The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
For some reasons, Boob's latest posts sound just like CanadaJames's right before he disappeared.

Don't comment on PA authors
You're too hard on those authors
You're fight is with PA not the authors
You're scaring off everyone I send over here.

I don't see this site being "hard" on the PA authors, but when they post things about the publishing industry that are "outside the norm" and the fact that their publisher willingly abates their misconceptions, then they need to be pointed out somewhere.

Even if they don't see the answer, maybe someone else will, so when they get fed the same ol' tripe from PA, hopefully an alarm will be set off in their head.

Again, once someone signs with PA, there's not a lot that can be done (yet). The goal is to cut off the wheat before it hits the PA gristmill.

Boob

Sean,

I wasn`t speaking specifically about your post. I was generalising.
eg: Quote: "Labelled by some of the people."

Boob

Because of this statement in the message we received - look familiar???

I believe that was said. However, It didn`t mean the regulars here, privately, via e-mail.

Boob.

Boob

I'm glad to be able to personally witness the biggest difference between these boards and PA's - the freedom to say what you think.

Even when it includes public mockery of those you say you are fighting for? Sorry, I just don`t buy into that.

Boob. :idea:

Boob

Anyway, I know I probubly won`t change anybody`s opinion, but I`ve said my piece.

Night all,

Boob. :kiss:

SeanDSchaffer

Understood

Boob said:
Sean,

I wasn`t speaking specifically about your post. I was generalising.
eg: Quote: "Labelled by some of the people."

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll try to be more understanding next time.

I have to admit, you kind of caught me off-guard with your original post on this subject. I hope you'll forgive me if I sounded a little bitter. The only people I really have a beef against here is PA and those who run it.

(Although I might point out--quickly if I may--that I personally, as a PA'er myself, have yet to directly receive any insulting comments from board regulars here. And I have been quoted at least once that I know of on this thread--early on--with the accompanying statement "Reality check in Aisle Three." I was the third entry in the post quoted. It doesn't bother me any more; it was posted a long time ago. But other than that, I don't remember any disrespect toward me personally, either as a writer or as a PA'er, from people on this forum.)

DeePower

Mmmm makes me wonder, it really does....

Something is happening. Something. Have you noticed? When the posts here, start to become focused on a particular poster. On apololgies. On 'picking on PA authors'. That we are denigrating PA authors, and not the company. It has meant in the past, ... that PublishAmerica is worried.

Why would PublishAmerica now be worried?

Dee

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
Yes you did, no I did not, yes you did, no I did not...

The ignore function has made my time at AW much more enjoyable.

-Jeff

CJWilkes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cjwilkes.com
I have to agree with much of what Boob has said. I am not trying to get involved in any fights, but it really is intimidating and quite hard to come here and see that people have posted about me or something I've said. I think the first time I came on here to speak to anybody was in defense of myself and an explanation for what I had said on the PA boards that was missinterpretated here.

Boob really does have a valid concern and if fighting PA is your cause then you might want to look at who exactly is being targetted in your comments. This is for everyone - including myself... If it does not apply to you then ignore my comment, it really does not hurt me :)

BTW Boob, long time no chat :)

Boob

Something is happening. Something. Have you noticed? When the posts here, start to become focused on a particular poster. On apololgies.

Of course, it`s a huge conspiracy. Yeah, yeah, that`s it!

Ed, pour me a Icee. You want to talk about not being allowed to have an opinion? Do you see what this has come to? It`s a damn shame.

Yo CJ, Wazzup? :hi:

Last edited:

SeanDSchaffer

DeePower said:
Something is happening. Something. Have you noticed? When the posts here, start to become focused on a particular poster. On apololgies. On 'picking on PA authors'. That we are denigrating PA authors, and not the company. It has meant in the past, ... that PublishAmerica is worried.

Why would PublishAmerica now be worried?

