they have gotten a belly full and to allow them to come to a thread at AW and do this is not right in my opinion. Let them state an opinion and then move on. By allowing what happened yesterday, we are inviting harassment from every Pa author that wants to come over and do this. (Don’t think this whole thing wasn't being watched) This thread is supposed to be about changing what is happening at PA or closing it down. I know some people are not out to close PA down but I am if they are not willing to change and I don’t see that happening. If they close down I am no worse off then my book sitting with them for seven years. Personally, I think the IRS will do it for us.

SeanDSchaffer

gena140 said:
I never referred to anyone as Superfriends so why am I being quoted in this post?

Gena, I wouldn't take it too harshly. Misunderstandings like that always pop up on the Net. It's just the way things work in the public domain.

For whomever else wants to know, I believe the individual who made the 'Superfriends' remark was a gentleman on the PA boards by the name of SCHarrison. I could be mistaken on that, but I did read that quote on the PA boards and I'm pretty darned sure that quote was not Gena's.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Sher2 said:
So, where are they holding auditions? :roll:

this only shows how desparate they are for reality shows...

unless it's going to be like NaNoWriMo where they have to produce something in a month... now that might be interesting if only for the nervous breakdowns that are gonna happen on camera...

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Randomly, check the other links on that Book Millionaire site. I smell rats. With up-sell products on hand.

This is quite amusing though:

You and others will complete a series of tasks which pertain to book promotion and living the lifestyle of a best selling author. You will not need to have your own book finished for the filming. Rather, we will use prominent company products and currently published books for the tasks.

*cough* SHILL *cough*

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
SeanDSchaffer said:
Gena, I wouldn't take it too harshly. Misunderstandings like that always pop up on the Net. It's just the way things work in the public domain.

Sean, I'm sorry but why are we still bringing up her post? Yesterday was enough. Haven't we given her enough time? If she wants to talk about why Pa doesn't work for their authors then I would be willing to talk but please...enough is enough...

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Richard said:
Randomly, check the other links on that Book Millionaire site. I smell rats. With up-sell products on hand.

This is quite amusing though:
*cough* SHILL *cough*

Richard, good catch. I found this tidbit to be particularly interesting:

Q: Do I have to have a book already written or published? Or can I have just a book idea?

A: All applicants will be considered for the show regardless if their books are written, partially written or still an idea. We are looking for a person who desires to be America's next Book Millionaire and best selling author. This means the book may or may not be written yet nor would it need to be written before filming of the show.

Uh, huh. If the book isn't finished, how do they even know the author can finish a book? Also, a lot of the pages were the same. Looks like they're just trying this "interesting marketing concept" to get people sucked into their services.

Susan G.​

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

MsRasputina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.insomniaville.com
I love how they're talking about airing in Fall 2005 when they haven't 1. picked anyone yet, 2. lined up any sponsors, or 3. even gotten a deal with any networks, if I'm reading the FAQ correctly.

The Three Stooges are probably thinking " :Smack: -- why didn't *we* think of this one?"

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
gena140 said:
I never referred to anyone as Superfriends so why am I being quoted in this post?

Er, instead of making three or four different posts at one time, I tend to try and make one post covering various topics. My response to the quoted section was the first part of that post (before the Superfriends comments, and the bit about free books, which also had nothing to do with you, btw). Sorry to have confused you...

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
Mem, I hear what you are saying, and I sympathize with your aggravation.

But I think it is important that this thread remains open to those who hold a differing opinion. I too would rather that everyone here come and present their opinions in a rational and mature manner, but we both know that is not going to happen. There are trolls out there and they are always going to be out there, no matter what side of an issue you are on.

All we can do is present our argument and our proof and allow those who are reading to make up their own minds about the truth of the issue. People will create their own reputation and earn the respect that they deserve by the way that they conduct themselves online in public. This is the most popular thread on a public board on a popular site for the publishing industry -- it is by all accounts rather famous in and of itself -- and the actions of people here will be remembered for a long time by many in the industry, I suspect.

I will never feel as strongly as you do about PA Mem, because I was never a PA author and I am not in your shoes. That distance lets me take a more neutral tone at times. But make no mistake, I both understand and sympathize with the passion of the ex-PA authors and I admire those of you who are brave enough to come here and recant some of the things previously said.

Keep the faith, Mem. It is obvious that PA is not the company it was even six months ago. The efforts of those here have changed the manner in which PA conducts its business, to a certain extent. They are most certainly on the run, and they will either clean up their act, or they will go out. Our job, I think, is simply to keep educating people -- which will deprive PA of a portion of their next victims -- and will force one or the other result.

I wish you the best.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry, I needed to do that. Is it safe in here now? I woke up to about 15 pages of posts this morning, all reading about the same crap. It was like watching grass grow. We all stated our opinions (some of which is well informed and has lots of experience behind it) and yet the same thing over, and over and over...

I think alot of this could have been avoided if the person in question had started out by reading the "reasons we don't like PA" thread.

Now.... PA sucks. Why? Because they treat their authors like Purple Pony waste. In so many ways and on so many levels. The End.

I really need to get back and finish my rewrite - yes, I'm still working on it. But, on the upside, I'm down to the last ten pages and almost done. Then I can start on the new book.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Susan Gable said:
Uh, huh. If the book isn't finished, how do they even know the author can finish a book? Also, a lot of the pages were the same. Looks like they're just trying this "interesting marketing concept" to get people sucked into their services.

Susan G.
Yeah, BUT what IF....we could all be stars, we could be rich and famous, we could be on PA's front page, right next to Jamie who?:ROFL:

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Richard said:

Actually, I've often thought that a reality show about authors would be coming sooner than later. Although many authors may be dull people in what they do (sit around and write by themselves), the personality conflicts alone would probably drive ratings. Just think if you could get ten authors together in a room, all with different ideas of how things should work. Writers, by definition, have something to say...and many can be very opinionated (and stubborn).

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Jeff said:
Mem, I hear what you are saying, and I sympathize with your aggravation.
Jeff thank you and I don't mean to be upset with anyone here. In fact, I'm not upset with anyone here. I am just very passionate about my views on PA and I suppose it is because I allowed myself to be taken by them and it makes me very angry at myself sometimes. I just felt like I could have gone to the PA threads to hear all of that yesterday. Forgive my inpatients! Heck for that matter, forgive my writing...it stinks!:tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.