Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Paying Markets
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Troubadour
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Troubadour is on a distinguished road
Kunati Book Publishers Seek New Authors

Kunati Book Publishers: New Voices, Great Books

Kunati is a different class of publisher (pays advance, royalties, international distribution).

We hunt for original, new voices, untold adventures, memorable characters, stimulating ideas, and entertaining reads.

Have you ever wondered why, in a world full of talent, only a few celebrity authors break through? Many great stories go untold because big publishers focus on the sure thing. This approach fills bookstores with celebrities, scandals, and proven formulas.

For information (bear in mind we're small boutique and can only publish 10 titles a year for now, although we publish only hard cover and fairly sizable first press runs.)

http://www.kunati.com

Before submitting, read our guidelines:

http://www.kunati.com/submissions.html

Our mission is to foster new talent and new voices, so we hope we'll hear from you!
Troubadour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
book_maven
Reader Extraordinaire

book_maven is a shiny, shiny jewelbook_maven is a shiny, shiny jewel
You have a nice site, but I was unable to find a catalog. The only books I could find were two that are due out in early 2007. Do you have books out now? If so, how can I access your catalog? Who is your distributor in the U.S.?
book_maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:32 AM   #3
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hmm...site oriented to fishing for submissions rather than showcasing authors...self-generated press...spelling errors...no concrete info...and what's this? It's registered to Persona Principle which, astoundingly, is Mr. Armstrong's marketing firm. And they share an address http://www.personaprinciple.com/contactus.html

This does not bode well.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
book_maven
Reader Extraordinaire

You're right, Cao, it does not. Interesting. Looking forward to his response.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
Fahim
Mad coder, lazy writer

Fahim should run for PresidentFahim should run for PresidentFahim should run for PresidentFahim should run for PresidentFahim should run for PresidentFahim should run for President
Troubadour, if you're from Kunati, you might want to correct your submissions page The mail address to send queries to is listed as query@kunati.com whereas if somebody clicks on the link, the address that is inserted into their e-mail client is actually query@kunatimedia.com - people might not notice that and if one of those domains is not set up properly and/or does not have the query e-mail addy created, you're not going to get submissions
"My wife loved the dog. The Martian had it, and everybody knew that Martians loved dogs ... as a delicacy. I should have left them to their love triangle but there I was, chasing after the bombed mutt!"
Normal Kint, Honest, the Martian Ate Your Dog - humorous science fiction novel available for FREE download!
Solipsistic Meanderings
Free software for writers (and others too :p)
Fahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Troubadour

Unintended Kunati confusion. Clarity from Derek Armstrong

Hi CaoPaux and Book Maven,

I'm not sure what doesn't bode well (per the posts), but I accept the criticism. Kunati is a start up, founded by six partners, two of whom are authors (myself included) who are trying to build something important for new authors. We see a hole in the publishing industry -- large publishers focused only on existing celebrities on one extreme and small publishers focused on specific genres and industries on the other-- with a yawning gap in between.

We're not hiding the fact we're a start up, but we are trying to present a face of credibility. We have several authors under development and we are seeking more. We plan to publish (royalty and advance paying) to international distribution 10 authors in the next twelve months, 16 the following year.

So, I was a little concerned about "doesn't bode well." The "fishing for authors" I hope I've explained -- were' a committed, credible startup. The marketing firm seems to be the other concern, but that is another business (we share offices and some web resources to save on costs -- very important in publishing). I've been a partner in Persona for two decades. It's actually a creative and strategic services firm, with some of Canada's best talent (rather than a marketing firm in the classical sense) and we've worked with over 300 companies building their brands. I don't see a conflict, but I guess I now see the concern. As graphic designers and creative writers we are arts oriented, many of us are writers ourselves. And Persona is a terrific talent pool for promoting and publicizing Kunati books and our authors.

