Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I really want to see that flick too! I'm a massive Del Toro fan. :D

I can't think offhand of anyone who dislikes Cronos. Really, all his films have an identifiable weirdness which states authorial intent (with Mimic being the sole so-so film, and even then...)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
70s version or the remake?

Obviously the remake on the Crazies, but I have seen both versions of the Haunting.

"Carrie" was a thrill, and my mother had to get out a cane and poke me when the hand shout out of the ground. I about had a heart attack at 14!

Last edited:

OhTheHorror

jlw
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think offhand of anyone who dislikes Cronos. Really, all his films have an identifiable weirdness which states authorial intent (with Mimic being the sole so-so film, and even then...)

Couldn't agree more. Though, I really loved Mimic. But I have a serious crush on big bug horror. :)

My other-half showed me a trailer for the Evil Dead remake the other day. That looks good too, even if I really enjoyed the original in all it cheesy glory.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously the remake on the Crazies, but I have seen both versions of the Haunting.

:(

Watch the Romero film. It is so much better.

My other-half showed me a trailer for the Evil Dead remake the other day. That looks good too, even if I really enjoyed the original in all it cheesy glory.

I'm... worried about the remake. The first two films are perfect, and don't need remakes (hell, the second is basically a remake of the first in and of itself), and the trend to remake everything recently hasn't gone so well...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The Diary Of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life At Rose Red is on my TBR stack. I'm slightly apprehensive about reading it.

OhTheHorror

jlw
Registered
Reaction score
I'm... worried about the remake. The first two films are perfect, and don't need remakes (hell, the second is basically a remake of the first in and of itself), and the trend to remake everything recently hasn't gone so well...

I have to agree with you, BW.

I heard Ash isn't in the new one and has been replaced with a female character. I'm unsure about this little bit of information. The trailer looks good, so I'll give it a go, I guess. We'll have to see, but to me it's a bit like re-making Dead Alive.

Actually, it's not ... I'd probably form a posse if they tried to re-make Dead Alive. :mob

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I...

*attempts to comprehend*

*head explodes*

Ash is the Evil Dead franchise. More specifically, Bruce Campbell made it what it is - taking the character out of the equation is like remaking The Godfather without Vito Corleone. Now I'm really worried...

(for reference, look at the posters, comics, toys and other Evil Dead merchandise - odds are that it will prominently feature Ash)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stir of Echoes, GhostShip, The Shining, Rose Red, Sixth Sense, but that's about all I can come up with. I know I must be missing some, but I can't come up with any great ones, and I'm in that sort of ghosty type mood.

:Wha:

I'm all for Stir of Echoes, which I thought was horribly underrated, but even my semi-crush on Julianna Margulies couldn't save Ghost Ship. Egads, no.

And as much as I had high hopes for Rose Red, and as much as it started strong, it completely devolved in the last two acts. I only tuned in on the third night to see how the train wreck would play out. Not one of the better outings.

Not as bad as when they did Desperation, but it was no The Stand, either.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I...

*attempts to comprehend*

*head explodes*

Ash is the Evil Dead franchise. More specifically, Bruce Campbell made it what it is - taking the character out of the equation is like remaking The Godfather without Vito Corleone. Now I'm really worried...

(for reference, look at the posters, comics, toys and other Evil Dead merchandise - odds are that it will prominently feature Ash)

I really like Bruce Campbell. I got hooked on him with Brisc Country Jr :D [showing my age]. Lol.

Stir of Echoes, GhostShip, The Shining, Rose Red, Sixth Sense, but that's about all I can come up with. I know I must be missing some, but I can't come up with any great ones, and I'm in that sort of ghosty type mood.

Ghost Ship, Event Horizon, and Virus [Jamie Lee Curtis]... Virus still gives me the creeps. :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I have the same issue. I get re-making it with Ash, but changing him to a girl...

Oh, god ... what if they name her Ashley? :eek:

They didn't.

FWIW, Bruce Campbell has apparently seen it and has good things to say about it.

It's not my kind of film, judging by the clips I've seen, so I don't plan to watch it anyway.

:Shrug:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
For those of us who were addicted to Six Feet Under, the name of the main character is very amusing...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Mia.

Though given how Nate was in the final season, I can well imagine him being the evil entity which needs vanquished...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mia.

Though given how Nate was in the final season, I can well imagine him being the evil entity which needs vanquished...

I only ever saw the first season of Six Feet Under, for various reasons including my sudden change of domicile, but I keep meaning to go back and watch it all at some point.

Along with all the other things I need to watch.

:D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, 90s television...

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., American Gothic (essential viewing), Brimstone (underrated), Babylon 5, Highlander (the first season and the last are rather disappointing, but the rest is great entertainment), X-Files...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually seen - and remember - most of those.

And as far as I am concerned, the last season of Highlander (much like all the movies after the first) do not exist.

:D

ETA: Sadly I think some of those - like Brimstone - aren't available.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I took inspiration from the facial hair of Brimstone's MC for a character. :) Love that show. And Vengeance Unlimited - another great series which got buried in the schedules when it was shown in the UK (though, for some reason, the crappy Fugitive remake was shown at a reasonable hour)...

Status
Not open for further replies.