What script editing software do you use?

What screenwriting software do you use? (You can select more than one option)

• Total voters

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Blake died in 2009, leaving the software in a state of limbo as nobody is actively promoting it. I have my doubt about support & upgrades.

-cb

Arcana

Registered
Reaction score
Celt-x was free, which is a big plus for me, and really easy to learn and use. Before I downloaded it, I did a lot of 'industry' research and it was still pretty respectable.

Robert Elisberg

Novelist, screenwriter, and stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elisbergindustries.com
I've written the tech review column for the Writers Guild of America going back about 15 years at this point. Last year, I did a review of screenwriting software -- though it wasn't posted on the WGA website, but rather in my column for the Huffington Post. (The Writers Guild didn't want to be seen endorsing on piece of software over another.)

My preference is Movie Magic Screenwriter. To be clear, as I say in the article, both it and Final Draft -- the two Industry leading software -- are wonderful, and a lot is personal choice. But there are specific reasons that I prefer MMS. You can see the full article by clicking here.

One important point: unless you're working in the film and TV industry and need software that's compatible with others in the office, there's no real need to use something just because it's used in Hollywood. If something works for you, and it's free or cheap, then it's worth using. You can always just save the file as a PDF and send that out to people.

It's also my observation that most people will defend to the death the software they use, claiming it the best and a gift from God. But usually, they haven't used others.

Screenwriting

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
screenwritingexpo.com
Screenwriting Software: Best

Great poll. I find the results unsurprising as to Final Draft being the leader, but it is an interesting surprise that CeltX has overtaken Movie Magic Screenwriter.

I was the editor of Creative Screenwriting Magazine for five years, and I remember when Celtx came on the scene. How its use has grown!

I am doing a poll of my own -- not of screenwriting software , but of several other services screenwriters use (pitchfests, contests, books, consultants, etc.). I plan to publish the results in an e-book, which I will offer for sale. However, anyone who takes my survey gets a free copy. If you want to take the survey, go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/screenwritingratings

D-N-K

Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to try FD but couldn't afford it.

The price for a software such as FD is too high. I think it goes for about 180 dollars.

Celtx is a much better alternative. I wouldn't recommend to anyone paying so much money for FD when there is free software out there.