• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

American Writers & Artists' Institute

Does anyone know anything about the American Writers and Artists Institute? I learned about them in today's Absolute Writer Newsletter. The pitch is that they will teach writers copywriting techniques that will earn them six figure incomes from writing direct marketing letters. Maybe they're legit, but their pitch reads like a scam. If so, I'm surprised that Absolute Writers is reporting about them. If they are legit, though, I'd like to know. Has anyone out there had any direct experience with AWAI that you'd like to share?

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds an awful lot like the Writer2Writer "free mini-workshops." They offer 3 different workshops and all are actually advertisements for books on the subjects. You get very basic generalities but not much meat. They are designed to convince you to buy the books. I believe I can get more helpful information on any of the subjects by asking questions and doing searches on Absolute Write and other forums. This may not be a valid comparison but it certainly was the first thing I thought of when I read your query.

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

Last edited:

cheryl-wright

Jean wrote: This sounds an awful lot like the Writer2Writer "free mini-workshops." They offer 3 different workshops and all are actually advertisements for books on the subjects. You get very basic generalities but not much meat. They are designed to convince you to buy the books. I believe I can get more helpful information on any of the subjects by asking questions and doing searches on Absolute Write and other forums.

Hello Jean, I'm sorry you don't find the mini-workshops helpful.

Some of them I have written myself, which took a very long time, others I have paid good money for. A lot of people email to say how helpful the workshops have been to them, also that some concepts have finally fallen into place from the information I've provided.

Of course I'm going to advertise my books. Most people are quite happy to just work around that - simply because they are receiving valuable information for free.

Many of the lessons/articles provided have been sold to other writing publications previously, and some have been written specifically for that course.

I've recently paid a lot of money for another free course, and that will be added shortly. I don't believe any of the free or mini workshops are worthless, otherwise they would not be there. My aim is to provide good quality information - free or otherwise.

Cheryl Wright
Owner of Writer2Writer.com website
http://www.writer2writer.com

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Procure.

Maybe they're legit, but their pitch reads like a scam.

I agree with you and wish they would change their approach (and asked them to). I don't like their ads one bit, but the course material is solid-- I did order their course before I would allow them to advertise with us, and I corresponded with many happy students.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cheryl,

Didn't mean to insult you, but I read the first issue of the first two of the three courses I signed up for and felt that the books were the prime target for both. In light of your response here, I'll consider that that may not be the intent, and I will make an effort to go back and reread them. Due to the seeming advertisment quality in those first two, I have not even bothered to open the third course's first issue, nor have I opened/read subsequent issues of the other two.

Your web site does seem to be aimed at assistance to authors, otherwise I would not have ordered the courses in the first place. I certainly don't blame you for wanting to plug your books, I would just prefer that it not be so prevalent throughout the course that it makes the student feel as though they are missing the boat by not paying to order the book. It seems to belittle the free information you are offering.

Although my time is limited, as is yours, I will go back and reevaluate. If my impression
is altered, I will return here for an update (actually, I guess a separate thread might be more appropriate).

Thank you for the time you took to clarify.

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

Jenna

Thanks for your response. I may pursue this course, but I have to wonder: If there's so much money to be earned in copywriting, why are they selling a course rather than just doing it themselves? Do you recall whether the "happy" students you talked with were actually making money?

cheryl-wright

Due to the seeming advertisment quality in those first two, I have not even bothered to open the third course's first issue, nor have I opened/read subsequent issues of the other two.

Hi Jean,

It is quite a while since I took the time to re-evaluate the content of the courses. Since this seems to be an issue, I will go back and check it out.

The Writer2Writer.com website was never created with $$$'s in mind - it was always meant to be a means to assisting writers in their quest to be published and to make money doing so.

Sales from the site assist in purchasing new courses, hosting etc., but it's not making a huge amount of money. The site has been running for over two years and has only started to see any profit in the last few months. That means that I can now pay contributors, buy courses and so on.

I'm not out to make a fortune. If I was, I certainly wouldn't be a writer. lol

I hope you take the time to sign up for the new course, which is all about creating and marketing ebooks. (Give me a couple of days to get it up and running!)

Cheryl Wright
http://www.writer2writer.com
http://www.cheryl-wright.com

Hey, everyone, I started this thread to get information about AWAI. The conversation about writer2writer is interesting but may be distracting folks who can help me evaluate AWAI. Mayh I request that you set up a separate thread? Thanks.

Jenna---Did you happen to see my question of 7/11? Thanks.

O'Mullen's Tap

Anyone hear anything about AWAI?

Hello,

Has anyone heard any positive things about AWAI, American Writers & Artists Institute? I see their ads in my email news letters and I got their multi-page letter in the postal mail the other day.

It sounds like a no brainer--spend a little over $500 and get the secrets to making $10,000 or more per letter. But we all know that advertisting isn't always truthful.

My first reaction, of course, is, yeah right--what's the catch?

Any other reactions out there to this?

Thanks
Greg

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Work at home schemes like the one advertised by AWAI are a common form of fraud. They're designed to sell you products, courses, books, etc., most of dubious value. You get to be a professional writer by writing and selling articles or stories, or by working for a writing-oriented business such as a newspaper or magazine--not by taking a course.

The BBB provides this warning about work-at-home schemes: http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=436 (which makes it pretty ironic that the AWAI website displays the BBB Reliability Program logo).

