G'Day

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Thanks. 

I'm trying to get book 1 of the comedic UF series edited, and will soon be editing the SF/F thriller. I'm intending on self-e-pubbing both before I go back to Uni, so I have about 2.5 months right now. Thankfully, the drafts had been finished.

If I have time, I'll finish the first draft of the 2nd in the comedic series. I won't be able to upload that until the middle of the year though, due to the expected amount of homework. No way can I get it finished AND edited before I go back next year...

Good luck with your e-pubbing! I just finished Uni this year, so I know how handy the long summer holidays are for writing projects.

… I mainly read fantasy / sci-fi and was planning on writing a fantasty novel. It immediately turned itself into a modern day thriller. Oh well, it seems to be working.

Haha, don't you love it when a story just runs away and takes on a life of its own? :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

And yeah, I've been trying to get as much done as possible over this break. About 1 month into it, and I've got a fair bit done... Not as much as I was hoping, though. My plans have changed a bit this month - previously I was trying to get a trilogy out there. Now it's book 1 of the trilogy (well, series really) and 1 stand-alone out there.

Still a lot to do!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
If you, like me, are seeing the google ad for "Balboa Press" and your "free publishing guide" ignore it. They are scam artists like Xlibris and Author Solutions (they are all the same multinational scamming vanity publisher and will harass you endlessly for money and rob you blind.) A disabled relative of mine was conned by these unscrupulous people they took $5000 off him and gave him nothing in return. They promise a refund if you want to cancel with them, but they don't honor it.

Last edited:

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years everyone.

SkyeOhWhy, I love your improvised paper hat!

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cliff Face!

So... how is 2013 treating you all so far?

For me, it's been somewhat productive (though not enough) but HOT!

Was there any part of the country that didn't near 30 degrees today?

My year's off to a flying start. I was aiming to write 15K words by the end of Jan and I'm already up to 4500.

SkyeOhWhy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a while; I'm neck-deep in copyedits and my deadline is rapidly approaching. Hope everyone had an awesome NYE & 2013 is treating you well so far. :)

My year's off to a flying start. I was aiming to write 15K words by the end of Jan and I'm already up to 4500.

Ooh, congrats!

As for the country getting past 30 degrees... In Adelaide, it was over 40.

*dies*

I usually enjoy hot weather, but I have to admit this summer has been crazy. I bought a massive pack of tubes to freeze, which helps a lot on the hottest days (and brings back memories of the primary school canteen!) :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Tubes, as in those Sooper Dooper type ice blocks that are sold as a liquid in a tube, and then you put them in the freezer and bam, ice block?

I remember those. My best friend from the age of 5 to 10 used to have those all the time. Actually, I saw some in the shops a couple of days ago. Blast from the past!

Anyone affected by the bushfires? There was some pretty intense footage on the news for about 4 nights in a row here, but no bushfires our way.

SkyeOhWhy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Tubes, as in those Sooper Dooper type ice blocks that are sold as a liquid in a tube, and then you put them in the freezer and bam, ice block?

Yep! They're taking up half my freezer at the moment, but you can't beat them for a sugar (and nostalgia) rush on hot days. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Nice.

I bought ice cream for the first time in years the other day. Bulla Splits. Yummo. I think the freezer might not be turned cold enough, though, because when I eat them, they're really soft and kind of runny.

I like them like that, but considering I eat them while watching DVDs on my laptop... Yeah, I can see the drippiness ending in tragedy.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Yes, very hot here, but fortunately, being right opposite the water, not as hot as others. I have dreaded putting on my TV, and well, haven't a great deal. I see there were really horrible fires in TAS, ah, but I haven't heard of deaths...so thanks for that.

When the temperatures hit this high, well, no wonder we aren't here often, but guys, all take care....summer thankfully will be over shortly, and we generally don't have to worry about horrible winters, oh, apart from floods.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SkyeOhWhy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Hope you're all coping ok with the latest heatwave (46 in Sydney the other day? Yikes!) and aren't affected by the fires. It's sobering to think there's still over a month of summer to go.

This is a bit of a random question, but has anyone here done a PHD (or know someone who has)? I finished Uni last year and I'm seriously considering academia as a career option, although I've heard some horror stories about the casualisation of the workforce. Any thoughts/ opinions regarding what it's actually like to live as a PHD student in Australia? :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I was making great progress up until Christmas... Since then it's tapered off a bit.

Just need to push through this final editing pass for TEC, then I can reward myself with writing some fresh words. I wrote a 3k short story the other day, and it was the best I've felt in a long time, just writing for a few hours.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Australia Day all! So proud to be from the best country in the world ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The only competition I know about is right here on AW, in the Contests forum - UnValentine's. I've written my first draft and edited it a few times, but haven't submitted yet.

It's a short story competition, a comedic take on Valentine's Day, up to 5k in length.

Apart from that... No, nothing planned, apart from going to Uni, editing, and submitting novels to agents.