About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
After a year and a half since the topic opened to applications, and nearly two years since it was vacated.....

I'm in Prep for Radio Controlled Vehicles.

Wow what a change from the 60 items I wrote in the last Prep for that topic. I've only to write three articles before they decided if I'm to go to weeks 2 and 3 :)

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Congrats.

Yeah, they changed up prep a couple of years ago so that applicants wouldn't feel pressure to write a bunch of articles and instead focus on quality.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow and after passing stage one of Prep, I now notice the entire site interface has changed from ACME. Man, I KNEW that system, lol. Now to relearn another one.

JD Laukkonen

Registered
Reaction score
Wow and after passing stage one of Prep, I now notice the entire site interface has changed from ACME. Man, I KNEW that system, lol. Now to relearn another one.

Do they have you working in IDB for prep? We still have access to both ACME and IDB, or at least I do. I did prep last spring in ACME (IDB wasn't even an option until I got access to the live site after passing prep)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
yes I've no access to ACME, only the new IDB interface. Since they are going to phase out ACME they have me on the new system learning it instead.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I didn't even know they were going to phase out ACME. The new interface still has the guts of it in place. (Templates are the same.)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I heard at least.
Got the GI site built today. All the things on the list completed. Now to wait for feedback.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
The 15th is my final evaluation date.
I got to add three extra blog posts. I was having tons of fun with the GI site. Now to wait and see.

AlexieNichole

Registered
Reaction score
Wow long time to wait to hear back from them.... you would think they would want to fill positions sooner. I just applied a few days ago for a topic position on international adoption. Dont expect to hear from them soon.

Suzanne

JD Laukkonen

Registered
Reaction score
Wow long time to wait to hear back from them.... you would think they would want to fill positions sooner. I just applied a few days ago for a topic position on international adoption. Dont expect to hear from them soon.

Suzanne

The long waits are due to the way About's hiring process works. They wait until they have a number of applications for the same position and then put all of the applicants through prep at the same time.

If there aren't many qualified applicants for a given site, the wait can be really long. If there are a lot of qualified applicants, it won't. I only had to wait about a month before I heard back on my application.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Could any about.com active member post the list of the topics they are "actively seeking guides" for like was once done on this thread? I know that in the lounge area they typically post up the ones they are most wanting to fill soon. I'd appreciate it.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I haven't seen them make that type of post in quite a while. I think they are too busy with other changes to produce that list.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Could any about.com active member post the list of the topics they are "actively seeking guides" for like was once done on this thread? I know that in the lounge area they typically post up the ones they are most wanting to fill soon. I'd appreciate it.

Just to be clear, you know about their "Be A Guide" page, right?

http://guide.about.com/gdapplynow.htm

That simply lists open positions, not ones they are listing as a priority. So maybe not the same thing.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you know about their "Be A Guide" page, right?

http://guide.about.com/gdapplynow.htm

That simply lists open positions, not ones they are listing as a priority. So maybe not the same thing.

yes not the same thing.
Active guides see a list of ones that that are "top priority". I know this is a long thread but during the vast pages there were people who posted that from time to time, usually a list of 5-8 topics that they were actively seeking to fill.

Appreciate it though, just not the same thing;)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if the sale of the domain from the Times to IAC Interactive hasn't played a part in that.

I know that the user forums have been in a slow long-term decline.

JD Laukkonen

Registered
Reaction score
I'll make sure to pass on the list next time I see one, unless someone beats me to it. In the meantime, Neil (CEO of About.com) mentioned in an email today that they're actively looking for "experts" (we're not guides anymore) in over 200+ areas, and that they're really ramping up and streamlining that whole process.

The new page to check out for information on what they're looking for and how to apply is: http://experts.about.com/

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They seem to really be growing the list and trying to narrow down topics. In some cases, I think they might be too narrow, but that is up to applicants to decide.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I've a pay per article, up to a maximum per month and I have page view pay. I get whichever is greater of the two.

MichaelMJones

Registered
Reaction score
I see that About.com has opened up quite a few topics, some of which interest me. However, I can't find anything at all regarding their current pay rates. Does anyone have any insight into what they pay writers these days?

Thanks!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
See my post above. For actual amounts per article and per PV it will vary and if any of us tell you what we're making we violate the NDA :)

Status
Not open for further replies.