Deciding a genre..

Status
Not open for further replies.

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope this is in the right place!

I'm plotting a novel at the moment that effectively follows just a couple of characters from the backwoods - I'm sort of imagining American frontier - and their escape from baddies, journey through the wilderness, and eventual confrontation, etc.

Now - here's my query. Basically, because it's quite a personal, character-focused tale - it doesn't coincide with any historical events or people - is it historical fiction if I don't elaborate exactly when or where this story took place? Or is it just adventure fiction? Or is it fantasy, as I'd like to have quite modern-sounding dialogue? Because if it's going to be classified as fantasy anyway, I'm wondering about introducing some dangerous creatures or something to add some extra tension. But on the other hand, I'm not sure I want to do that :p

I'm basically envisioning a young adult Grapes of Wrath/Hunger Games/Winter's Bone/Huckleberry Finn sort of deal, if that helps (or even makes sense)..!

Any thoughts would be great :)

Elenma

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think you should write the book the way you want first and then worry about how to classify it later.

When it does come down to picking a genre, I would pick the one that fits the tone of the book the most. If the historical setting doesn't matter much to the plot and it's mostly about the adventure, call it an adventure novel. But if you do introduce more historical elements, call it historical or historical adventure maybe. I would probably only call it fantasy if it takes place in a made-up world or there are other obvious fantasy elements, such as magic, a clearly made-up world or creatures.

But like I said, I'd write it first and worry about the genre later. ;)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Genres are (mainly) marketing conventions. They're a way for people who haven't read your book to get a feel for whether they'll enjoy it or not.

Write your book first, then worry about what genre it may or may not fall into.

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose that makes things easier - thanks guys :)

I guess I'll see where the story takes me.. Feels like a bit of a wasted thread - apologies all!

Status
Not open for further replies.