Kunati's a start up, but it's built for the benefit of new voices and new authors, and by entrepreneurs who have build several businesses (a good thing also.) It's not a charity, but its mission is a good-hearted and straight-forward one -- supporting new authors. I suppose posting an announcement to discussion forums -- in retrospect -- was not a smart move (and I plan to refrain from doing so in future!). I just thought authors would want to know about a potential opportunity. Please spread the word if you feel comfortable. If you're not comfortable, dialogue with me. I'm an author myself.

I have a published non fiction from Simon & Schuster, plus three novels circulating with my agent to various publishers. Only one of my novels will be published by Kunati, because we have a strict rule: principals can only publish one book for every 24 we publish, and to do so requires three other principals to give a "thumbs up." We are committed to publishing a minimum of 5 Canadian authors, as well.

I will gladly disclose more information. There's no secrecy involved here. My signon name is Troubadour, used in several writing groups (including Deadly Prose which is a critique group I founded at my own expense for suspense/mystery/thriller writers, with about 30 members), but my name is Derek Armstrong and I am open and accessible. I am a novelist, writer, friend of the arts, critique group moderator. So, fire away.

But, do bear in mind, we're a well-funded startup with a solid mission. The only relationship to Persona, by the way, is myself, and that's just a "shared investor" relationship.

The site was just launched, no catalogue yet, and we are appreciative of your comments. Thank you Fahim for catching the query@ issue. We'll fix that today.

By the way, Kunati is pro-author, because two of our principals are authors (and the others are passionate about the publishing industry), and we plan to remain accessible to all aspiring and new authors. There'll be no slammed doors here.

My contact info for any who would like to write to me privately:

Derek Armstrong,
Publisher, Kunati Inc.
Author: The Persona Principle (Simon & Schuster), The Game, The Dying Game
www.kunati.com
publisher@kunati.com
By land mail:
2600 Skymark Avenue,12-103
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L4W 5B2

Or, if you prefer my Persona information:
derek@personaprinciple.com

I hope that clarifies. We're here for authors. And we're just getting started, but with ambitious (and we think, noble) plans. So, please help us out, critique our site, give us suggestions, consider us in future for your submissions, even help us form the best publisher out there for new authors. I took these posts in the spirit I hope they were intended: as constructive. And it is helpful, thanks.

By September you should see four titles released by non-principals - or at minimum, announced release dates. The only principal author release will be Song of Montsegur in 2007. Our distributer will be Biblio. We are members of the PMA. I am a member of the Author's Guild, National Writers, Crime Writers of Canada.

I regret any confusion, and remain, Yours Sincerely,
Best, Derek Armstrong
www.songofmontsegur.com
www.deadlyprose.com
Publisher Kunati Inc.
www.kunati.com
Blog: http://kunati.blogspot.com

Last edited by Troubadour; 03-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Troubadour

Email fixed, thank you Fahim

Thank you for pointing that out. It should be fixed. Any and all other criticisms of our new website are most welcome!

Best, Derek Armstrong
www.songofmontsegur.com
www.deadlyprose.com
Publisher Kunati Inc.
www.kunati.com
Old 03-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
Button
Resident in Question

Button is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I know Derek. I was apart of his critic group for a short while. Though the publishing turn is new. Great to see you here Derek. Mind the bunch as they are a weary lot, rightly so though. Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions presented though.

Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
book_maven
Reader Extraordinaire

Thank you, Derek. Best of luck to you in this new venture.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #10
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you, Derek, for “coming out” as it were. You do give the impression you are sincere in your efforts, so let’s see if we can erase some of the warning signs.

Quote:
We see a hole in the publishing industry -- large publishers focused only on existing celebrities on one extreme and small publishers focused on specific genres and industries on the other-- with a yawning gap in between.
This is, unfortunately, the siren song of the self-published. Walk into any bookstore for evidence that no such gap exists.

Quote:
We're not hiding the fact we're a start up, but we are trying to present a face of credibility.
I suggest browsing the sites of established publishers to get a feel for what they say and don’t say. You do have a lovely design, but the lack of concrete information, press from other than yourself, and reviews from known sources does not support your credibility.

