• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

LiteraryMouse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joy,

Coming out of years of lurkdom to say I'm in the same boat as you. Ginger requested my full on May 7. Because she usually responds so quickly, under a month most of the time, and because I had been having e-mail problems, I contacted her assistant 6 weeks later to make sure they had received the manuscript.

Got a very kind response that no, they had not, and I re-sent. Had to re-send one more time before Ginger personally e-mailed me to tell me they had finally got it. Again, she was super nice and told me it'd probably be 3 weeks before she could get around to reading it.

After that, I never heard from her. I did check in a couple of months later and didn't get a reply, so being a writer, I assumed she must've really, REALLY hated my manuscript. I had visions of her turning the pages into paper airplanes, maybe burning it in a giant bonfire and roasting marshmallows over it.

But the less dramatic explanation is that she's totally swamped with work/life so manuscript-reading fell to the wayside. Also, she has a new assistant now so that probably didn't help matters either.

My long-winded point is that in all my interactions with Ginger, she's always been exceptionally kind and understanding. You've been waiting for a response for 6 months when she said she'd get back to you in under a month. E-mail her and ask for an update. If she really loves your manuscript, a nudge after so long isn't going to make her turn you down. If she says she's too busy to read it, then at least you'll have closure and can move on.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Thanks for coming out of lurkdom, Literary Mouse!

The only thing is that Knowlton didn't ever tell me it would only be one month. She asked for a one month exclusive, which I told her I couldn't grant. She said that would be all right, but never said how long she would be.

I know some agents take even longer than six months. I wouldn't even worry about it, except that I have this new manuscript now and would love to query LaPolla with it.

Thanks for your input!

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au
Thanks for coming out of lurkdom, Literary Mouse!

The only thing is that Knowlton didn't ever tell me it would only be one month. She asked for a one month exclusive, which I told her I couldn't grant. She said that would be all right, but never said how long she would be.

I know some agents take even longer than six months. I wouldn't even worry about it, except that I have this new manuscript now and would love to query LaPolla with it.

Thanks for your input!

JoyMC, I think you are giving Ms Knowlton too much reverence here to be honest. Six months is more than enough time to read requested material. I would query Ms LaPolla anyway - what have you got to lose? You aren't playing them off against one another.

Look after your own interests first. If you have a new ms that you think would be a great fit then GO FOR IT!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Popping in to say I agree with LiteraryMouse and MaraudingDon. I'd nudge Ms. Knowlton, see what she has to say, then query Ms. LaPolla if Ms. Knowlton isn't interested. I don't think it's a good idea to query another agent at the same agency until you have closure on the last project, but I do think you deserve an answer.

I never used to nudge, because I thought it made me look needy and desperate, but then I decided if you're polite and professional (which, I'm sure, you would be), nudging actually makes you look like a smart, savvy writer who's invested enough in her career to stay on top of her queries/submissions. Agents nudge editors all the time, so they're used to it. And any agent who isn't wouldn't be worth your time, anyway.

Just my two cents.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Exactly what Krista said. I've nudged several agents in the past few years and I've never had a negative response. This is your career, and there's nothing wrong with looking after it. Good luck!

TexasTraveler

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Maureen Walters? I sent her a partial in Nov., non exclusive, because I have other fulls and partials out. Like what is her response time? How long should you wait before nudging? Thanks anything would be helpful.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Jonathan Lyons has returned to Curtis Brown? I understand that he left in 2007 to form his own agency. On Curtis Brown's website, I now see that he is listed as an agent. Thanks.

O hAnnrachainn

Registered
Reaction score
His PM page has him at Curtis Brown so it looks like he's the prodigal son returned to the fold.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Jonathan Lyons has returned to Curtis Brown? I understand that he left in 2007 to form his own agency. On Curtis Brown's website, I now see that he is listed as an agent. Thanks.

His PM page has him at Curtis Brown so it looks like he's the prodigal son returned to the fold.

I think he is at Curtis Brown in a function other than "agent". His bio states he oversees the Translation Rights Department. He's also on the staff of Folio Literary as Executive Director of Subsidiary Rights.

ETA: It seems there is confusion about this. The Jonathon Lyons thread seems to indicate he has gone back to Curtis Brown as an agent. Might be time to try and check things out.

ETA2: Emailed him. He confirmed that he is agenting at Curtis Brown as well as handling Translation Rights.

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I finally nudged Ginger Knowlton, who'd had my manuscript for nine months. She wrote back right away, very nice and apologetic - she thought she'd sent the rejection months ago (though confirmed that she actually hadn't). Sigh.

FictionAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of new deals listed for Curtis Brown (US). Are they separate from the UK agency? Are they smaller? Is the UK agency the reputable one?

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
They are seperate, and both are big, extremely reputable agencies.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has heard from CB lately. Any news to report? Currently have a full out with them. (Fingers and toes crossed!)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be hosting an interactive interview with Ms. Knowlton on my blog this Wednesday, July 17. If you have a question for Ms. Knowlton, plan on hopping over and asking it on the blog that day.

I'll be back Wednesday morning to post a direct link!

leigh78

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone please provide information for e-query submission guidelines? I see that they accept e-queries but on their website, under their submission guidelines, they only list what they require for snail mail queries. Which is:

Query letter
Synopsis
Sample chapter
Brief resume

Does anyone know if all of the above is required in an e-mail query? Usually the requirement is less for e-mails.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
I think each agent will specify what they want on their own page? Either way, I remember sending them all of the above and it was fine. (Actually, I think I omitted the resume because my query included my pro background already.)

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how they feel about re-submitted queries?

I sent my manuscript to them about two years ago and have subsequently rewritten massive portions of it. Curtis Brown is a dream agency, so I thought I'd ask if anyone's had experience in that department.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
I might. I'm just worried I'm going to run out! I really love this agency. I'm apparently going fangirl over them.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Does anyone know how they feel about re-submitted queries?

I sent my manuscript to them about two years ago and have subsequently rewritten massive portions of it. Curtis Brown is a dream agency, so I thought I'd ask if anyone's had experience in that department.

I can't think of any agent anywhere that wouldn't reconsider the same manuscript after two years have passed and significant revisions have been applied. Unless they specifically said they never want to see it again in any way, shape or form, it's more than likely okay to resubmit to the same agent.