Dee

Who knows? Maybe they're worried for the same reason that made them send out the infamous 'Confidentiality and Non-Disparagement Agreement.'

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling PA might have a lot more to worry about right now than just its reputation.

:horse:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff said:
The ignore function has made my time at AW much more enjoyable.
Me, too. Thanks for the reminder!

Dreamweaver

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Boob said:
Anyway, I know I probubly won`t change anybody`s opinion, but I`ve said my piece.
Oh, cue the violins and sing me a sad song.

One of these days I'm going to compile a list of Linguistic Markers Of Martyrdom Complexes. It'll contain such gems as "Not that anyone cares how I feel," and "Fine, I'll just leave and never post again" and "See, this only proves that you people can't handle dissent." We can have them printed up on 5 x 5 grids and play Martyr Bingo on our Sunday drives through the forums.

Yes, yes, I agree: It is wrong and self-defeating to pick up PA forum posts and use them to make fun of the authors themselves.

But, outside of Hizzoner da Shemp, that's not what generally happens. Barring our weaker, human moments, what actually happens is, people quote PA forum posts in order to illustrate the miseducation PA perpetrates on their victims. The goal isn't to make fun of the authors. It's to correct their misconceptions and point the finger at PA as the willful cause of those misconceptions.

It is inevitable that those authors who are still at the stage where their very identity and sense of self-worth is contingent upon believing the lies that PA fed them will interpret such illustrations as ridicule. That stage does pass, though. Meantime, their current situation in that sad stage is no good reason for us to shut our mouths on truths that may save others from ever entering that stage in the first place.

It's probably time for me to have a random thought again. More soon. Stay tuned. Meanwhile... all I need is "I am supported by the lurkers that are afraid to post for fear of your ridicule" to get a Bingo. No, wait, we just saw that one about a page ago. Bingo!

Last edited:

Howard Gross

Relying on the BBB

postshy said:
Yes, Dave, when I wrote to the BBB, I pointed out that I have used, and trusted, the Better Business Bureau on many occasions. However, if it is that easy for a Company to regain a "satisfactory" rating, then perhaps people should think twice about using their system.
postshy
The interesting truth about the BBB is that it's all about responding. If the company in question responds to all complaints timely, they will maintain a satisfactory rating regardless if the complaint was resolved satisfactorily or not. Although the underlying purpose is to help resolve the complaint, the BBB only requires you make an attempt to resolve. Their quality standard is a perfect example of "form over matter".

Cheers,
HG

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

SeanDSchaffer said:
So the PA Private Boards, so far as I can tell, are not all that private after all. If someone can come in and post without being a PA author....well....I think you pretty well get what I'm saying.

You might notice that PA tends to be six months to a year behind updating anything--and they're pretty clueless about IT in general.

Damyeon

Registered
Reaction score
Now, I didn't go through all 21,000+ posts, so if the topic or opinion has already been addressed, please direct me to the correct field.

I have been approached by PA (via emails and snail mail) in reguards to books of mine. If they (PA) are as bad as more than most say, can anyone, who has been published, please inform me on how to get in touch with a tried and true publisher so that I can offer them my books.

If anyone would like to read excerpts from my stories and offer me criticism, I would greatly appreciat it.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Damyeon, welcome! There are a lot of good threads on this board about getting your work seen and others where you can share your writing for critique. Travel around the board a bit, you'll see what I mean.

A lot of good advice is in the Novels forum in the Learn Writing With Uncle Jim which has an index (it's not as current as I'd like but I'll catch up soon and most of what you're interested in has been indexed) and an "Undiluted" thread as well where just Jim's 'lessons' are captured.

And don't forget to introduce yourself over on the Newbies thread.

Deleted member 42

Hi Damyeon

Welcome to the assy . . . umm . . . Absolute Write. There are many good forums/boards here, and resources on the Absolute site itself, so spend a while looking around. I'd particularly suggest you look at this thread:

Learn Writing with Uncle Jim

James D. Macdonald is a much published novelist and short story writer, and a fine teacher.

