Grandma Susie's House of FUNNERS 'N FLOOZIES (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
She's a nice person and I don't think she was really mining for gifts (exactly), but it did sort of read that way to me.

She may be lovely, but that's really, really tacky.

"I don't love you enough to invite you to my wedding, but I figure you love me enough to pay for my honeymoon."

Meh.

And Susie, that is very hopeful news and may I join the throng of Hooray-for-Howie-ers.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Syd. I've been through a lot of similar things here lately; I know the feeling.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah we need a group hug and lots of chocolate.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
hey, guys. Much appreciation from howie 'n meh. You all rock. We were so scared and thankfully the operation is over. :e2grouphu :Cake:s! Many thx.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
AC, not sure if this is a problem with AW or what, but I just got a message on my computer while surfing AW and doing nothing else.

It was one of those, "This file by such-and-such company wants to make changes to your computer."

I'd never heard of the company, so I said no, but then I got a little balloon in the bottom-right taskbar bit saying there was a new Java update. So it might've been that... But it wasn't a company I had heard of.

So yeah, I thought I'd give you a heads up, in case it's some sort of malware or something on AW.

(I noticed it when I was in the You Took The Words thread, but it may have shown up earlier... On my Win7 laptop, half the time I'll just get a little icon at the bottom of the screen that flashes at me until I click it, leading to the "Install yes/no" thing.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're having an issue with something here at the moment (see Tech Help), but I don't think what you are experiencing is related.

Have you check for malware on your end?

I've made a note of your problem with the administrators.

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
(((((((((((Syd/Susie/Evvybody))))))))))

I've got chocolate kisses on top of the fridge(don't tell Taz).

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, Syd. We can't have this. ((hugs)))) best wishes for your father's recovery, and condolences on the death of one of your regulars. :Hug2:

AC, count me in on those who think your friend's request is tacky. No matter how things change, the more they stay the same, and being asked to fork over cash is bad taste.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
We're having an issue with something here at the moment (see Tech Help), but I don't think what you are experiencing is related.

Have you check for malware on your end?

I've made a note of your problem with the administrators.

I haven't checked recently, because I'm usually really careful about where I go online. May have to do a virus scan soon... It was probably just the Java update trying to install itself automatically...

I think the company name was Jacom or something... I should've written it down.

But yeah, that never usually happens. I might get a bubble pop-up on my taskbar telling me an update is available, but the programs don't try to install themselves automatically. Which is why I told it "No".

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! This is what I get for opening my big stupid mouth. So far I found out my dad is in the hospital, not responding well to oxygen treatments after a asthma attack and one of my favorite regulars died this morning.

Oh, no. :( I'm so sorry. Best wishes for your dad to get better posthaste! And I'm very sorry about your favorite regular. :(

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Wasn't there an international alert recently to disable Java on all computers now now now?

I would be very concerned about anything mentioning Java that was not a public service message on how to disable it.

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
Come to think of it, now that Cliff has mentioned it, I've been getting some weird prompt to update Java (it's already running the latest version). What the *&@!!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yea. Java = eek!

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...sable-java-unless-it-is-absolutely-necessary/

Even after Oracle fixed a serious security flaw in its Java software on Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security warned that the fix was not sufficient and urged users to disable Java on their Web browsers.

“Unless it is absolutely necessary to run Java in Web browsers, disable it,” the agency said in an updated alert on Monday. “This will help mitigate other Java vulnerabilities that may be discovered in the future.”

So anyone trying to get you to update Java IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! This is what I get for opening my big stupid mouth. So far I found out my dad is in the hospital, not responding well to oxygen treatments after a asthma attack and one of my favorite regulars died this morning.

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Lots of hugs and prayers, Syd.

(Hmmm.... Lots of afflictions on this thread. I hope it's not contagious.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very glad to be home where I can deal with this all with my slippers on. My dad is still in the hospital, but I don't think it is all that bad, or at least that is what I am telling myself. His bronchial tubes are swollen, and they are working on getting it down, and then he will be able to breathe right :D

Until then I will indulge in a cheesy nacho, iced frappuccino, and maybe some ice cream later on!!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hmm. Damn.

Well, I've uninstalled Java. I don't really use it for anything, and better safe than sorry.

Still need to do my virus scan, but I got sidetracked with editing.

Apparently there are some trojan viruses which appeared this week pretending to be Java upgrades. There are real official Oracle upgrades too, but as far as I know the homeland security warning is still in effect. The word is still don't use Java unless it's absolutely essential.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Hugs to everyone!

Sydney, I'm sorry about your customer and I'm praying for your dad!

Also, Susie, hoping everything goes ok with Howie's recovery as well.

I'm glad the Superbowl is over. I was trying to stay away from the internet as much as possible. Gah.

Status
Not open for further replies.