Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I'm also reminded that if I'm ever going to take a decent picture of a hummingbird, I need to get a really good (that is, expensive) camera. I've already got the "getting up close" part. I can just sit out on the porch with a feeder on each side, and they'll come up and feed within six feet of me just about all day, as long as I don't make any sudden movements...
The "getting up close part" sounds like you have more than half of the battle won already without the need for expensive equipment. Even if the hummingbirds' wings are out of focus, you'll still get decent body shots as they hover about. A tripod would help also, with the camera mounted and aimed toward the feeder as you relax and take shots at your leisure...

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread, I misidentified tricolored herons as little blue herons. It occurred here, here, here, here and here.

Little blue herons are darker colored and look more like this one.

I'm glad you posted this, because I didn't get to see this pic:

ParkKids11-18-09160-SM-2.jpg

And I absolutely love it!! That's an award winning photo for sure. Just amazing!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I read a description of the bird once that likened its bill to a wooden kitchen utensil, which reminded me of what I use to stir pasta sauces.

That's funny! It does kind of look like that. :)

That bill reminds me of a long-beak bird which reminds me of hummingbirds, and that reminds me, now that it's 80+ degrees in March, that I should go ahead and put out the hummingbird feeders.

I'm also reminded that if I'm ever going to take a decent picture of a hummingbird, I need to get a really good (that is, expensive) camera. I've already got the "getting up close" part. I can just sit out on the porch with a feeder on each side, and they'll come up and feed within six feet of me just about all day, as long as I don't make any sudden movements. I've seen them fight and fly between the feeders, flying within a foot of my face. Sometimes I can see one fly away from the feeder and see where he lands up in the trees, and then in ten minutes (or sooner if another hummingbird dares to come to the feeder!) I'll see him come back to the feeder.

Oh, wonderful! We don't get the hummingbirds here, for whatever reason, but up north we fed them and yes, we could sit and they'd come extremely close. Also, one of my very best memories is saving a little hummingbird that had become all gooped up in the syrup. I've never handled anything so delicate before. And to see her fly away, wings blazing, was a truly remarkable experience.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I like the one with the egret in the water, can I use it for my twitter background, SK? please.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
More great photos! Thanks SK.

WOW! I can't decide which one's better.

All of your photos are so beautiful, SK. Love 'em!
Thank you. It means a lot to me that the photos are enjoyed here. I don't ever share them with anyone else away from this site except for a couple of close family members.

In the future, however, with the help of a friend from AW, I may start a website dedicated to nature photos...
I like the one with the egret in the water, can I use it for my twitter background, SK? please.
Of course you can. I would be honored. :)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. It means a lot to me that the photos are enjoyed here. I don't ever share them with anyone else away from this site except for a couple of close family members.

In the future, however, with the help of a friend from AW, I may start a website dedicated to nature photos...

Of course you can. I would be honored. :)

w00t! Cool! thank you. :)

ooooh, a website! That's a great idea, SK. Let us know when you get one going. All of your photos are wonderful! It'll be a hit!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A little fellow appears, moving slowly along while he surveys his surroundings:

3-17-12116-SM.jpg

Nearby, a green heron takes measured steps away from the threat:

3-17-12147-SM.jpg

All the while, I was hoping the gator would lunge toward the bird and snatch her. I was ready for it!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw: Shame on you, SK. Poor lil bird, though that would've been a great shot. :D

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Not an exciting picture, but I love hostas and my plants are coming up earlier than usual this year, and this one, 'Ripple Effect', has interesting shaped and colored pips as it comes up from the ground.

RippleEffect3-24-12.jpg

I also liked the little rain drops reflecting the leaves in the bed.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I also liked the little rain drops reflecting the leaves in the bed.
Those drops elevate that image from pretty damn good to excellent. I especially like how it was shot almost straight on from close to the ground, which makes the droplets seem heavy and ready to break loose and fall to the earth at any moment.

Thank you for sharing the photo with us here. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A lame shot of the photographer posing while making believe he's taking pictures.

I dislike those so much that I had to try one out for myself and share the results:

IMG_20120323_152936-SM.jpg

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Those drops elevate that image from pretty damn good to excellent. I especially like how it was shot almost straight on from close to the ground, which makes the droplets seem heavy and ready to break loose and fall to the earth at any moment.

Thank you for sharing the photo with us here. :)
Absolutely incredible picture. I agree with SK completely.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm, delicious photographer.

gatorstalksSK.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not an exciting picture, but I love hostas and my plants are coming up earlier than usual this year, and this one, 'Ripple Effect', has interesting shaped and colored pips as it comes up from the ground.

RippleEffect3-24-12.jpg

I also liked the little rain drops reflecting the leaves in the bed.

I love this image, Tepelus! I have tons of hostas as well, and they are already popping up in my garden too. I just hope we don't get a late frost...

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I love this image, Tepelus! I have tons of hostas as well, and they are already popping up in my garden too. I just hope we don't get a late frost...

We're in for low temps Tuesday morning of around 27. First the prediction was for 31, which I could handle, but 27 is too cold. I'm going to bring in what I have in pots, and maybe cover up the hostas that have unfurled, but the rest are on their own. Most likely going to have frost-bitten hostas this year. The frost won't kill them, just make them look ugly for pictures.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Silver King is about to get gobbled up! I guess that will be the end of all those Charlie pics.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Nice work swachski. :D

Very nice photo, Tepelus! You shot it just right. Loved the image.