Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
PublishAmerica author sues Stephen King for plagiarism

Rod Marquardt, author of Keller's Den, is alleging that King's novel, Duma Key, contains infringing content. He's asking for an injunction, destruction of copies, damages, and restitution.

The complaint is here. The entire cause of action seems to be that Marquardt published his novel in 2002, and King published his in 2008. The list of allegedly infringing content makes for very sad reading.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
They misspell King's name several times. Does that matter?
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

DreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate View Post
They misspell King's name several times.
On the other hand, I'll admit to being impressed that they spelled "cavalry" correctly, since it feels like I see it misspelled "calvary" 95% of the time.

As my old tactics professor used to say, "Cavalry is mounted soldiers. Calvary is a hill in Jerusalem".

Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters!
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
Aidan Watson-Morris
i write words

Aidan Watson-Morris is a shiny, shiny jewelAidan Watson-Morris is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
On the other hand, I'll admit to being impressed that they spelled "cavalry" correctly, since it feels like I see it misspelled "calvary" 95% of the time.

As my old tactics professor used to say, "Cavalry is mounted soldiers. Calvary is a hill in Jerusalem".
I'm setting a military book in Jerusalem now just to use the phrase:

"The Cavalry arrived in Calvary."

Last edited by Aidan Watson-Morris; 03-21-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Semi-colon instead of colon. I've heard PA authors have used semi-colons before and I wouldn't want to plagiarize.
Aidan Watson-Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate View Post
They misspell King's name several times. Does that matter?
How in Christ do you misspell "King"?

Last edited by blacbird; 12-08-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo. damn old baseball hand injury. fingers no work good.
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
How in Christ do you misspell "King"?
I meant they wrote Steven instead of Stephen several times.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

DreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthood
Oooh, maybe this suit will lead to a subpoena for PA to provide information on how many copies of the PA book were actually printed & sold, and to whom (bookstores, direct sales from the website, to the author, etc.). That would be interesting. Especially if PA's recordkeeping matches its ability to provide proper royalty accounting.

Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, just wow. My mind boggled reading through that.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
C.H. Valentino
Wording!

C.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, I, for one, am convinced King did it.

Yeah.

Probably not, dude.

CHV
Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So I guess we can not use the color yellow in a painting, or make statements like rescued by the cavalry, without Mr Rod Marquardt feeling like we are stealing his cliche's...

This is really sad, except for the lawyers...

I seriously doubt a journey is going to find judgement against Mr King in favor of a PA author.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
So I guess we can not use the color yellow in a painting, or make statements like rescued by the cavalry, without Mr Rod Marquardt feeling like we are stealing his cliche's...

This is really sad, except for the lawyers...

I seriously doubt a journey is going to find judgement against Mr King in favor of a PA author.
Well, there goes my novel about a telepathic artist who's rescued by the calvary cavalry before she drowns in a bathtub...
Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
The list of allegedly infringing content makes for very sad reading.

- Victoria

You mean like this:

Quote:
Two secondary characters from each novel try to convince both
main characters to leave the house after a scary incident, but both
main characters stay alone at their house (
Which is pretty much standard practice in every thriller/horror ever written.

Or

Quote:
Both novels use the word “cavalry” as being rescued from the
intruder when someone else shows up
Which is a 200 year-old cliche, at least.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Steam&Ink
sekrit superhero

Location: Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away down there.
Steam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputation
There are some interesting comparisons. And there are some very far-fetched ones, too.

Of course you'd have to read the novels to really get a good idea. (And for that reason I feel sorry for any judge on this lawsuit - even from the snippet I got a feeling of purple prose).

Steam&Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
thothguard51

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunkette View Post
There are some interesting comparisons. And there are some very far-fetched ones, too.

Of course you'd have to read the novels to really get a good idea. (And for that reason I feel sorry for any judge on this lawsuit - even from the snippet I got a feeling of purple prose).
He is asking for a JURY trial... Lucky judge...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #15
Lyra Jean
Two years old now.

Lyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe it's a new ploy by PA authors to sell more novels.

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
Chapter One complete 2,034
Lyra Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #16
C.bronco
I have plans...

C.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra Jean View Post
Maybe it's a new ploy by PA authors to sell more novels.
They can only hope, the poor abused souls. That's not the way to do it, though.

They first need to get out of their contracts, and then they might have a chance!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
C.bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #17
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm feeling sad, thinking about the cash the author is shelling out for this. Honestly, the whole thing has become really distasteful, with the author dancing after his delusion like the girl in the red shoes, and the lawyers pocketing money for this lost and pointless cause in order to be able to say they sued Stephen King.

Just gross.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #18
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
That raises the costs of the case significantly. It was a poor decision.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #19
Steam&Ink
sekrit superhero

Location: Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away down there.
Steam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputationSteam&Ink has a golden reputation
Quote:
At least he'll be able to say that twelve people have read his book

Steam&Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #20
necia phoenix
practical experience, FTW

necia phoenix is a shiny, shiny jewelnecia phoenix is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunkette View Post
At least he'll be able to say that twelve people have read his book

necia phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #21
thothguard51

As far as PA opening their books, they are not party to the lawsuit that I can see.

Also, didn't PA claim some type of fire or water damage some years ago in which they lost records????

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #22
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

Quote:
As far as PA opening their books, they are not party to the lawsuit that I can see.
No, but their records could be substantiating evidence, and therefore it seems possible one side or the other may ask for them.

I seem to recall that one of the reasons the lady who sued JK Rowling had her case thrown out of court was that the number of her books that were printed was miniscule and sales were restricted to such a tiny geographical area that those two facts made it unreasonable to believe that JK Rowling could ever have seen her book, much less read it and plagiarized it.

But I might be misremembering that, of course.

ETA: I know this isn't the only reason, or even a main one. There were lots of other, more important reasons. BUT, this is the one that could cause PA some...trouble, let's say. That's why I mentioned it, instead of all the other reasons that particular suit was idiotic.

Last edited by DreamWeaver; 12-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #23
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I seem to recall that one of the reasons the lady who sued JK Rowling had her case thrown out of court was that the number of her books that were printed was miniscule and sales were restricted to such a tiny geographical area that those two facts made it unreasonable to believe that JK Rowling could ever have seen her book, much less read it and plagiarized it.
Perhaps, but the big reason was that it was proved in open court that she had fabricated evidence.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
No, but their records could be substantiating evidence, and therefore it seems possible one side or the other may ask for them.

But I might be misremembering that, of course.
No, even one book would have been enough. Trouble was, there wasn't a single copy anyone could find anywhere, except a copy that was altered long after the fact. This is why the lady who sued ended up being fined a lot of money.

Actual plagiarism itself is proof of having read a copy, not number of copies out Terr. It only takes one copy for someone to copy the contents.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #25
ghost
Hey, that's my bike!

ghost is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
No, even one book would have been enough. Trouble was, there wasn't a single copy anyone could find anywhere, except a copy that was altered long after the fact. This is why the lady who sued ended up being fined a lot of money.

Actual plagiarism itself is proof of having read a copy, not number of copies out Terr. It only takes one copy for someone to copy the contents.
Funny enough, there was a copy in the discount book store in Vancouver, BC. I kept wanting to buy it, but refused to pay the twenty bucks they were asking for it.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote