'Casting' your novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibou

Registered
Reaction score
Little island between America and mainland Europe.
I definitely cast, but like many have said, it has to be someone I don't know. There is no way I could cast famous people.
I have an idea in my head, say race/hair colour/age, and then I have to find a picture that looks similar to what I'm envisaging. This can take some time!
When I write, the characters act out the scene in my head (much like a film), so I need to be able to visualise them. I often seek out visual representations of clothing, locations etc etc.
I find unless I have a face and a name (I can spend days looking for the right name), I cannot get them to act in my head. Personalities, mannerisms and voices come from this acting, so that isn't picture specific.
I work on Scrivener, so I have a character template complete with photo for each of my main players and a few of the minor.
I couldn't work any other way.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
As I write, a picture grows. Sometimes I come to visualize someone I know or an actor. Colin Farell with blue eyes for my (so far) favorite MC, Liam Neeson in a later book. However, I don't build my character accordingly. It works the other way around.

The men are always clear to me, the women not so much.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I rarely do it, but must admit that one of the main characters in my most recent draft just happens to look exactly like an actor named Tyler Hoechlin.

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I do that a lot. My current WIP's two leads look like David Tennant and Misha Collins.

Well, yeh. I could cast them in anything ... well, maybe not cement! But, I couldn't use them as characters in my work. Too limiting. But I do like your train of thought!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The only novel I've "cast" anyone in I cast with real people. Not people I know, just people I've seen: a motorcyclist getting pulled over by a cop in the parking lot of my gym; the kid who works the drive-thru at the chicken place I like.... that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.