Quote:
We have several authors under development and we are seeking more. We plan to publish (royalty and advance paying) to international distribution 10 authors in the next twelve months, 16 the following year.
Frankly, I think you launched too soon. It would give you far greater weight to have more authors pending than just yourself and passing mention of an award-winning copywriter. Wait for the reviews from PW and Kirkus (which you are able to get, yes?) before promoting a book, because the “friends and family” blurbs currently on the page do not lend to your credibility.

Quote:
So, I was a little concerned about "doesn't bode well." The "fishing for authors" I hope I've explained -- were' a committed, credible startup.
If you’ll look at other pubs’ sites, the submissions call and info is (if even present) not the focus of the site. If you’ve distributed your acquisitions info per industry protocol, then agents are already stuffing your mailbox and you're already listed in Jeff Herman's, etc., so unagented writers will find you.

Quote:
The marketing firm seems to be the other concern, but that is another business (we share offices and some web resources to save on costs -- very important in publishing). I've been a partner in Persona for two decades. It's actually a creative and strategic services firm, with some of Canada's best talent (rather than a marketing firm in the classical sense) and we've worked with over 300 companies building their brands. I don't see a conflict, but I guess I now see the concern. As graphic designers and creative writers we are arts oriented, many of us are writers ourselves. And Persona is a terrific talent pool for promoting and publicizing Kunati books and our authors.
I’m very glad you explained that. All too often we’re presented with New & Improved Publisher™ that turns out to be just a self-published guy trying to recoup his costs by getting others to buy in. Cynicism, it ain’t just for dinner anymore.

Quote:
Kunati's a start up, but it's built for the benefit of new voices and new authors, and by entrepreneurs who have build several businesses (a good thing also.) It's not a charity, but its mission is a good-hearted and straight-forward one -- supporting new authors.
Not a charity? I do hope you aren’t implying you'll be charging authors for any aspect of your services….

Quote:
I suppose posting an announcement to discussion forums -- in retrospect -- was not a smart move (and I plan to refrain from doing so in future!). I just thought authors would want to know about a potential opportunity. Please spread the word if you feel comfortable. If you're not comfortable, dialogue with me. I'm an author myself.
Such announcements are not in and of themselves suspect but, as I hope you can understand, we do put them under a microscope to protect the very newbie authors you’re trying to reach. I am, however, uncomfortable using "dialogue" as a verb.

Quote:
I have a published non fiction from Simon & Schuster, plus three novels circulating with my agent to various publishers. Only one of my novels will be published by Kunati, because we have a strict rule: principals can only publish one book for every 24 we publish, and to do so requires three other principals to give a "thumbs up." We are committed to publishing a minimum of 5 Canadian authors, as well.
That also is very encouraging, for reasons I’ve touched upon above.

Quote:
I will gladly disclose more information. There's no secrecy involved here. My signon name is Troubadour, used in several writing groups (including Deadly Prose which is a critique group I founded at my own expense for suspense/mystery/thriller writers, with about 30 members), but my name is Derek Armstrong and I am open and accessible. I am a novelist, writer, friend of the arts, critique group moderator. So, fire away.
Again, welcome and thank you for taking the time to clarify your positions. If only all New & Improved Publishers™ were so forthcoming (heck, we’d be happy if they were so coherent).

Quote:
But, do bear in mind, we're a well-funded startup with a solid mission. The only relationship to Persona, by the way, is myself, and that's just a "shared investor" relationship.
Excellent. Since new pubs rarely break even in less than five years, it’s reassuring to know you have the wherewithal to support the venture. Our boards are littered with horror stories about New & Improved Publishers™ going under and taking the books with them.

Quote:
The site was just launched, no catalogue yet, and we are appreciative of your comments. Thank you Fahim for catching the query@ issue. We'll fix that today.
Thank you for receiving them. Oh, and you spell “distributor” wrong on your contact page.

