How to avoid tense switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,627
Reaction score
220
Location
South Florida
Has anyone ever had this problem were you constantly switch verb tenses? This was by far the most annoying problem i had in any of my writing.

Am I the only one with this problem? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?
 

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
16,767
Reaction score
4,663
Location
Scotland
Concentrate.

Has anyone ever had this problem [were where] you constantly switch verb tenses? This was by far the most annoying problem i had in any of my writing.

Am I the only one with this problem? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?
 
Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
43,746
Reaction score
8,654
Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.amazon.com
Has anyone ever had this problem were you constantly switch verb tenses? This was by far the most annoying problem i had in any of my writing.

Am I the only one with this problem? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?


What Bufty said. Concentrate. If you're writing about things happening in the past, then use past tense. Why are you writing "she opens the door" if it's in the past? There's no excuse except for being unfocused or lazy.

Then again, just write. Everything can be fixed in rewrites. Just make sure you know what you're looking for. I think simply knowing you have that problem is a good first step.
 

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
6,449
Reaction score
1,321
Has anyone ever had this problem were you constantly switch verb tenses? This was by far the most annoying problem i had in any of my writing.

You're not kidding--you did it right here!

Am I the only one with this problem? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

Write more carefully. Edit your drafts carefully. Read them over several times.
 

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
852
Reaction score
166
Has anyone ever had this problem were you constantly switch verb tenses? This was by far the most annoying problem i had in any of my writing.

Am I the only one with this problem? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

Really? With me it's the opposite. I write in the past tense (which for simplicity's sake includes past perfect, future in the past etc) as unconsciously, thoughtlessly as I breathe. But when it comes to switching tenses (dialogue for instance), I usually have to concentrate. As just right now, I'm writing in the present tense, first person, and this taxes my brain significantly.

well, I suggest you spend more time reading. This'll get your brain tuned in. :D
 
Last edited:

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
271
Reaction score
25
Has anyone ever had this problem were you constantly switch verb tenses? This was by far the most annoying problem i had in any of my writing.

Am I the only one with this problem? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?
Well, sometimes you are supposed to switch tenses, say between past and past perfect. I don't quite understand your problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.