The Un-Valentine's Day Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what to do with this. I have a poem that needs to be made funnier to submit it, or an idea for a novella that I could do a bit of for this. Thoughts?

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
I am seriously doubting if I can do this one. I tried, and ended up writing a short story about an abused woman who decides to blow her husband's brains out. Trying to put a humorous spin on that has proven somewhat . . . difficult.

make the entire thing a dream and then twist reality just a little.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Can't do this because of school, but I know exactly where I'd go with it...

The initials for Valentine's Day are VD.

jennarielly

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds fun! I think I'm gonna give it a shot! We shall see, I've never really tried humor before

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Mac, some rules claryfications...

What is the deadline?

Can we use previously published materials?

Ravenheart

Trying to figure it out.
Registered
Reaction score
I will be leaving for warmer weather on 2/11... without my laptop which is busted. Can I still email an entry but on 2/10? :flag:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe not. Been working on a short something, on and off. Got the idea from quickWit. He has no clue, btw. Picture the dancing bunneh being my muse on this one. Some things just should not see the light of day. . .

:D

My god. A story inspired by quickWit, written by kkbe...that will be one twisted tale...:D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't touched mine in about a week... Been editing my novel, which should be finished later today. So after that, I'll get back to polishing my contest short.

I'm glad I worked on it early after the contest was announced... Not sure I'd have the energy or time to really make it worthwhile now if I hadn't already got most of it done.

J.L. Duncan

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Is there a specific format we should use or a place that explains more about this contest?

Thanks ahead-

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
J.L., the very first post #1 in this thread, re: Mac, states~
YOUR mission, should you choose to accept it:

Write a poem or short story (less than 5K words) and email it to submissions (AT) absolutewrite.com before midnight, the night before Valentine's Day.

Your story should contain strong elements of humor, and should attempt to subvert, twist, parody, or otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes.
She also wrote:
Off-kilter, askew, black humor...it's all good. :)
I don't know if there are any kind of parameters relative to who can enter -- if it matters how long a person has been on AW, or how many postings a person has. Not sure of prizes or anything like that. I'm sure Mac'll pop in with a few more specifics. In the meantime, is there something else you wonder about?

Like, I was wondering if I was actually gonna enter this thing and God help me. . .

Last edited:

J.L. Duncan

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello-

Time is running out and I almost got something....

It's almost funny
Almost cute.
No lute-
Whew!

J.L. Duncan

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
J.L., the very first post #1 in this thread, re: Mac, states~
She also wrote:
I don't know if there are any kind of parameters relative to who can enter -- if it matters how long a person has been on AW, or how many postings a person has. Not sure of prizes or anything like that. I'm sure Mac'll pop in with a few more specifics. In the meantime, is there something else you wonder about?

Like, I was wondering if I was actually gonna enter this thing and God help me. . .

Thanks for the reply.
Just making an inquiry while navigating the site; I’m not totally foreign to forums, but it never hurts to ask for clarification.
Appreciate it!

J.L. Duncan

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Just making an inquiry while navigating the site; I’m not totally foreign to forums, but it never hurts to ask for clarification.
Appreciate it!

Edit: Why not? Who doesn't love to hate Valentine's?

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Feb. 11, 5:30ish a.m., which means calculating, calculating less than three days left before the Un-Valentine's Day Contest deadline.

(In case people were wondering. Which they probably weren't. Because they have calendars. :) )

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure where my story's going. :( might have to sit this one out. Booo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
With one thing and another cropping up lately, I still need to finalise mine.

Hopefully going to find time to edit it one more time today, then submit it. I keep forgetting about it because I haven't touched it in so long... Don't want to miss the submission deadline!

Status
Not open for further replies.