Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
SummerAuthor
figuring it all out

SummerAuthor is on a distinguished road
Question YA Novel Publishers That Accepts Unsolicited Work

I tried using the search button for this, but I didn't find anything.

Does anyone know where I could get a list of publishers that accepts unsolicited YA work?

Thanks in advance
SummerAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Jeffery E Doherty
figuring it all out

Jeffery E Doherty is on a distinguished road
Probably the Writers Market Guide. That's usually out of date be the time it's published though. I usually find the publishing companies I think would best suit the book and them look up their guidlines on their web site. If they don't accept unsolicited manuscripts, I send a query letter and make the blurb as interesting as I can witht he hope they will ask me to send in the ms.

Hope this helps.

JED

Write Tight! And power to your keyboard!
http://jefferyedoherty.googlepages.com/home

The Friendship Treasures - PB (Submitted)
Ty Tucker and the Terrible Two-headed Toynapper - Story (Submitted)
Ty Tucker and the Wish Weaving Wonder-Box - Story (Submitted)
Ty Tucker and the Dinosaur Dig Discovery - Story (Submitted)
Eyes In The Dark - YA Fantasy (Reviewing)
The Zoo- Junior fiction NaNoWriMo novel (In-progress)
Jeffery E Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Harper K
here's to the girl on the go

Harper K is a shiny, shiny jewelHarper K is a shiny, shiny jewel
Get a copy of Children's Writers and Illustrators Market. Like the regular Writer's Market, it's published every year, but as it deals strictly with book and magazine markets for children's and YA authors, it's a much more manageable size. Also, the book's author / editor, Alice Pope, keeps a blog where she posts any updates or additions to the markets in the book. It's a great resource: http://cwim.blogspot.com

Also, if you join SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators), they'll send you a fantastic markets guide. It lists the acquiring editors at each children's and YA publisher / division / imprint and has their submissions guidelines. There are still a few publishers that accept unsolicited submissions -- usually they'll specify that they want to see a query letter and a few of the novel's opening pages first, just like many agents want to see.

Good luck!

Harper K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
MsJudy
practical experience, FTW

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you're interested in agents, Agentquery.com lets you do all kinds of searches:

http://agentquery.com/

and Querytracker.net lets people post feedback:

http://querytracker.net/

I don't know of similar tracking sites for publishers.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
SummerAuthor
figuring it all out

SummerAuthor is on a distinguished road
this helps, thanks everyone!
SummerAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I'm right in saying that Chicken House in the UK still accepts unsolicited manuscripts and they might accept YA (they're certainly geared towards childrens' and some of their titles stray into YA territory).

MM
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #7
JenUK24
Jess aged 15 months

JenUK24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
I think I'm right in saying that Chicken House in the UK still accepts unsolicited manuscripts and they might accept YA (they're certainly geared towards childrens' and some of their titles stray into YA territory).

MM
You would be right in saying that.
check out their guidelines for submission at their website www.doublecluck.com.
They only accept via post though.

Hope that helps.

J x

JenUK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
wyntermoon
It all started with a little boo...

wyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Porting to YA to see if they have more suggestions. Good luck!
wyntermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Shady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think Flux has been known to look at unsolicited stuff, but I'm always one to suggest getting an agent. Sasha might have more names for ya, when she comes by.

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
--
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

Shady Lane is offline   Reply With Quote