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I don't know anything specific about 'em, but:

If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

And a place in Delray Beach, FL, with a BBB Online Reliabilty Program logo? I look at the BBB logo as a warning sign, not a stamp of approval.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I've actually ordered their copywriting program, and it IS a good course. I don't like their advertising, but the course itself is solid.

whistlin_smithy

Registered
Reaction score
American Writers and Artists Institute

Anyone here a copywriter? And if so, do you know anything about The American Writers and Artists Institute? Or how about Michael Masterson? They are supposed to have a "widely acclaimed" copywriting course. Know anything about it? I found it advertised in a Writers Digest newsletter e-mailed to me. Nothing showed up on Preditors and Editors. I'd appreciate hearing anything you have to say. Thanks.

Whistlin_smithy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Judi Bee
Esteemed New Member

American Writers & Artists Inc.

Is American Writers & Artists Inc., for which I just received an advert, the same company as American Writers & Artists Institute, which is the subject of this thread?

They're both apparently Delray Beach, FL so I suppose they are one and the same.

I was a little puzzled by one poster's remark that the BBB online rating was a bad thing. I thought a BBB standing was a Good Thing, as Martha would say.

The rest of the thread was from 2005. Has any more information surfaced since that time, if the two AWAIs are the same? Scam? Good program? Anybody know?
06-09-2006, 10:33 PM
HapiSofi
Board fanatic
Absolute Sage

I know a lot of pro copywriters. Some of them are superlatively talented. Some of them have been working in the field for decade, and know every trick in the book. Some of them are enormously productive, just energetic as all get-out.

Not one of them is making a six-figure income.
06-12-2006, 01:18 PM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi Bee
Is American Writers & Artists Inc., for which I just received an advert, the same company as American Writers & Artists Institute, which is the subject of this thread?

They're both apparently Delray Beach, FL so I suppose they are one and the same.

I was a little puzzled by one poster's remark that the BBB online rating was a bad thing. I thought a BBB standing was a Good Thing, as Martha would say.

The rest of the thread was from 2005. Has any more information surfaced since that time, if the two AWAIs are the same? Scam? Good program? Anybody know?
Yes, they're the same: http://www.awaionline.com/

A BBB listing is not necessarily a Good Thing because....

--Anyone can pay to join.
--The BBB considers a dispute "resolved" if the member company responds to it. Any response at all. So a company can tell the complainant to take a flying leap and the BBB will still give the company a clean rating.
--If enough complaints pile up to actually give a company a bad rating, the company can ditch it by rejoining under a variation of their name (search through the PA threads for prime examples of why the BBB isn't taken seriously around here).

As for the program itself...as with any "You Can Do It Too!!!" come-on, expect your results to be substantially less than hyped.

JohnnyDeVille

Who knows for sure?

I found my way here via Google while looking for comments, good or bad about American Writers & Artists' Institute . I have read some interesting posts but have yet to find anyone who has actually taken the course. So as interesting as these comments are I would have to call them comments as factually void. This site should have at least one person who has taken the plunge. Ya think ?

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
JohnnyDeVille said:
I found my way here via Google while looking for comments, good or bad about American Writers & Artists' Institute . I have read some interesting posts but have yet to find anyone who has actually taken the course. So as interesting as these comments are I would have to call them comments as factually void. This site should have at least one person who has taken the plunge. Ya think ?
You did read posts #5 and #14 in this very thread, yes?

JohnnyDeVille

Of course

I've read the previous post regarding the AWAI but no one has said much other than they have seen thier material. It would be nice to hear from some one or two who have actually taken the complete course, that is from start to finish and with a little detail added.

JohnnyDeVille

The Sunshine

state and I'm located in SWFL on the Gulf near Tampa. It is sort of a coincidence in as much as I noticed in the AWAI ad that I clicked off Townhall.com that they were in Delray Beach. Delray is about 200mi. to the SE of us on the Atlantic side of my home state. I haven't spent much time at all down there as I don't speak Spanish.
If it's relevent to anyone reading this post, I'm researching AWAI because their ad sounded intriging. I'm a cancer survior and also a liver transplant recipient who hasen't worked in seven years due to health issues. I've always been interested in writing and it would be nice to be able to make some extra money to supliment my retirement. I am not a fool so I don't buy there six figure claims but a cash infusion now and then would be a real nice treat. So, I'm hoping to find someone who has gone through the AWAI course and came out the otherside and is now making some actual money because of it.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Sass... huh? Where did you see anything to be suspicious about in his post? Just because he's in the same (large) state as a company is based doesn't mean he can't ask questions about them!

Johnny, it's a totally fair question. I hope you get answers. And welcome to the board. And congrats on beating cancer!

I didn't take the course-- I ordered the material so I could read through it before deciding whether or not to let them advertise with us. It's several hundred pages long and solid information about copywriting. I don't often disagree with Victoria, but in this case, a copywriting course is no "work at home fraud." It's basically the same as taking a course to improve your skills as a novelist or screenwriter, except that copywriting is usually a more lucrative field.

P.S. Sorry I never saw your second question, Procure. To be honest, I don't remember anything about what the students I corresponded with said aside from the fact that they were all happy with the course they had taken. (That was the second part of my "check-up.") Unfortunately, it was years ago and I don't have those e-mails saved anymore.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live very close to Delray Beach. I apologize for everything.

Mike