• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Bunny boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I know it and probably would have used it, but I guess it depends whether you're using it ("she was a real bunny boiler") instead of demonstrating the character as a bunny boiler type ("she sat at his bedroom window for four days without eating, until he had no choice but to let her inside").

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i think too obscure, unless you're trying to capture the "Matlock" audience.....I'm closing ion on 40 and it was a film from high school, and I DO use the term occasionally, as old slang that I haven't completely left behind. Honestly, I probably have to explain it at least half the time, which would suggest it isn't doing its job any more :-(

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the responses, I think perhaps it's more common in the UK than the US? (Pretty common slang around here, even among the young 'uns who don't know where it comes from)

I think you're right; I'm familiar with it (though I only saw the film in recent years) and was a bit surprised to find that most responders to the OP hadn't come across the term before.

The lack of recognition of the term has surprised me too - I thought it was so entrenched in popular culture it had probably entered the OED *goes to look*

Yup, it's in there :D

I'd say not obscure then, but possibly a more common saying the UK than the US, from the look of it.

Poor bunny...

Mmmhmmm... *sob* still traumatised...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Can i use the term bunny boiler, as the narrator to describe an unseen character? Or is it too obscure or cliche pop reference?

Never heard the term in my life. I wouldn't know what it meant.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I got the reference instantly.

If it's used in dialog, that's fine, since dialog is privileged. The use of the term also defines the character. If a particular reader doesn't get the reference presumably there's enough else that the story still makes sense.

You don't need to write on a third-grade level. Detective novelists throw in underworld slang all the time and don't bother to footnote. Fantasy novelists put in occasional words in made-up languages and no one thinks the less of them.

(I saw the film when it was first released. (Optional trivia: It was filmed in the town where I grew up so I recognized all the locations.) When the cute little pet rabbit showed up and the little girl is wondering what to name it, I said to myself, "Better name it Hasenpfeffer, because that rabbit isn't going to live to see the final credits." I glanced at my watch and predicted when the rabbit would die, and I was right to the minute. To say that was a formulaic movie is doing it a kindness.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For those not familiar with the movie, a woman is stalking the married MC. The family comes home to find their pet rabbit, intact but deceased in a boiling pot of water on the stove.

Thecla

Imagine a story
Registered
Reaction score
Chiming in to say I'm another who gets the reference instantly but hasn't seen the film. Also UK, which supports the comments upthread that it's a more common turn of phrase here.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I'm so accustomed to seeing pop culture references in books that I don't understand that it wouldn't really bother me that much if I didn't get it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Never heard of it (US, though).

I initially read "bunny" as a mistake for "birdie." (Lion King reference. :D )

The Lion King was my first thought too. :) I know of the term, but I've never bothered to find out what it means. (I googled it now though, it means 'emotionally unstable female stalker' according to general consensus)

Consider this another vote for 'too obscure'.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't heard of it, but it sounds delicious. :D

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of it. Made me think of Zazu sitting on the birdie boiler in The Lion King. Or bunnies being cooked in a pot :(

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
For those not familiar with the movie, a woman is stalking the married MC. The family comes home to find their pet rabbit, intact but deceased in a boiling pot of water on the stove.

Ah. Now it makes sense. I was having trouble equating "female stalker" with "bunny boiler." It seemed the ultimate in non-sequitars.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never heard that phrase.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Looking at the responses, I think perhaps it's more common in the UK than the US? (Pretty common slang around here, even among the young 'uns who don't know where it comes from)

Yeah, references to boiling the bunnies are pretty common in my circle. Even among those who've never seen the movie.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also surprised that a lot of people aren't familiar with it. I'm in my mid-20's and have only seen a few minutes of Fatal Attraction, but I recognize it as a pop culture reference and know what it's referring to.

(I'm in the U.S., by the way.)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Interesting to see how many people aren't familiar with it. I thought it was very common. Not sure if I've ever seen the film all the way through but as it's part of pop culture, I've just picked up the meaning over time.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I know what a bunny boiler is and I've never seen Fatal Attraction. I always thought it was a phrase that had become common usage without having to know the source material.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

I was just about to say the same thing. I reckon the majority of folks here would know the term.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Brit here who was unfamiliar with it. Maybe it's due to my region (Scotland) or age (early twenties) though? I've never seen Fatal Attraction.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only bunny boiler I know anything about is the big pot I use every rabbit season. I have a bunny fryer, too.

It's use wouldn't bother me, though, because I assume it's a reference to the most famous boiled bunny out there, which is the one in Fatal Attraction, though I don't know why or how. If that isn't it, I'd get real confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.