Literary agents outside of New York?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like the vast majority are in NY. Are there any decent ones in cities like Chicago?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you're worried about having an agent close to you - don't. Email's made distance pretty much a non-issue. Most agents are in NYC because that's where the big publishers are and it allows them to meet with editors in person.

Having said that, my agent's in California, and there's a great agency in Denver. The bigger concern is finding one who represents your sort of writing, and then finding the one of those who loves what you send them.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My agent is in Toronto and she's awesome. Most are in New York, but with the increased ease of cyber-communication, it's not as vital that everyone be up each other's noses all the time.

What is important is that the agent has established relationships with the editors and houses that are suitable for your work.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
My agent is in Toronto and she's awesome. Most are in New York, but with the increased ease of cyber-communication, it's not as vital that everyone be up each other's noses all the time.

What is important is that the agent has established relationships with the editors and houses that are suitable for your work.

Hey, I'm in Toronto. Who's your agent? I might know/know of her.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
You can run a search by state on querytracker.net

There are major angencies in San Diego, L.A, I'm in Seattle--as are Kristin and Bree, two other agents with my agency--Denver, Atlanta, Boston, etc, etc.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
QFT:

The agent's location shouldn't matter. Their contacts and track record are much more important.

That said, my agent is based in D.C. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.