Quote:
By the way, Kunati is pro-author, because two of our principals are authors (and the others are passionate about the publishing industry), and we plan to remain accessible to all aspiring and new authors. There'll be no slammed doors here.
*cringe* I respectfully suggest reading:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight...40.html#005540

and its sequel

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight...55.html#005555

to understand why such claims raise eyebrows and hackles on boards such as this.

In any case, thank you again for returning to address our concerns, and I wish you the very best in your endeavors.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #11
Troubadour

Thankyou for great feedback

Well said and thoughtful, all of you. I hope you'll continue to keep us on our toes.

Best, Derek Armstrong
www.songofmontsegur.com
www.deadlyprose.com
Publisher Kunati Inc.
www.kunati.com
Old 03-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #12
rtilryarms
Crossbows and Handgonnes
SuperModerator

rtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrtilryarms is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for posting this troub. You're not being attacked. You posted to writers who do not mind pointing out errors and inequities. It is actually the reason this board was set up in the first place. Plus we are a suspicious lot and protect our mates lol.

So welcome to the best darn writer’s board in the Nation and understand that we are hard on each other for the purpose of understanding the improvement curve. I think you will do just fine and will get good educated submissions from this post.

Good Luck!

RT
rtilryarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #13
Troubadour

Thanks RT

I love being critiqued and took it in the spirit intended. As an author, I’m watchful myself. Kunati is my passion, something I hope will become a real asset to my wide circle of author friends (especially my crit group friends who have fantastic novels that have, in some cases, not yet found publishers.) I was a little embarrassed by our typos. I really do hope you’ll keep sending me feedback. We’re adding a lot of new content over the next few weeks to the website, and within a month our first catalogue will appear.

P.S. The site’s now been up five days and was really meant as an “advance” information site, but already we’re delighted to have received over two hundred submissions. Our list of first titles was established before the site went up, and will include members of various crit groups, who have known about this a little longer.

Many thanks.

Best, Derek
www.songofmontsegur.com
www.deadlyprose.com
Publisher Kunati Inc.
www.kunati.com
Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #14
Pat~
Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.

Pat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just happened upon this thread, and wanted to post this as a follow-up:

It's nice to see a company with goals like this succeed.

Every writer is a skater, who must go partly where he would and partly where the skates carry him… ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Inspiration will find you, but it must find you working. ~ Picasso

Website

Life
Pat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
M.R.J. Le Blanc
aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
Mods, feel free to delete this if I'm crossing a line but there is a discussion on the B&BC forum about Kunati: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ghlight=Kunati
M.R.J. Le Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
Pat~

Pat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPat~ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, I'm one, but see no problem with your post. Thanks for letting us know things are unfortunately a little more complicated presently. (I rarely make it into that forum.)

Every writer is a skater, who must go partly where he would and partly where the skates carry him… ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Website

Life
Old 01-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #17
M.R.J. Le Blanc
aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat~ View Post
(I rarely make it into that forum.)
I practically live in it lol. To be fair, that award was received before things started taking a nosedive.
M.R.J. Le Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
Pat~

With all the bad publishing news going on, I was just excited to think that a 'little guy' was making it. (There still are a few out there that are staying afloat, and largely because they are more interested in publishing solid books by many good writers than in putting all their money into a few hopeful blockbusters by celebrities.)

Website

Life
Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 AM   #19
priceless1
Banned

priceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat~ View Post
I just happened upon this thread, and wanted to post this as a follow-up:

It's nice to see a company with goals like this succeed.
Sadly, this is a travesty, and I'm certain that Victoria Sutherland is regretting jumping on this bandwagon so quickly. The horror stories about Kunati's true agenda lends credence to that age old "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" adage. I can't even begin to get into what went on with Derek's Personal Principal, but I would shudder to have been their client. Not some of their finest moments.
priceless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Cherade
Canadian author

Cherade is on a distinguished road
Kunati Books is closing its doors

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...05#post3975405

http://www.cherylktardif.com
http://www.cherylktardif.blogspot.com

I'm also a book marketing coach, so if you need help promoting your book or yourself, email me.

http://www.shamelessbookpromoter.com
Cherade is offline   Reply With Quote