I'd also suggest you read

On the Getting of Agents

Teresa Nielsen Hayden is a much respected professional editor at Tor.

SeanDSchaffer

Hello Damyeon

First, welcome to AW. It's good to have you here.

Second, I'd like to say basically everything Medievalist and Dawno have said. The threads they've suggested are outstanding resources for aspiring writers such as ourselves.

One forum I would recommend in particular would be the Share Your Work forum, because there you can post--according to your particular genre--your work for critique. I myself have used it several times to enhance my own writing ability, and I can say it has become an invaluable resource to me.

Finally, I hope you enjoy the site.

:Sun:

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Quick Reminder, for you PA Authors paying a visit to this thread..

1) What was the retail price of your book and the page count.
2) What was the trade discount set for your title and how many
copies were bought [bookstores, amazon, b&n.com, etc]
3) What were you charged for author purchases and how many did you buy?
4) What price did your "Friends and family" list get set at and how many
units were bought? [usually from PA directly]
5) How long did the editing process take on your book?
6) What marketing was done by PA on your title
7) What marketing was done by you, the author?

All info will be kept anonymous so private message me if you wish. I have about 7 responses so far, really need some more to get a better statistical average.

Mike

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On Commenting on the Words of PA Authors...

Do we sometimes make fun of PA authors here? Of course. If people make stipid statements in public forums then they hold themselves up to public scrutiny. I'm sorry, but some moron (yes, I called him a moron) breaking bookstore windows and bragging about the good publicity thereby generated needs to be mocked, needs to have his words exposed as utter folly.

There is a difference between that person and the newbie author whose publishers tells them to do things that they know cannot work. It is with great sorrow I read those comments from those whose dreams are not yet squashed. Do we still talk about this doomed author's plans? Yes. Our words are not directed towards that author, but towards the morally bankrupt people who encourage that behavior in order to line their own pockets. Should we watch in silence as scores of people each week march off like lemings, following the fruitless advice their publisher offers them? Should we hold our tongues as author after author makes the same mistakes, sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars in debt from books, or PR services that can not help? We might as well let PA do whatever they like without comment if we must hold our tongues for fear of offending the victims of PA's scam. Yes, some authors will come here and see their words or plans dissected. Yes, they may be hurt or embarrassed. It was never us who put them in this position, it was the lies PublishAmerica told them.

So, in my opinion, we are right to expose the comments from public boards, both from the moronic and the deceived. And yet there is another form of PA poster. This type is the most heinous. Those who know the real deal with PA and yet act as though everything is great in the land of Poz. Those that act as though PA were a commercial publisher no different than Random House or St. Martin's Press. These are the worst. Their words must be dragged into the light here and exposed.

One of PA's primary tools for drawing in more victims is, in fact, their author message board. There can be no debate about this. If we do not expose the information provided on those boards by the moronic, the innocent newbie, or the morally corrupt booster, then what the f- are we doing here? If PA insists on using authors to do their scamming for them, then we have no choice but to comment on their posts.

That's the way I see it.

diana

Charlotte M. Leslie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dare to compare

Here at A.W. it's : "give us the tired, the weary, the broke." Over at Putrid America, "give us your book,your dreams,your credit card". Hello?

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
1) Criticism of something one has written or said is not criticism of oneself, though many people react as if it is. You are not your book. You are not your posts. Stay clear about that and your feelings won't get hurt nearly as often as otherwise.

2) "I have made inflammatory comments about how bad You People are that I have not supported with evidence and if you debate or disagree with me then you're just hypocrites"--wow, we've never heard that line of reasoning before. *plonk*

3) As others have pointed out, this board is usually given the opportunity to focus on a certain person or unresolvable issue just about the time something interesting breaks at PA. I wonder what would happen if we stayed focused on PA and ignored the drama?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.