Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is it okay to use a title that someone else has already used?

I'm preparing to pitch a column to some magazines. I put 3 sample pieces together and also a heading, for them, which fits the bill pretty well. I did an internet search on this heading/title and only one hit came up for an essay with the same title published in 2004 on somebody's website. Do I have to be concerned about this?
Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Varthikes
Dragon Writer

Varthikes is well-respected
I've seen two different books with the title "The White Dragon". And, there are many movies that have identical titles.

So, I don't think it's a problem. As long as the content is different.

Draconia: Fractured Dream (112,405; complete)
Draconia: Rehatching (119,465 words; complete)
Final Frontier (3030 words; 1 chapter complete)

Now Available:

In print and electronic formats.
Varthikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
"A" Is For "Agent"
Big Meanie Head

"A" Is For "Agent" is well-respected
It's not a problem unless say, you were to call your new memoir, Angela's Ashes.
Or if you were to write a tragic romance novel and call it Titanic. You feel me?
"A" Is For "Agent" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Like others have said, it's been done before. However you should avoid it if you can. And like A for Agent said, definetely avoid using famous titles.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
...cool. Thanks everyone. The essay was on politics and my column is about sports so sounds like I'm safe. Makes sense with the examples you sited A Is For Agent. If I titled a memoir Angela's Ashes readers might confuse mine for it and enable me to profit through association, which definitely wouldn't be right.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Use Her Name
Hot bug on doll action!

Use Her Name is a glorious beacon of lightUse Her Name is a glorious beacon of lightUse Her Name is a glorious beacon of light
Titles are not copyrighted. I find it better to use titles that have not been used on prize winning or popular novels. I was writing a novel once that I called "Angle of Repose" only to find out that a novel of the same name had been published by Wallace Stegner. It was a massive book and the novel he loved the best out of his own work. I could not possibly use the title even though I legally could. Angle of Repose is a geologic/physics term and anyone could use it-- Stegner did the best job with it. Nor would I use "Life on the Mississippi," though I legally can. Like great sports hero's numbers, I think it is a common author's tribute to retire a title when someone has really nailed it.
Use Her Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Ken
and friends . . .

sounds like a good policy, Use Her Name.
Thanks for the very useful info.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
mdin
The late, the great XThe NavigatorX

mdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does that mean I shouldn't name my book Harry Potter and the Raiders of the Lost Ark?

My Art
mdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
Nivarion
Oh no! I lost my Bob Ross Avatar!

Nivarion is a glorious beacon of lightNivarion is a glorious beacon of lightNivarion is a glorious beacon of light
well let me put it like this, names and titles are so uncopyrighted that i could start writing a book called "Gone with the Wind" and use the pen name Margret Michell, and as long as it isn't a novel about a love story in old south, i would be fine.

but for now, im off to the tech section, something is very wrong with my browser...

If there are horrible typos, see the following.

Sent from my IPhone. ... Stupid autocorrect.
Nivarion is offline   Reply With Quote