Vatican official: No, WE'RE being persecuted!

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, the persecutors whining that they're not being allowed to persecute.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
If they were actually being persecuted (which they're not), it would prove the existence of Karma.

From the article:
Yeah, because an egalitarian, communal utopia would be such a terrible thing. The Catholic Church is just mad that the world has finally chosen to stop living in their medieval dystopia.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/12/1...rriage-equality-efforts-aim-for-a-gay-utopia/

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Karma--the great equalizer.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
So the Inquisition says it's... being... persecuted.

*head explodes*

QFT

Have people noticed how common a tactic it is for the oppressive and bullying to whine that any attempt to stop them oppressing and bullying others is oppression and bullying of them?

As if religious freedom only meant the freedom for them to hurt who they like, and if they are not allowed to then they are not free.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I always hate it when some religious groups (emphasis on some) are some comfortable being full of hate that they will claim that their stance on gays/single mothers/other religions is their religious beliefs and should be respected and their right to discriminate be protected.

Yeah...um...that's not cool. "Tolerance" should not extend to people who want to discrimante against others.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I always hate it when some religious groups (emphasis on some) are some comfortable being full of hate that they will claim that their stance on gays/single mothers/other religions is their religious beliefs and should be respected and their right to discriminate be protected.
They don't just expect their right to discriminate to be protected. They expect civil law to also discriminate based on their beliefs.

These articles don't make me angry, though. I enjoy watching the Catholic Church dig themselves deeper into obsolescence by dogmatically clinging to beliefs the modern world no longer supports. It's like listening to the Republicans, but with more funny hats.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If they were actually being persecuted (which they're not), it would prove the existence of Karma.

From the article:
Yeah, because an egalitarian, communal utopia would be such a terrible thing. The Catholic Church is just mad that the world has finally chosen to stop living in their medieval dystopia.
And so un-Christ-like, too (the bolded part).

Wait, uh...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy watching the Catholic Church dig themselves deeper into obsolescence by dogmatically clinging to beliefs the modern world no longer supports.

I can't say I enjoy watching this slow train-wreck, but it will be damn interesting to see how the Princes of the Church of Rome respond whenever Pope Irrelevant XVI goes away. JPII and his successor have packed the College of Cardinals with like-minds. The likelihood of any significant change of course seems pretty remote, but money does talk, even to an organization as hide-bound as the Vatican. I can't imagine they are seeing an increase in faithful followers.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the organization, someone's noticed something.
Just as I've noticed the ads on television for Catholics to 'come home' to the Church. Now, that's an act of desperation.
(The ads themselves, not the 'coming home', if you feel so inclined.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In an interview published on Saturday by Germany newspaper Die Welt, Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Mueller likened the sentiment directed at the Catholic Church to that of the persecution against Jews in Europe during World War II.

Absolutely f****** outrageous.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
What Müller said:

"Targeted discreditation campaigns against the Catholic Church in North America and also here in Europe have led to clerics in some areas being insulted in public. An artificially created fury is growing here which sometimes reminds one of a pogrom sentiment."
Not defending it at all, just clarifying.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Müller said:

That's not any better. Isn't that shit against the law in Germany? Or are the Chruch exempt from the consequences of attempting to diminish the Holocaust?

Anyway, fuck them. And may they the find peace in hell.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
What Müller said:

---

Good point on the clarification, but still, equating this 'persecution' to a "pogrom sentiment" really reeks of victim mentality and in my opinion, is the wrong comparison to draw.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I can't get the article to come up but I see a lot of personal judgment in the posts here. I agree with most of them, in principle, and can find little in history to indicate any degree of great (meaning 'good') leadership by the Catholic church. The world could easily do without most of their history.

On the other hand, as a religious organizaton in the US, they do have the right to believe in what they want to. As long as they don't cross the line to take control of civil action in a manner that amounts to persecution of anyone. (or break other laws)Lobbying, advertisement, etc are permissable.

I think, at least here, they do themselves more harm than good with the stance. That ain't such a bad thing in my opinion. There is a reason they are having to beg for Catholics to return and hope they can attract new believers.

We have the right to criticize them, and if that's what the article is about, then it is a whine. If it's about legal pressure to make them change, then their complaint is legit.

They are being persecuted when we try to control their beliefs and/or punish them if they don't come around. That's more than slightly unconstitutional in the US. I don't know about the constitutions in the rest of the world.

As in any other religion, members have the option to change the church from within or leave it if it doesn't serve their needs. It is not that the church has changed it's beliefs and controls the only gate to heaven. It is more that world and the membership have drifted (sped away) from their traditional doctorine.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah the catholic church. Lets us all step back and watch as they dig their way into becoming nothing more than a Brotherhood of Funny Hats.

...is what I'd like to say but I'm getting married in a few months, so I need to brace through several "talks" about how right they are and say "blessed is the Lord" after someone reads from the Bible. No, really.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
If someone wants to call me hateful and intolerant for campaining against prejudice and bigotry, then I'll wear their label with pride.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I think claiming persecution as a way of persecuting someone else goes back to blood libel, and further.